• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Traveling

NDR2

What do people here think about traveling? My family and I traveled a fair bit when I was a child. It could involve summer vacation trips, weekend trips to visit family out of town, and trips during school breaks. I had mixed feelings about it, depending on where we went and where we stayed. I tended to prefer urban areas over rural areas, and staying at motels or hotels over staying at someone’s home or a home we’d rent during our stay. It could be fun and enjoyable, or heavy on the nerves. Sometimes I might have even gotten homesick.

Later when I became an adult I sort of lost interest in traveling. It felt like a lot of work. I guess when you’re a child your parents take care of most of the work involved and guide and help you through. But when it’s all in your hands, it can feel like a lot of trouble. Of course I’d love to see the world, but with all the hardships involved in traveling, I don’t feel very eager to go through with it.

What do you think?

My mother loved travel, so I became familiar with touring as a boy. I was still comfortable with air travel in the 70s, but only used it for events, not scenery. In '77 I did a two month bicycle camping tour, and since then have almost never burned fuel for recreation. With the current climate crisis, I'm doing everything I can to reduce consumption further. I notice that there's just as much to see walking, paddling, or riding a bike as there is driving a car, and it is a lot easier to stop for the interesting bits. I also don't trust my ability to get past a border now, given that I'm prone to make jokes when stressed.

I love traveling. I think it helps to "fit in" because instead of people thinking one is "weird" and to be avoided, they just think "a tourist" or "a foreigner" and are more forgiving of gaffs.

I love traveling. I think it helps to "fit in" because instead of people thinking one is "weird" and to be avoided, they just think "a tourist" or "a foreigner" and are more forgiving of gaffs.
Nope. I'm a foreigner on this planet, and not even a citizen of earth.

I travel in my mind when I need relaxation or that type of entertainment, as the time involved, hassles and expenses outweigh any benefits of doing real-life trips and vacations.

What do people here think about traveling? My family and I traveled a fair bit when I was a child. It could involve summer vacation trips, weekend trips to visit family out of town, and trips during school breaks. I had mixed feelings about it, depending on where we went and where we stayed. I tended to prefer urban areas over rural areas, and staying at motels or hotels over staying at someone’s home or a home we’d rent during our stay. It could be fun and enjoyable, or heavy on the nerves. Sometimes I might have even gotten homesick.

Later when I became an adult I sort of lost interest in traveling. It felt like a lot of work. I guess when you’re a child your parents take care of most of the work involved and guide and help you through. But when it’s all in your hands, it can feel like a lot of trouble. Of course I’d love to see the world, but with all the hardships involved in traveling, I don’t feel very eager to go through with it.

What do you think?
Any time I can get out of the house and travel to someplace new, I will. The plan after I retire is to see the world.

I love travelling.

I grew up in a family that prioritized long road trips to all kinds of places. We would just hop in the car and Mom would announce "Dad's taking us out on another magical mystery tour." We'd be flat broke, and end up all kinds of wonderful places, sleeping in the car or in cheap motels. Usually the destination was some lonely, pristine piece of the American Wilderness, that it felt like only we knew about "our secret spot".

Whenever I have a car, I have a penchant for gently waking my daughter up at two a.m. by whispering to her "Hey, wanna go to California (Idaho, cruise down the coast, etc)?"

Gosh I need another vehicle!

My ideal lifestyle would be semi-nomadic. Having a home base, but driving here and there, staying for a while, getting to know the place, and then moving on, and going home when I need the comforts. But sort of doing a circuit every year of different locales. And mixing it up a bit by searching out new places and spending a few weeks with friends or relatives. And then continuing the grand circuit. It sounds dreamy.

It's really sweet, because I raised my daughter, going on impromptu road trips. And now that she's grown, she sometimes secretly saves up to take me on vacation, on Amtrak or a long bus ride to different locales that she's been itching to see. We'll stay in a hotel for a few days, and explore the area on foot. I'm so blessed.

Last edited:
To me, traveling is just the means to get somewhere. I find the actual traveling to be tedious if it exceeds a couple of hours. I almost always travel to a camping destination. I have no use for cities and crowds.

I love travelling.

I grew up in a family that prioritized long road trips to all kinds of places. We would just hop in the car and Mom would announce "Dad's taking us out on another magical mystery tour." We'd be flat broke, and end up all kinds of wonderful places, sleeping in the car or in cheap motels. Usually the destination was some lonely, pristine piece of the American Wilderness, that it felt like only we knew about "our secret spot".

Whenever I have a car, I have a penchant for gently waking my daughter up at two a.m. by whispering to her "Hey, wanna go to California (Idaho, cruise down the coast, etc)?"

Gosh I need another vehicle!

My ideal lifestyle would be semi-nomadic. Having a home base, but driving here and there, staying for a while, getting to know the place, and then moving on, and going home when I need the comforts. But sort of doing a circuit every year of different locales. And mixing it up a bit by searching out new places and spending a few weeks with friends or relatives. And then continuing the grand circuit. It sounds dreamy.

It's really sweet, because I raised my daughter, going on impromptu road trips. And now that she's grown, she sometimes secretly saves up to take me on vacation, on Amtrak or a long bus ride to different locales that she's been itching to see. We'll stay in a hotel for a few days, and explore the area on foot. I'm so blessed.
I, too, love travelling. I am going to India in two weeks time. When applying for my visa there was a question on the form asking where I had been in the past 10 years. It was a bit tricky because I have a new passport now, but eventually I was able to correctly list the 18 countries I’d visited in that time.

Most of my trips have been for professional reasons, but I’d always squeeze in a bit of sightseeing. Again, I also dream of going somewhere different, settling in for a while, getting a feel for what it is like to live there, then find somewhere new.

What do you think?
Love traveling. It is best when I'm discovering new geography, or a new culture. Novelty makes me high. As long as I have food to eat and a way to keep the rain off and cold out, I'm happy. A tent is fine or a sleeping pad in the back of a van.

What hardships? It's all good.

I used to live in a popular tourist destination. It wasn't the mainstay of the economy, but there were always some around. The campground where I'd ride my bike to got expensive and very crowded. Then I tried a kayak. In the same time, I could get to a small island and share it with just a few other people I could avoid easily, for free.

I like seeing new places. even though I ride them a fair bit I hate planes. Being stuck in a flying metal bird with many people bunched together is very stressful. I can't wait until we just have underwater trains connecting every continent and country together.

I like seeing new places. even though I ride them a fair bit I hate planes. Being stuck in a flying metal bird with many people bunched together is very stressful. I can't wait until we just have underwater trains connecting every continent and country together
Being bunched together with many people in a metal cylinder underwater wouldn't be stressful?

The economics of flying vs construction and maintenance of Transocean tunnels or passenger submarine trains makes the train scenario unlikely.

Being bunched together with many people in a metal cylinder underwater wouldn't be stressful?

The economics of flying vs construction and maintenance of Transocean tunnels or passenger submarine trains makes the train scenario unlikely.
it would still be stressful but not as stressful. I feel like on trains having those train stops really helps me. But a 10 hour flight really gets to me and I start to feel sick.

I usually have to ask for one of those bags about halfway thorugh the flight so I can use that every so often to control my breathing.

it would still be stressful but not as stressful. I feel like on trains having those train stops really helps me. But a 10 hour flight really gets to me and I start to feel sick.
An trip under the Atlantic would be far more than 10 hours, and the Pacific, much more than that.

I vote for the matter teleportation machines.

Not a fan. I hate leaving my cats alone even though someone feeds them and I just spend time away anxious and worried about them and the house in case anything happens. I also loathe flying so travel is not for me...

New Threads

Top Bottom