• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Passing

Talking of psychological tests, once I applied for a job in B&Q (large DIY chain), and part of the application process was an automated telephone interview which involved a psychological test, apparently very few people pass it but I not only passed, but scored very highly. However I just answered with what I felt were logical answers to the questions and at interview I was way out of my depth, overwhelmed by the large scale of the store and didn't get the job.

Those psych tests are baloney. They're easy as hell to score highly on. Give them the answer that they're looking for. I had one of those for Walmart. I got praised by the interviewer for having the highest score he had ever seen. These tests don't really take a genius. The job, however, proved way too overwhelming.

I find that very interesting because I experience exactly that kind of intolerance amongst those 'academics' who should know better (especially in the Psychology environment!). These are supposedly white collar. I have not worked amongst blue collar, but my experience of them is very different with much more tolerance.
I believe that the range of tolerance amongst blue collar workers is much larger simply because life hasn't been super easy. There is camaraderie to be found because so many people have had it tough and work a hard scrabble kind of life.

In the US, blue collar workers are in a caste all by themselves, often looked down upon as "the help." Me? I look past all of that and see an opportunity for me to feel like a contributing, productive member of society. In a funny twist of fate, many blue collar careers pay more than mid-level white collar ones.

In my chosen career field, it is almost a badge of honor to be seen as having one screw a little loose. Ironically, it means that you're fitting in just fine.

Hmmm, I think I find more acceptance in my current white collar job (where one is valued for one's skills) than in any past blue collar one. I just don't fit the stereotypical rude 'macho' drunken grunt image required.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I think I find more acceptance in my current white collar job (where one is valued for one's skills) than in any past blue collar one. I just don't fit the stereotypical rude 'macho' drunken grunt image required.

I wouldn't know about the macho image at that level - I think perhaps the culture is very different where I come from, but I definitely don't do macho. I think I am about as macho as a plank or a carrot :).

I don't either. I just tell it like it is. I don't gussie anything up. Blue collar types appreciate hard honesty.

I want to raise the question of ‘passing’, knowing that it has been dealt with in various ways,
but nevertheless, I want to raise it for a specific reason. Today people with hidden disabilities are said to pass when they present in a way that conceals any signs of their disability. Passing is often demanded by society, and sometimes becomes second nature as we learn various little tricks so as to be accepted.

I am from the ‘lost generation’ of Aspies who never knew that Asperger's existed, or what it encompassed. Thus, if one actually had this ‘disability’ (I believe this is a misnomer) then there was no recognition thereof. So, even though I realised that I was dramatically different in many ways, and could not change, I simply had to fit in and make sure that I made my life as ‘normal’ as possible. The demand was also to find a career and make a success of it.

It is difficult to decide on what ‘normal’ is in a world that is decidedly messed up, with very few people who classify as ‘normal’. Anyway, who defines ‘normal’ and on what basis? So, a neurotypical ‘normal’ is my abnormal. This adds to the burden of being able to pass, with messed up people telling me how to be ‘normal’. The irony is that even neurotypical people learn to pass in order to hide their own issues.

Nevertheless, i am soon to 'retire', I have led what would be defined as a ‘successful’ life in that I achieved well in my chosen career. However, at what cost? I have found it to be an incredibly difficult path to have walked, largely feeling like I was the cursed princess in the movie ‘Shrek’. Of course, It turns out to be the ogre who was cursed – the curse being to have to live as a princess in order to be accepted by society - and even desire that. My apologies to those who have not seen the movie, as well as for the unfortunate analogy, but these simple movies sometimes make a poignant point, even though the principles are seldom adhered to in life. In short, I felt like an ogre passing as a princess. An 'ogre' is quite normal to other 'ogres.'

So, in passing I have still felt the pain of lying to myself, forcing myself into a predetermined mold - the one who I refer to as my 'impostor'. I was not accepted as ‘normal’, was still regarded as the odd one out, different, could not be accepted into the inner circles of the university in which I worked, regarded as cold, awkward, abrupt, standoffish, eccentric. Even though I became head of my department, I felt the constant pressure from those who ostracized me. It affected my health, my mental state, as well as my own sense of self.

