• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Strange Things You Eat

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
There is a lot of fuss and focus on what all people on the spectrum won't eat due to flavor, texture, and whatnot. What about all things we will eat that everybody else doesn't want to touch? :yum:

I like crunchy and I like spicy. So things I eat that other people tend to lay their ears back about is:
- Pizza bones/crusts. I save mine for last so it's like getting a platter of breadsticks, and if it's somebody I don't mind eating after, they usually give me theirs too since they don't like them.
- Pepper stems. Ya know those funny little pepperoncini peppers that some people put on sub sandwiches? I eat them stems and all, so sometimes I'm given stems from others.
- Well done bread and chicken. If we ever get tough toast, or the crust is too tough, or something fried was a little too fried, it usually ends up on my plate because I'll enjoy eating it. Not a fan of croutons though, they're too salty tasting.

The only people I eat after though is immediate family. I figure their germs are already well integrated into my system from having grown up around them (parents, sibling), raised them (offspring), or married them (husband only), so so long as there is no slobber on it, down the hatch!

I like my spicy to accentuate and compliment my meal, not overpower it. One of my relatives (heavily suspected on the spectrum) has a full pepper fetish and is currently growing ghost peppers. They really like the spicyness! Too much for me, I want to taste the meat and veggies too, not just the peppers.

Canned green beans + peanut butter + nutritional yeast + 6 raisins.
For breakfast, 2012.

Current breakfast =
peanut butter, almond meal, nutritional yeast, carob powder, prunes, water.

I am a rather adventurous eater. I like octopus, calamari and, sea cucumber all in one dish.

I eat raw kale with a Thai chili and peanut butter dressing on it.

I am a fan of offal (liver, kidney, heart, gizzard, even chitlings - that's the inner lining of intestines, usually pig but, deer and beef are good too.)

Espresso powder is a wonderful seasoning for any red meat in my kitchen.

Ground coffee makes a nice crisp crust for beef, bison and venison roasts.

Goat with sesame butter and honey is delightful.

I can't resist fried green tomatoes, pickled eggs or pickled pigs feet.

Odd things that I eat?

Don't eat anything odd, it all seems usual to me.

Do you mean something like Elf eating cotton balls in the waiting room? Don't do anything like that, but I did smile, just like the little girl did while looking away;)

Can't stomach things with eyes that look at me, like whole crabs and lobsters or fish with their heads on. Although I've cooked a lot of that kind of thing, just prefer not to eat it myself.
Recall my little nephew looking at me as everyone tucked into a lobster dinner and we had salads, saying "Ya know Auntie Mia, those things are insect bottom feeders, they eat all the fish poop that falls to the ocean floor." I laughed for a while, and I have to agree with the little guy.

But, I didn't properly read your question. I do eat things that other people dislike. Things like pickles, pickled eggs, I grow a lot of herbs and put them on everything. Eat a lot of japanese food with chopsticks, sticky rice, sushi, tofu and make lots of different kinds of food.

Last edited:
The white pith lining of lemon and orange peel but only organic ones. It's like bread. Also like liver, but again only from organically raised, grass-fed beef or chickens. I don't like eating eyeballs, either Mia. always asked my mom to cut the heads off the trout and she'd be all, 'it's a waste of good food.'
On backpacks if knats or mosquitos fell in my stew, I pretend not to see them, and really, it is not noticeable.
My dad once told my daughter, when she was about 5 years old and had a healing skinned knee, to just eat the scab that falling off. That grossed her out. I told her grandpa was kidding, but he wasn't.

Everyone made fun of me for boiling lettuce. But that's how I was raised! My dad "cooked" every meal by putting instant noodles in a pot with water and putting an assortment of random vegetables in it. Lettuce was always the thing that came last. I never ate anything raw. I only started doing that once I was living on my own; and it took quite some time to adjust to. It was a cultural thing, I suppose.

That said, my culture is known for eating all sorts of weird / uncomfortable things, but I spared myself from all of that by being vegetarian.

I grow several herbs out in the garden, and today I harvested the Greek Oregano. When I put all the little branches on some clean paper to dry, the tiny flowers (size of a pinhead) started falling off. So I slid them all into my hand, about teaspoon-full, and ate them, and they were as sweet as honey. :)

I like liverwurst or peanut butter sandwiches. I like most vegetables except onions. I like yogurt but I cant eat it once I look at it. Anything like it either including ice cream.. the look of it makes me sick but I like it if I don't think about it and just eat it without looking. I'm pretty picky and if anyone gets close to my food I have to throw it away. Just the idea they breathed close to it makes it breathed on. I also have a sweet tooth sometimes and others I don't even like the idea of candy.. not sure what makes me feel one way or the other but I have gone years without sugar only to decide I want candy for awhile and back and forth. I like to eat home made bread also.

I don't think pickled turnips are weird, but my
sister won't eat them. I also don't think a
peanut butter onion sandwich is strange either.
Or peanut butter pickle sandwich.

Or that old favorite, mush with wieners.
A pint of milk with corn meal cooked in it,
a hot dog sliced, and some maple syrup.

Apparently eating pork rinds with cinnamon and sugar-free maple-flavored syrup is weird. I only started to eat pork rinds a few months ago and found them bland, but they had a very subtle taste that reminded me a little of french toast sticks. Plus, cinnamon and syrup is all I really had on hand. So, it made sense to put them together. I was told it was weird to eat something savory with something so sweet, but I think they're crazy, 'cause pork products, cinnamon, and maple syrup are a match made in heaven.

- Pizza bones/crusts. I save mine for last so it's like getting a platter of breadsticks, and if it's somebody I don't mind eating after, they usually give me theirs too since they don't like them.

I used to love them before I got diagnosed with Celiac Disease and would do the same thing as a kid. It drove me crazy when people wasted them. Why waste the best part of a pizza?

I guess I don't eat anything that weird. In fact, I find some rather mundane foods like mushrooms and oysters absolutely intolerable.

When I was younger I would make cheese and peanut butter sandwiches and put them in the microwave so everything melted. I still find them tasty, but stopped eating them because they give me heart burn.

I am a bit obsessed with spicy food. I put hot sauce on all sorts of things, including mashed potatoes.

I love blackened potato chips. Apparently they have machines that remove these chips using visual algorithms and air guns. I would seriously love it if they started selling these rejected chips all on their own.

I eat apple cores and like to chew on banana peels.

This doesn't qualify as eating strange things, but rather as eating strangely. I will often lick plates and bowls when I am done. People find this disturbing, so I tend to only do it around people who I know have a high tolerance for my eccentricities.

I feel so boring and diet challenged now. :eek:

I am a bit obsessed with spicy food. I put hot sauce on all sorts of things, including mashed potatoes.
I dunno about mashed potatoes, but you can't have turnip greens without a little hot sauce at the ready.

Oh I am boring then! But due to severe stomach issues, I REALLY have to be careful what I eat.

I am a lover of herbes but cannot cope with spices.

I am addicted to chicken breasts that are flattened and then coated in herbes and I could eat them every day, but common sense tells me I would get sick of them.

Food is something that I love but also, am particular who I eat around.

My husband considers me loving custard is gross and porridge ie oats. I actually used to heat chocolate and add custard and although looked repulsive, I loved it, but now stopped eating chocolate.

No, I have no strange eating habits; but that could be due to my childhood, which I shall not elaborate on.

Datura said: "I would make cheese and peanut butter sandwiches and put them in the microwave so everything melted. I still find them tasty, but stopped eating them because they give me heart burn."

I liked that, too. Goat cheese (that I made) with slice of Vidalia onion
and peanut butter, whole wheat or partly rye bread (that I made). Some
home made mustard, too. Drinking root beer helped my digestion. I
liked this for breakfast, when I still had goats.

When i was young my brother showed me how to make ice cream sandwiches.....with bread and maple syrup. I thought they were nice at the time.
If i had my way i would have wasabi with everything, soo good

I love spicy and crunchy. My toast always has to be well done. I can eat hot curries which many people won't eat. Many people don't like brussels sprouts, but I love them. When I was a student, I ate a concoction of baked beans, parsnips and brussels sprouts all together in a kind of casserole. People found that gross, or a bit weird. When I was a child I often ate things raw, like raw vegetables or spaghetti. I ate dog biscuits, too. They didn't have much flavour.

Most people do not like steaks cooked like I do, including my wife. When we grill steaks, I always cook her steak first. Then I turn the grill up as high as it will go and close the lid for a while. I like to cook it very hot and fast. I want the outside burnt (not black, but almost) and the inside red & bloody. Cooked this way, I get a charcoal taste with the beef taste. I rarely eat a steak at a restaurant because I just can't get them cooked like I want them.

I wouldn't call that strange, that's just a good blue steak - order a steak blue at a restaurant next time you get the opportunity. Casual dining places usually refuse to cook them that way, or the cook cant do a blue steak but, a restaurant that has a chef, which is usually a mid to high end dinning establishment, should accommodate you and, prepare a proper blue steak for you on request.

I think I'm pretty down to earth (non diva like) but, when it comes to steak, I flip that "diva switch" and, have sent one back as many as four times because it was not right. Just a side note, best blue steaks in the USA are Emeril's New Orleans, Emeril's MGM, Delmonicos, and Bobby Flay Steak in Atlantic City. Other places have very good ones like Culpepper Cattle Company but not the absolute best.

Reading everyone's food habits reminded me of childhood foods, mayonnaise sandwiches, fresh lettuce from the garden that we put sugar on and rolled up and ate, chunks of homemade bread and fresh peas covered and floating in cream.

New Threads

Top Bottom