• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Speaking Out Against Autism Speaks, Even if It Means No Ice Cream"

It needs to be done.

After all, what is the short-lived pleasure of ice-cream next to the bliss of living in an A$-free world?

Reading the comments to the article, it highlights some of the problems of lumping Aspergers with Autism.
AS/HFA typically don't want a 'cure' or to be eliminated. Some people with severe Autism (or their carers) do. Those who do support Autism Speaks would probably say that they are giving a voice to the Autistics who can't represent themselves.

I don't really know much about that organization.

I'm not sure if many AS/HFA want to be cured as zurb has said, I cannot speak for the more severe forms of Autism, though. But if I was given the choice to be 'cured' of my Autism I would be skeptical, though many bad things that come with Autism may go away, the good things would to, so I don't necessarily want my genes gone! I may never be the same again if that happened.

I do not like some things about having Autism but it is not enough for me to give up my own personality and the way I think, as it seems my Autism definitely affects these areas..not worth it! If Autism Speaks does not recognize this, then I'm not a fan. As I said I'm really in the dark with this organization, though, it's not clear to me their objectives..

Besides whywould you want a new operative system when you've grown up with and gotten used to your old one?

New Threads

Top Bottom