• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Strange Things You Eat

I wouldn't call that strange, that's just a good blue steak - order a steak blue at a restaurant next time you get the opportunity. Casual dining places usually refuse to cook them that way, or the cook cant do a blue steak but, a restaurant that has a chef, which is usually a mid to high end dinning establishment, should accommodate you and, prepare a proper blue steak for you on request.

I think I'm pretty down to earth (non diva like) but, when it comes to steak, I flip that "diva switch" and, have sent one back as many as four times because it was not right. Just a side note, best blue steaks in the USA are Emeril's New Orleans, Emeril's MGM, Delmonicos, and Bobby Flay Steak in Atlantic City. Other places have very good ones like Culpepper Cattle Company but not the absolute best.[/Q

I have not heard of a blue steak before, thank you for that information. The next time we go to a high end restaurant, I am going to order a blue steak. Your right about the casual restaurants, they refuse to cook them that way.

Reading everyone's food habits reminded me of childhood foods, mayonnaise sandwiches, fresh lettuce from the garden that we put sugar on and rolled up and ate, chunks of homemade bread and fresh peas covered and floating in cream.

Makes me think of my grandma.
She put milk on lettuce and
sugar on sliced tomatoes.

All of this food talk of unusual combinations reminds me of my grandpa Shar. He put vinegar an spinach but, that isn't the funny part. He had a speech impediment and could not pronounce the "v" sound so, he would say "pass the bignegar." He did that once when a black family was having dinner with us and the reaction from them was absolute mortification that he would say that. LOL. [they thought he said "pass the big ******."] *Not racist or prejudice at all, just clarifying an amusing story from my youth.*

Were you to imbibe my customary hot beverage
(green tea w/ a BOATLOAD of blammo raw GINGER),
you would look like this:

images

All of this food talk of unusual combinations reminds me of my grandpa Shar. He put vinegar an spinach but, that isn't the funny part. He had a speech impediment and could not pronounce the "v" sound so, he would say "pass the bignegar." He did that once when a black family was having dinner with us and the reaction from them was absolute mortification that he would say that. LOL. [they thought he said "pass the big ******."] *Not racist or prejudice at all, just clarifying an amusing story from my youth.*
I'm glad you spelled it out, because I automatically gave him a Spanish accent and couldn't figure it out:"I am bery, bery happy with this dish, but pass the bignegar, por fabor!" According to my Spanish classes, all Bs are pronounced like Vs and that's one of the harder consonants for a native Spanish speaker to do when they learn English.

i used to have some odd combos.... which i still like. it all just depends on my mood as to what i want

like.. in higschool my drafting class was 1 1/2hrs so usually we would go across the street for lunch (weren't supposed to.. but the teacher was cool) and i usually had a coffee and tuna sandwich (mind you this was about 10th grade). likewise every now and then i'll want pickles (regular dill flavor, not the other flavor) and vanilla ice cream

i also used to make little bacon and egg sandwiches as a kid... by which i mean, putting some scrambled egg between 2 pieces of bacon lol.

i also used to mix drinks as a kid where i would take any beverage we had in the house.. and make 1 big cup full. so it all depended on what would be in the house... usually cola, root beer, sprite, some tea, koolaid, a little milk and occasionally some of the vanilla flavored "carnation instant breakfast"

i would also mix a lot of food in a pile of mush... so long as there was no sauce or gravy on it. so i would have pot roast with mashed potatoes, squash, corn, carrots and peas in a big pile all mixed together. basically it was the only way i'd eat the carrots since they were always a bit crunchy and i don't like crunchy stuff (except bacon.. but it's like a deteriorating crunch. 1 bite and it isn't crunchy)

ontop of just specific ways the food had to be cut and such. for the longest time i refused to order pancakes at restaurants because they stack them on the plate and there's not enough space to separate them so i can cut them in tic tac toe shapes . i had to have the corners first, then larger end pieces, then the center pieces (still do it whenever possible.. but i will eat pancakes outside. it still bugs me that i can't cut it right though)

Often get remarks on the fact that I eat the core of an apple as well (not the seeds because those are said to be mildly toxic)

I also like the taste of paracetamol somehow but I can't stand the texture/taste of bread and potatoes

Last edited:
I love potatoes. But usually I'll only eat them if they're mashed with a fork and not the mixer. My favorite is when my mom peels them and then boils them, then serves them that way so I can mash my own. Baked potatoes are okay too, but I prefer boiled.
Also, every evening I eat chocolate chips and almonds. Just plain chocolate chips with about 20 almonds, in a small bowl. And milk, of course.
Idk, I think these are unusual. :p Also, I used to pair cheese crackers with chocolate milk.

I'm told I eat like a toddler cereal, chicken strips, breakfast for dinner and Kraft dinner I'm not into fancy food. My strange thing is the fact that if someone touches food that's on my plate I can't eat it, or if foods left on the counter not covered up (like cookies cooling) I won't eat it. I also won't cook or use any meat, eggs, milk etc... Unless I know when it was bought.

I just got accuse of eating weird things over a peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich and, a bowl of tomato soup. I told him to buzz off, one of my dental implant studs is infected, I'm lucky I can eat anything. (I don't think eating powdered tetracycline counts, it tastes worse than horrible but, I can't get to my dentist until next week and, the infection can't wait that long so, I'm using what I have.)

When I was Perú, I ate some guinea pig. Of course, down there it isn't weird at all, and they have commercials with dancing guinea pigs in them, kind of like our commercials for bacon.

You can kill a person with the arsenic from half a cup of appleseeds. So I'm told.
Cyanide....

When I had rabbits a friend of mine was really anxious/shook up
that I gave the rabbits an apple now and then. "Oh, you should never
feed them.....seeds." What did she think wild rabbits did? Sort out
the seeds from the apples that fell on the ground? [Maybe they do.]
Anyway, it wasn't as if they had nothing at all to eat but apple SEEDS.
There was the apple.

Anyway.....
http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/apples.asp
http://www.livestrong.com/article/188977-apple-seed-toxicity/
http://chemistry.about.com/od/healthsafety/f/Do-Apple-Seeds-Contain-Poison.htm
http://jarvissa.blogspot.com/2009/09/how-to-kill-yourself-with-apple-seeds.html

Cyanide....

When I had rabbits a friend of mine was really anxious/shook up
that I gave the rabbits an apple now and then. "Oh, you should never
feed them.....seeds." What did she think wild rabbits did? Sort out
the seeds from the apples that fell on the ground? [Maybe they do.]
Anyway, it wasn't as if they had nothing at all to eat but apple SEEDS.
There was the apple.

Anyway.....
http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/apples.asp
http://www.livestrong.com/article/188977-apple-seed-toxicity/
http://chemistry.about.com/od/healthsafety/f/Do-Apple-Seeds-Contain-Poison.htm
http://jarvissa.blogspot.com/2009/09/how-to-kill-yourself-with-apple-seeds.html
I know, right? A seed or two isn't dangerous. (Doesn't taste too good though.) A girl from Rhode Island that I worked with rolled her eyes at it because she grew up eating gobs of apples fresh out of an orchard. I didn't have the patience to raid the rice aisle for a demonstration of how many seeds it would take and then do the long math by dividing the rice grains by 4-6 to show how many apples that would take. Not counting some of the finer details I wasn't aware of in your links about the evaporation or difficult-to-digest seed casings.

Apples are not the only thing we eat from plants which have toxic parts, or that are toxic to non humans. Chocolate, onions, cruciferous vegetables, potatoes, tomatoes, even eggplant (it contains small amounts of nicotine which would be toxic at high levels.) And those are just a few of the borderline toxic things we eat. Apricot seeds are toxic, the cashew apple itself is, but the seeds are safe to eat... the list goes on.

Man made things are worse, like cola syrup - the concentrated form of it is shipped as a hazardous material, it's that corrosive yet, when mixed with sweetener and carbonated water, we drink the corrosive substance by the gallons.

The only thing I can think of is I like potatoes raw sometimes.

New Threads

Top Bottom