• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Therapist Do's and Don'ts

I had "care" as child and sadly it didn't work out and I never went back. I would say, don't treat aspergers as a condition or disability. For most patients it is simply who they are. You can't "fix" someone's personality and it is insulting to try. However, there are certain aspects that can benefit from help such as recognising impending meltdowns, coping with sensory overload, dealing with isolation and loneliness.

Unfortunately my experience in therapy was not a good one.
Firstly she wanted to know why I wasn't taking anti-depressants, I tried to explain that I'd been taking them for twelve months with no improvement and lots of extremely bad side effects. She told me that I needed to take them for longer than 6 weeks to see any improvements, really your not listining, I've just said I'd been on them twelve months, listening is literally your job. She also dismissed the negative side effects saying fatigue was not due to the tablets as they had a stimulant in. It took a quick glance at the box to see that wasn't true.
She only gave advice that made my sensory issues worse, like putting on background music, I can't hear what people are saying and it makes me angry. Also I have procrastination and organisation issues, teeth brushing Is one of them. Her advice was just get on with things, thanks but I already knew that, my problem is I cant. One of my friends fell out with me and assumed my partner and I didn't have autism and our actual problem was drug or alcohol problems, I told her this and explained it was a bad judgement because we were teetotal. My therapist said I should ring said friend and apologise. But we haven't done anything wrong! Think my friend should give us an apology. She didn't believe I had been bullied in the past and said it was all in my head. Sorry but you can't imagine bullying- especially physical violence. Different if I'd ever been psychotic, but I haven't. She kept asking open questions( just don't have the ability to respond to those) and asking when was the last time I felt normal. I tried to explain anxiety and insomnia had been life long. She didn't seem to get it. The worst was when she diagnosed me with health anxiety, because I was very worried about his health, she told me not take him to the doctors as this too was all in my head, he was later diagnosed with Mutiple sclerosis!!! He literally missed out on very important medication. So bitter about it. Sorry about the rant, really wanted to get this off my chest. I wast officially diagnosed with As at the time, and actually it did help me realise maybe general anxiety and depression wasn't my only problem. So I'm thankful for that.
First of all: :mad::mad::mad::rage::screamcat::angry:. Where on earth did that therapist receive her training? I would have been hard pressed not to lose my temper with such a creature! Sorry that you had to waste your time with that idiot! Therapy shouldn't make you regret coming, nor should you have to be a captive audience so that they can fire salvos of incompetency at you. I sincerely hope that you won't be returning there. Ugh! Did she have any familiarity with AS?

First of all: :mad::mad::mad::rage::screamcat::angry:. Where on earth did that therapist receive her training? I would have been hard pressed not to lose my temper with such a creature! Sorry that you had to waste your time with that idiot! Therapy shouldn't make you regret coming, nor should you have to be a captive audience so that they can fire salvos of incompetency at you. I sincerely hope that you won't be returning there. Ugh! Did she have any familiarity with AS?
I know!! I'm so bitter and angry about it. It's been a couple of years since it happened. Thinking about it now, probably should of put a complaint in. Looking back it's ludicrous behaviour from a trained therapist.
I left after few sessions, wouldn't dare go back!! I actually discourage people to go to the service. She admitted she knew nothing about ASD. Which explains alot.I heard from other people having problems with the service, so it wasn't personal to me, just incompetence. Me and my partner now have a diagnosis of ASD and had some post-diagnostic support with a fantastic ASD clinical physiologist and assistant psychologist. Can't praise them enough!
I think I just had a bad egg there!
It felt really good to write it out tho.
Crazy life experience!!

Just because I go to church on occasion does not give you the right to tell me what to do there. If I want to get involved in something there, I will. It is not your place as a therapist to tell me what to do at church. If I don't feel comfortable discussing something with you, don't pressure me into discussing it because that's only going to make me even more uncomfortable and you're just going to get yourself fired. Don't make me have to repeat myself over and over all the time. Isn't it your job to listen to what I have to say? I could go on forever.

New Threads

Top Bottom