• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Personal Quirks

Vanilla

Your friendly neighbourhood hedgehog
V.I.P Member
Hi all :)

This post is more for a bit of fun, and to get to know each other a bit more.

What are your personal quirks?
  • It can be something which your friends, family, or work colleagues may find quirky
  • It can be something a sales person, job interviewer, or any random person may have given you odd looks for
  • Or perhaps something you've never told anyone about, but have been carrying around secretly for some time, and just need to tell someone
It doesn't have to have to have anything to do with Asperger's/ Autism spectrum; as long as it's quirky.

One of my quirks is that I tend to feel uncomfortable around corporate offices, and people who wear suits.

I have nothing against people in suits, and actually think they can make a lot of people appear rather dashing, but it can also make a person seem rather intimidating. Corporate offices are also generally nice and clean, but something about them feels a bit cold.

I once made an appointment with a therapist, who I hadn't realised worked in a corporate environment, until I had gotten there. I had had a therapist before then, so it wasn't nerves for the appointment.

He was on the twenty somethingth floor, and had it all; the large reception desk, the board room, leather chairs, coffee station, glass walls, expensive potted plants, marble floors. Once I had met him, and gotten to know him, I was fine, but before then I felt so out of place; especially in my casual wear :p

Probably the way I dress. I like to wear Hawaiian shirts and camouflage. I have a Russian fur and leather hat I'll wear in the winter, other non-standard-issue hats that I like to wear. I wear Birkenstocks all year around, when it's really cold, with socks.

I just posted this in another thread, but what the heck...

I try to steer clear of most forms of ideology in general. Ideological thinking needlessly paints people into corners.Even the best of ideas eventually fade or fail outright, requiring them to be overhauled or thrown out entirely.

While I rarely mention this, it's always amusing to see how perplexed people appear when I tell them. As if I'm some kind of ruthless opportunist. :eek:

Wondering if women are thinking, "Now there's a guy who can't commit!" :p

Im known around work as the email complaint king. The guy who slices and dices companies or organizations, with a form of logic and threat, which usually ends up with, getting something for free, an apology or a change of heart. Its the standing joke around work. With comments like " dont let him get hold of your email address " or. "have you got an email template for this type of complaint. " Someone's gotta do it and they arent complaining, whens its them im helping out. Its all in good fun though

I used to be "Coupon Queen" and would try to outdo myself every week to get a better deal. I was obsessed. Of course I would have to tell everyone I knew what great deals I got. I still would be doing couponing, but it takes a lot of time I just don't have right now. I actually miss it.

When the weather gets warm, I go bare-footed almost everywhere. My feet toughen up like leather...even before they toughen up, though, I like the feeling of pavement, and other surfaces, especially warm asphalt, against my skin. I live in a pretty clean town so I never have to worry too much about diseases. I even hike barefoot when the spirit moves me.

I carry sandals around in my satchel for when I have to enter a place that legally requires footwear (cafés, etc.) but I've walked around Walmart in bare feet and nobody said a word.

I guess it makes me feel a little bit closer to Mother Earth. :)

I hate dented cans. If I find a dented can in the cabinet, it goes in the trash. Even when I was little I had a quirk about dented cans. I wouldn't eat food from a can if I knew it was dented.

Plastic beverage bottles. If they contract, I take them out of the refrigerator and open the bottle cap so the bottle pops out again. Can't stand looking at contracted, squished bottles.

For me its a dirty car. I just cant stand seeing my car dirty. Even if theyre predicting rain, i dont care, i need to wash it.
It really bothers when until its done, then i relax, open a door and go OMG, the interior, wheres the vacuum.
So imagine how i feel when i see an entire car yard of dirty cars. Meltdown anyone?

Ooooh, I hate that too!!! Even the spray bottle with the cleanser I use does that. It's a weird phenomenon that drives me nuts . . . UGH!!!:mad:

Yep. Those little things that can drive people like us bonkers. But having OCD, it's just part of my life. But yes, sometimes it does wear on me.

My laugh, I think, would be considered pretty quirky. I don't seem to laugh properly, it just comes out in screams and gurgles heh. If I am with a few people and we laugh at something, we all begins to start just laughing at my laugh rather than what was originally funny.

I am literally a cold person. My normal temperature is not 98.6 but 97.0, always has been. I almost never wear shorts, and am always dressed in layers. Jeans and often flannels all summer. By mid winter I am up to 4 or 5 layers. I also sleep better with clothes on. I hate AC. Don't have it in my house, it doesn't work in my cars and I don't care. They run it at work and my fingers get so cold I can't even grab onto a drawing without breathing on my hands first. While the other engineers are panting in shorts, tshirts, and sandals, I am in jeans, flannel, and workboots and I have to go out to the friggin shop to get warm.

I am literally a cold person. My normal temperature is not 98.6 but 97.0, always has been. I almost never wear shorts, and am always dressed in layers. Jeans and often flannels all summer. By mid winter I am up to 4 or 5 layers. I also sleep better with clothes on. I hate AC. Don't have it in my house, it doesn't work in my cars and I don't care. They run it at work and my fingers get so cold I can't even grab onto a drawing without breathing on my hands first. While the other engineers are panting in shorts, tshirts, and sandals, I am in jeans, flannel, and workboots and I have to go out to the friggin shop to get warm.
You too? Right now I'm 96.8, freezing to death sitting in front of a space heater and it's 68 degrees in the house. I wear flannel lined jeans all winter and flannel shirts and thick jackets. I do need the AC in the summer since I live in the desert and it gets to about 115 in July and August. 105 is OK with me, I am fairly comfortable up to that temperature, I've been known to be outside mowing the lawn in the middle of the day in the summer.

I used to have the same problem when I was younger, but I seem to have lost this problem somehow, haha. Not sure how though sorry :p

I still get frozen fingers though. It's probably an issue with circulation.

Last edited:
If someone's talking to me, I have a tendency to echo the last word(s) they say before a pause, even if they make no sense.

"make no sense, yeah..."

I didn't even notice it until recently; I have no idea when it started or why. Maybe it's a way to assure myself and the other person that I'm listening (not that it necessarily means I'm processing it)? Or maybe I'm just a parrot.

I can't be the only one who does this though?

If someone's talking to me, I have a tendency to echo the last word(s) they say before a pause, even if they make no sense.

"make no sense, yeah..."

I didn't even notice it until recently; I have no idea when it started or why. Maybe it's a way to assure myself and the other person that I'm listening (not that it necessarily means I'm processing it)? Or maybe I'm just a parrot.

I can't be the only one who does this though?

Echolalia
is supposedly pretty common in autism. I haven't seen it discussed here much though.

I have a lot of echolalia, especially when I'm in a good mood. Like at work, a colleague and I would mimic phrases our polish supervisor says all the time instead of forming a real conversation. It breaks the ice. We're parroting "What's happened?" "Honestly" "Well" "Oh my Lord!" LOL. It's all she says herself when speaking, but hadn't realised it until we pointed it out. Now she's really piss*d off at us as it's constant every day. I say it as a form of relief. It helps with stress or awkward silences.

Last edited:
Oh my lord. My colleague just text asking "what's happened?" This very sec. Lol no joke. We do this too a lot. Honestly!

I interrupt people by finishing they're sentences. Needless to say there are plenty who do not like that. ;)
I'm always anticipating; sort of thinking 4 seconds ahead.
I think it developed as a way to compensate for being no good with non verbal communication.

Mine is that I supply answers/info that is way beyond what was asked for. My close friends call it the Harrypedia Syndrome.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom