• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The odd one out. Can anyone relate?

I have indeed, many times. But most of those people don't know and/or understand autism/Aspergers. Some people told me they pitied me for having Aspergers, and I would just laugh and say, "Pity what? That I'm much nicer than you."

the savant thing is kind of wrong. some people with a special interest might develop that interest to the point that they are one of the best in their field, but that's it. some "savant" capabilities might also involve traits not specifically associated with autism, such as the guy who can draw cities by memory, who probably has a photographic memory as well as having art as a special interest.
I agree lumi iii ,I don't know if I qualify as a true savant or not, how does one measure that empirically? And my magical traits....(the non interest abilities), are in a area that is very hard to test. I'm not going into details for personal reasons....but but my genetic family history gives me a 20% chance of being the real thing.

And the savant thing is not as romantic as it sounds ...it is a two edged sword....suffering and feet of clay come with it on other fronts. The argument of Curse, or Blessing, is difficult to settle sometimes, it all depends on which moment in time you are standing in. :( or :cool:

Last edited:
I'm no savant in fact I have struggle with feeling dumb all my life,I can draw but I don't see myself as a talent even though I have had people say I am,I constantly feel misunderstood by a lot of people in real life and also have issue of been able to relate to others,I even feel like the odd one out in my own family,i also have been called dumb while I was in school and also a guy I was seeing once refer to me as dumb behind my back,it is hard but I am learning not to be too hard on myself about these things because it's doing nothing for my self esteem.

I'm no savant in fact I have struggle with feeling dumb all my life,I can draw but I don't see myself as a talent even though I have had people say I am,I constantly feel misunderstood by a lot of people in real life and also have issue of been able to relate to others,I even feel like the odd one out in my own family,i also have been called dumb while I was in school and also a guy I was seeing once refer to me as dumb behind my back,it is hard but I am learning not to be too hard on myself about these things because it's doing nothing for my self esteem.
You draw very nicely Adora and I'm sure you are better at a number of things in life than me. I'm guessing you know quite a bit about Make up and comic books....collecting comic books can make real money$, and looking lovely never hurt anyone in life.

P.S Don't tell anyone but the savant thing means you get to be extra rotten at some things too...Shhhh! don't let the :cat: out of the bag!

Its only been very recently that after doing a personal development course (person centred counselling) at college that I realised a lot of differences between myself and others.

All my life I've had this silenced cry for help and support, been fobbed off by doctors, dragged friends down with my never ending 'repetitive puzzles', lost people closest to me.

Yet, I wouldn't hurt a fly.

Since discovering this 'aspergers', i'm like 'where's my super power'?, 'where's my talent?'.

I feel like I really have the short straw and feel totally cheated.

Can anyone else relate to this?

I can relate to feeling like my talents and things I'm good at don't help me very much at being more successful in life. It's hard for me to see the positive of aspergers since it does often make life easier for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom