• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sexist terms

I identify as female but sometimes l feel l have a tad more masculine energy. Like l will go try to save someone if possible.

Are you speaking out of religious ignorance, political fear, or simple stupidity?
  • God and the Holy spirit are made in the image of male & female (Genesis). Referring to God as "he" is an error of the patriarchy that Jesus corrected
  • Politics reflect just plain stubborn ignorance and is hate filled
  • Biology recognizes many variations, the five most common are are Turner syndrome (XO), Klinefelter syndrome (XXY), trisomy X (XXX), XYY, and XXYY
Regardless of your off topic nonsense, sexist terms represent systemic misogyny and is a tool of oppression. And it makes you look stupid.

"No one comes to The Father except through me." I thought Jesus said that or something.

I agree.

As a nonbinary person, I tend to prefer the masculine term though. I used to serve as Chairman of a committee at my workplace...I referred to myself as Chairman of the committee only to have people correct me "it's ChairPERSON" and that always annoyed me (I'm female bodied, by the way). Like, if I'm using the term Chairman, don't correct me as a way of sticking up for me. Leave it alone. :confused:

I agree in that women were relegated to economic dependence on a male for thousands of years and then their gender identity was tacked onto the job title by adding '-ess' & a smaller paycheck.

I don't mind chairperson or letter carrier. Chairman is fine too, if the morpheme, -man, is recognized as a shortened version of human and not exclusive to one identifying as a male.

@SDRSpark, I'd be curious what disturbs you about using '-person'?

In nature Females are the default position, males are basically females that can mate with other females to try and win the evolutionary arms race against viruses and other disease causing organisms via diversity. Issue is our language does not reflect this unfortunately nature made human males bigger and stronger than the default females really skewing the power dynamics correcting the language to put at this stage is a bit of a mugs game the only really neutral language is mathematics.

I wouldn't say it disturbs me, but if I refer to myself as "-man" I expect you not to correct me.

I was not correcting you, @SDRSpark. I was curious to understand your perspective.

It has always been a complicated world, but now that individual perspectives are openly spoken about - it is an opportunity for greater understanding among humans and you were openly sharing. I remain curious why "-person" is not acceptable but I will not learn anything here.

I identify as female but sometimes l feel l have a tad more masculine energy. Like l will go try to save someone if possible.

I think the idea of saving someone based on having a quantity of
"masculine energy" is a stereotype. Couldn't it be just as likely
that a person feels moved to save another based on a "feminine"
quality of nurturing?

I was not correcting you, @SDRSpark. I was curious to understand your perspective.

It has always been a complicated world, but now that individual perspectives are openly spoken about - it is an opportunity for greater understanding among humans and you were openly sharing. I remain curious why "-person" is not acceptable but I will not learn anything here.

You're missing the point. It's not that "-person" isn't acceptable, it's correcting how I refer to myself that isn't acceptable.

I wasn't accusing you of correcting me, I was answering your question about what bothered me.

I don't care if someone else refers to me as "-person". I DO care if I refer to myself as "-man" and they say "no it's -person".

You're missing the point. It's not that "-person" isn't acceptable, it's correcting how I refer to myself that isn't acceptable.

I wasn't accusing you of correcting me, I was answering your question about what bothered me.

I don't care if someone else refers to me as "-person". I DO care if I refer to myself as "-man" and they say "no it's -person".

I get what you mean. It's similar when someone who believes "person first" language related to autism is correct and actually corrects an autistic person who does NOT use "person first" language to refer to themselves as "autistic" and tells them they should refer to themselves as "a person with autism".

I get what you mean. It's similar when someone who believes "person first" language related to autism is correct and actually corrects an autistic person who does NOT use "person first" language to refer to themselves as "autistic" and tells them they should refer to themselves as "a person with autism".

YES!!! Exactly!

English is a complex language, full of arbirary rules and then exceptions to those rules. this used to bother me when I was younger. who makes these rules and for what reason. at least mathematics has rules that make perfect sense; did they come from a higher power?

lots of things are contiuums, we humans like to label things after all where does orange begin and red start this drove me nuts working with colour my whole career, I avoided names for the various nuances.
Do you mean continuum's?I've never seen all Latinate words!

They killed latin being taught just before I entered high school same with slide rules a year later.

Tonight the STV News presenter said a busy week ahead for the Scotland squad (referring to the men's Scotland football team) I don't understand why the presenter didn't say the mens Scotland squad as their is also a women's team.

unfortunately for men' s team when it come to sports is the default position, maybe it will slowly change in the future.

New Threads

Top Bottom