• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Totally Rejected

Well, the word "honor" in the original hebrew is kabad/kabed כָּבַד which is a verb and translates roughly to:
to be heavy, weighty, or burdensome
which doesn't actually sound like what we originally thought it meant. It honestly reads as "Be a burden to your parents so your days may be long..." Scholars have debated this but the general consensus is that the verse means to take your parents on as a burden in their old age, taking care of them as they took care of you.

It doesn't mean you have to rely on them for comfort or validation. The following blessing "so that your days may be long on the land which Jehovah your God has given you." The word for "to be long" is arak אָרַך and it can have another meaning- to endure. So keep in mind that the verse could easily be read in a completely different light saying something like "Be subjective to your parents and endure for a long time as this is what you are called to do." The release of this comes in the form of marriage when two people leave the parents to start their own family.

That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh. Genesis 2:24

For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. Ephesians 5:31

"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? Matthew 19:4-5 (Jesus)

When your parents get to the point where they need someone to take care of them, when they become a "burden" by definition, it is the offsprings' place to see to it they are taken care of. This honors their role as parent in the end as the responsibility comes full circle. It doesn't mean you have to treat them equally and fairly as they treated you, that's not how we are called to behave. You treat them how you are supposed to regardless of how you feel they treated you.

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. Matthew 7:12

Do to others as you would have them do to you. Luke 6:31

Note that Jesus Himself said this in the famous Sermon on the Mount.

But again, that doesn't mean you have to be constantly involved in the little things. And even if they reject your love, if that is true and you do believe in the scriptures, you are not going to be held accountable for everyone else's actions, only your own. Be a loving person, even if you receive none in return.

Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Matthew 24:12-13

Let the one who does wrong continue to do wrong; let the vile person continue to be vile; let the one who does right continue to do right; and let the holy person continue to be holy." Revelation 22:11

You focus on being a loving, caring person and you keep a kindness in your heart that endures all and that is what you will be known to God by in the end. If you are a true light, then you will shine on others, if they do not join in the light, it is not your fault. But you must remain loving and do not fall into despair or anger; you mustn't take your idea of justice out on others for it is not your place.
ChurchTheArtist , I agree 100% with God's Word and I will honor them and won't have a problem with tending to their frailty age. And,this is off topic, but I must applaud you for your in depth knowledge of The Bible in Hebrew^^^^^. I got saved in October 2012 and read His Word daily and I TRY HARD to meditate and allow It to absorb, but this is when my Aspergers & PTSD symptoms flare up and the next thing I know, I'm heavily frustrated and upset and crying because I LOVE GOD SO MUCH and it's like my brain goes into lock down mode and I can't absorb The Bible like I want to. My brain gets tired and my adversary screams at me...not little intimidating whispers. Well, enough about me, I salute you for your Godly wisdom!!!

Oh, and I am a sweetheart and I am not ashamed to say I love Jesus. And, I'm compassionate, loving, generous, and very charitable. I'm a giver, not a taker ; a lover,not a fighter. I'm going to make it! I have a learning disability in which I easily misconstrue things, take things out of correct context and cognitive issues. This is what I truly need help with. I am overly sensitive , caring and I get emotional when I am sad.... isn't this the appropriate response??? Crying when you hurt!?!?!? I scored 123 on IQ test, which translates to superior intelligence. Not a genius by any means. I just need imagination and vision since I take things literally and get laughed at when I don't understand the punchlines. I'm sorry to keep rambling on & on.

I think every family is dysfunctional to some degree. The bible says no one is righteous, no not one, and all have sinned, among other verses. When things go wrong with people in your life, remember it's just part of living in a fallen world. People do and say things constantly that have nothing to do with reality but are the out working of their sin natures of pride, covetousness, lust, envy, etc..
The real measure of your worth is what God says about you. "God so loved the world," that he came for you. Jesus said he would never leave or forsake you, and the day will come when he returns to bring his people (you) home to the New Jerusalem. You are worth that in God's eyes so go stand tall and live your life with love and enthusiasm. Jesus came that we might have life and have it more abundantly.

I think every family is dysfunctional to some degree. The bible says no one is righteous, no not one, and all have sinned, among other verses. When things go wrong with people in your life, remember it's just part of living in a fallen world. People do and say things constantly that have nothing to do with reality but are the out working of their sin natures of pride, covetousness, lust, envy, etc..
The real measure of your worth is what God says about you. "God so loved the world," that he came for you. Jesus said he would never leave or forsake you, and the day will come when he returns to bring his people (you) home to the New Jerusalem. You are worth that in God's eyes so go stand tall and live your life with love and enthusiasm. Jesus came that we might have life and have it more abundantly.
Amen! Thank you!

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty". - Mahatma Gandhi

Since you're not me, you obviously do not deserve that treatment.

YOU deserve the Mom who, despite having her moments, loves you no matter what. YOU deserve the Dad who does the same. YOU deserve the maiden aunt who you strive to be nice to in return for the kindness she gives. YOU deserve my own family more than I do.
Except my brother. You REALLY don't deserve that intolerant jerk. No one deserves him.

My brother used to and still says Mom doesn't love me. That I don't belong. Those kinds of things. We had to make a rule where I CANNOT interact with him.

What is wrong with you brother....that is a horrible thing to say.
My sympathies:(

He should try to help his sister?:confused:

New Threads

Top Bottom