• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Figure of Speech That You Dislike The Most

"he cleaned his clock"

I still really don't get this one. What does clocks have to do with knocking some one out? The first time I heard that I remember thinking "why would some one be so nice to clean their clock and then punch them in the face?"

I don't understand many figures of speech.

I also believe figures of speech, beyond confusing vocal exchange, are wastes of time and a lazy way of communicating.

People rely on mundane, comical and provincial statements to get a point across? Just speak your mind without the camouflage.
I don't understand many, but I like the ones I understand. They have flavours, like food, so I use them as flavours in conversation. However, I like to invent my own when I write in a creative fit. I noticed I have a resistance to the existing figures of speech, like they are forced on me or something.

I hate when people use negatives and expect you to give the incorrect answer. For example, if someone was asking me if I didn't like something, they would say, "do you not like that?" And the correct answer would be "yes," not "no"! And when I answer correctly, they always look at me in an odd way. It's ridiculous.
UGH, tell me about it (is that another figure of speech that everyone hates?).
It seems like a lot of people have an issue with negative interrogatives. I also see people on the bus every day who are confused to death with "do you mind if I...?" No...Yes..I mean, sure! I mean, no I don't. It's been their language for generations, and they still can't figure it out. This is the reverse case of a negative interrogative, just as confusing.

Oh, why didn't I think of this one before. "same difference" it's just pathetic. With the "difference" part, you're admitting that there's a difference, and contradicting yourself after you've denied the difference by saying "same". Everyone can see you'e in denial.
Could it be the same difference mathematically though? Or are we talking figurative speech here only?
In Odessa, there is this famous figure of speech "these are two big differences" meaning "these are two very different things".

"how are you?" yep definitely on my most annoying list-most of the time its completely insincere and they never like my answers.
I cope by using a translator tool in my head "they mean to say hello, they mean to say hello, they mean to say hello".
Algorithm: If someone says "how are you", don't panic. Say "how are you" back even if you feel like the dumbest person on earth doing that. Because people will understand the gesture, even if you don't.

Indeed. I also hate "kill 2 birds with one stone", such sadism. I hope one day it becomes a metaphor for one wrong choice claiming 2 victims, acknowledging that a bird's death is not a happy event. Although I don't mind "let's not flog a dead horse" so much, but if you removed the "dead" and made it refer to horses in general, it would be an even better piece of advice.
In Russian it's to "kill two hares". No stone involved. Tells you a lot about the hunting history of either culture.

"he cleaned his clock"

I still really don't get this one. What does clocks have to do with knocking some one out? The first time I heard that I remember thinking "why would some one be so nice to clean their clock and then punch them in the face?"

To clean someone's clock, to phr. [1940s+] (orig. US) ...link to U.S. railroad jargon _clean the clock_, to apply the airbrakes and thus bring the train the train to a sudden stop. The 'clock' in question is the air gauge, which on halting, immediately registers zero and is thus 'clean']
From _Cassel's Dictionary of Slang_ by Jonathon Green.
Re: Getting your clock cleaned

had to look up what figure of speech meant,and it sounds like figure of speech is a figure of speech itself.

personaly cannot stand it when people say;
'its like banging my head off a brick wall'.
am a acute headbanger who gets padded helmets prescribed on the NHS, and dont feel that injuring or KOing self on a wall is anywhere near the same sort of thing as what theyre saying.

"A minute on the lips, a lifetime on the hips."

You don't taste with the lips. Why would you want to have food on your lips? It's gross. Also, fat gets metabolised. Just because you eat it doesn't mean it'll stay in your body for the rest of your natural life.

When someone writes something incorrect or insensitive and then calls it a 'typo'. A 'typographical error' is when you're touch-typing and hit the wrong keys. If you typed what you intended to type at that moment and someone calls you out, you can't blame the 'typewriter' (computer).

Just like what most people call 'computer glitches' are actually user error. It drives me nuts when people try to blame the tools for their own mistakes. Ugh!!

"Well, what I was trying to say before I was so rudely interrupted is..."

This is a figure of speech that my mother has used on me to varying effect over the years and I lately have discovered that I am actually using it now myself.
Having said that shames me, because I hate those words used on me as she more often says that phrase even when I haven’t interrupted her!
UGH, the passive-aggressive manipulative parents. Gotta love them. Mine said "you have no conscience and no sense of responsibility!" when I didn't fit their standards. I was overly responsible to start with, but not following their rules 100% accurately was considered a criminal offence.
It always killed me, and now I am overly sensitive to irresponsible and uncaring people.

"Watch your eyes." I'd rather hear, "Put on some goggles" instead of "Watch your eyes."
Is it even possible to watch your eyes? Or are you always watching your eyes? At least it doesn't sound as painful as "keeping your eyes peeled".

Is it even possible to watch your eyes? Or are you always watching your eyes? At least it doesn't sound as painful as "keeping your eyes peeled".
"I'll keep an eye out for you"...sounds kinda nasty and messy

"It's not the end of the world". It reminds me of the time when I was about 7 years old and there was a really bright red sunset, my older sister told me that the world was going to end, and I believed her and was terrified.

"Cheer up, it might never happen" Grrrrrrr!!

New Threads

Top Bottom