So, I did not really pass at all because my differences were identified and labeled. I pulled off a great passing act at work and then paid for it dearly. I would take on the full workload of a professor throughout the year and end up overwhelmed to the point of illness, but mainly because of the mental games that are played in passing. I also had to cope with my own psychological problems in the midst of all this. I was constantly confused in the battle to fit, knowing that I am different, but feeling that my differences were wrong, and told so by people around me. I never considered autism or Asperger's simply because I was never pointed in that direction. Anyway, to my generation, to admit to any such classification, or to disclose it is simply infradig.

The pressure to pass can be intense, and can certainly be very destructive. What is worst of all is that it robs us of true identity - who we really are, and being at peace with that. That is a difficult question to answer: who am I? – the answer comes over a lifelong journeying, if at all. However, passing disguises one, cloaks one in some sort of ideal which is not real self. After my ‘successful’ career, I find that I have not been successful at all – I feel that I have given too much to someone who I am not. I betrayed myself, and feel the intense pain of that, and suffer the consequences at this stage, too intense to detail.

So, these are some of my personal comments, experiences, and opinions, and I would be interested in your own – even though it may be well worn territory.

Long before I discovered HFA/Aspergers I learned to keep my differences hidden. As a child my stepfather punished my abnormal behaviors with beatings. I was forced to learn how to recognize potential bizarre actions and suppress them. All my life I suppressed HFA urges as much as possible. Occasionally my control would weaken and something bizarre would emerge. I lost friends, and even jobs when something broke through. The effort to maintain control often slowed down my responses and made me look stupid. Passing is possible but can require significant mental effort.

Long before I discovered HFA/Aspergers I learned to keep my differences hidden. As a child my stepfather punished my abnormal behaviors with beatings. I was forced to learn how to recognize potential bizarre actions and suppress them. All my life I suppressed HFA urges as much as possible. Occasionally my control would weaken and something bizarre would emerge. I lost friends, and even jobs when something broke through. The effort to maintain control often slowed down my responses and made me look stupid. Passing is possible but can require significant mental effort.
There is a special place in hell for assholes like your stepfather.

Boarding school and stepmother punished my 'abnormal behaviours' with various punishments, and so I relate to where you come from. These are not abnormal or bizarre - abnormality is in the eye of the beholder. I agree that your stepfather needs/needed special attention, preferably psychiatric.

That which you outline in your post can be related to by many Aspies I am sure, but as I have aged, I increasingly find the personal damage caused by the kinds of pressure placed on us, openly or subtle, to be absolutely atrocious.

I was able to pass as a very shy NT up until my late 20's. I'm in my late 30's now and it seems that the older I get, the more tiring it is to keep the pretense up, but I also find that I don't care about passing as much either. My "mask" slips a lot more frequently now.

It was a huge relief to find out about Asperger's and that I'm not as much of an aberration as I thought. Now that I know, I am more comfortable with myself. I've let my husband tell a few of his friends (I don't have any of my own), but I'm still worried about disclosing my status at work, because of the risk of discrimination and getting bullied by some of the less understanding people here (there are many) and also because I don't have an official diagnosis yet.

I was able to pass as a very shy NT up until my late 20's. I'm in my late 30's now and it seems that the older I get, the more tiring it is to keep the pretense up, but I also find that I don't care about passing as much either. My "mask" slips a lot more frequently now.

It was a huge relief to find out about Asperger's and that I'm not as much of an aberration as I thought. Now that I know, I am more comfortable with myself. I've let my husband tell a few of his friends (I don't have any of my own), but I'm still worried about disclosing my status at work, because of the risk of discrimination and getting bullied by some of the less understanding people here (there are many) and also because I don't have an official diagnosis yet.

Passing as NT is extremely energy depleting. It makes me think of the life sucking machine from The Princess Bride.

New Threads

Top Bottom