• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sexist terms

With actresses being called actors now and things like that, I was a bit surprised yesterday to hear a BBC news sports correspondent say some competitors in the winter games showed good 'sportmanship' rather than good 'sportspersonship'.

Female ones too. I've met a few.

A woman I know, talking about how terrible it is for man to behave a certain way towards woman. Regarding deception. Me: "But women do that too.All the time. The exact same thing." She goes; "But It's so much worse if it's a man." & " I lose respect for them"

Really? I thought an action, regardless of who performs it, it's still the same action. She was complaining about how men doing a certain thing to women, and than acknowledged she's know woman who do the same thing to men. So I pointed it out, cause it seemed faulty logic to me. That and I like to challenge people on things they say.

A lot of these beliefs (gender double standards) are intrinsic and unconsciously absorbed through culture. That being said,she's not a predator or chauvinist or anything of that nature, at all.

A lot of these beliefs (gender double standards) are intrinsic and unconsciously absorbed through culture. That being said,she's not a predator or chauvinist or anything of that nature, at all.

There's been a flip in double standards in culture since the age of social media. A generation ago misogynist jokes about "dumb blondes", "bimbos" and jokes about women being bad drivers were unfortunately and incorrectly part of the culture. I haven't personally seen or heard a "dumb blonde" or "bimbo" joke in decades and I can't recall the last time I personally heard someone disparage the driving ability of women.

Since the dawn of social media, the internet and culture in general are rife with misandric jokes. The "dumb husband" and other clueless male tropes are a ubiquitous double standard. If such jokes were reversed and replaced with women as the foils, there would be outrage.

The misogynist jokes of the past weren't constructive just as the misandric jokes of today are not constructive.

A woman I know, talking about how terrible it is for man to behave a certain way towards woman. Regarding deception. Me: "But women do that too.All the time. The exact same thing." She goes; "But It's so much worse if it's a man." & " I lose respect for them"

Really? I thought an action, regardless of who performs it, it's still the same action. She was complaining about how men doing a certain thing to women, and than acknowledged she's know woman who do the same thing to men. So I pointed it out, cause it seemed faulty logic to me. That and I like to challenge people on things they say.

A lack of symmetry in a belief system is a sign that someone has not thought deeply about their values and is just running on what "feels" good to them. Or maybe they are just accepting what a social influencer has told them. It can also be a sign that someone is out to win their exchanges, rather than to be equitable.

There's been a flip in double standards in culture since the age of social media. A generation ago misogynist jokes about "dumb blondes", "bimbos" and jokes about women being bad drivers were unfortunately and incorrectly part of the culture. I haven't personally seen or heard a "dumb blonde" or "bimbo" joke in decades and I can't recall the last time I personally heard someone disparage the driving ability of women.

Since the dawn of social media, the internet and culture in general are rife with misandric jokes. The "dumb husband" and other clueless male tropes are a ubiquitous double standard. If such jokes were reversed and replaced with women as the foils, there would be outrage.

The misogynist jokes of the past weren't constructive just as the misandric jokes of today are not constructive.

Every single woman in my life right now, literally every single one, is being in some way used or victimized by a man. So frankly I have much more sympathy for so-called “misandric” jokes. I don’t see them as misandric at all; I see them as women blowing off steam. And women have a hell of a lot of steam to blow off.

Bureaucracy is out of control here. Yeah I live in The UK. There still lot of common sense out there. People do their own thing. It's not a totalitarian country by any means...yet . I would think most peoeple are more concerned with paying their bills, than political nonsense over toilets.

I think one big difference is that if a woman tries to sexaully assault me or something for example, she can't really do anything.
You underestimate women. But yeah I can see your point. Physical weaker, means they have to be mentally sharper. If a woman is to assault a man. Shes either going to have to drug him, or use a weapon. (Or be really jacked. Like a athlete or something. )Or know that hes a pushover, and wont retaliate in anyway.

Yeah I can see how women are more wary of strangers. But men also face potential danger from people who are stronger than themselves. Just not as often. It's not the same but...according to some, (USA males now too weak to serve in the military!??) Its not so clear cut nowadays. This physical strength gap.

I'm seeing some of my old posts....2 months old...might has well be 2 years old... :sweatsmile:

You underestimate women.

I just meant that mother nature made us men stronger and bigger. The average woman weighs maybe 70 kilos. That's not much, that's warm-up weight at the gym. But I was just thinking out loud about the difference in men attacking women and vice versa, it's not important.

Last edited:
Strange I live in a bilingual country, In Ontario, bathrooms based on sex, Quebec single public bathrooms, this is based on culture and religion. What is all the fuss about, At home we share wash rooms.

Strange I live in a bilingual country, In Ontario, bathrooms based on sex, Quebec single public bathrooms, this is based on culture and religion. What is all the fuss about, At home we share wash rooms.

I think we simply have to have single-sex public bathrooms. If womens bathrooms are open to men, perverts and crazy people will use the opportunity and prey on women. Lets say I have daughters, young kids, I would not want them to use gender neutral bathrooms. That's a scary thought.

Last edited:
The average woman weighs maybe 70 kilos.

hmnn.."154.3236".... Thats average?

I'm not really that strong. And I have never gone to the gym. (socially not my thing...) But I can clean and press (sloppilly) 130lbs for 5 reps max. I once told somebody "I can miliatry press you." lol. She weighted around that. I thought that was average. They grow em big in Norway huh?
Yeah what with the growing worldwide obesity epidemic....I'm sure 180 will be the new average...in a few years or so. Western diets = metabolic syndrome. The great malady of our era.

You sound strong. Congrats. Yeah I know men are physically stronger. And in others news the sky is blue. Thats why its so embarrassing if a woman is stronger. Imagine running onto a woman and she says she dealifts 600, and benches 300....damn. Emasculated. I cant do that. Not unless I go on steroids.

hmnn.."154.3236".... Thats average?

I'm not really that strong. And I have never gone to the gym. (socially not my thing...) But I can clean and press (sloppilly) 130lbs for 5 reps max. I once told somebody "I can miliatry press you." lol. She weighted around that. I thought that was average. They grow em big in Norway huh?
Yeah what with the growing worldwide obesity epidemic....I'm sure 180 will be the new average...in a few years or so. Western diets = metabolic syndrome. The great malady of our era.

You sound strong. Congrats. Yeah I know men are physically stronger. And in others news the sky is blue. Thats why its so embarrassing if a woman is stronger. Imagine running onto a woman and she says she dealifts 600, and benches 300....damn. Emasculated. I cant do that. Not unless I go on steroids.

I don't really know what's average. My ex weighed 65. But she was short. I don't really have any idea what's average, let's say it was an example.

When I started at school as a teenager, an athletics school, we did some leg presses in a machine to find out what level everyone was at. I did my turn and thought I did good. Then the girl behind me in line, a 16 year old Swede, added 15 kilos to the weight and pushed that... :) So I had my butt handed to me. My ego was bruised for a week. She later ended up as a gladiator on that show Swedish Gladiators. So there are of course strong women. I was thinking more about the more normal average.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom