• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Overwhelmed by so many restricted interests

Now we're getting somewhere! (I feel like I'm playing a form of the game "charades".)

"What Are Restricted Interests?

Restricted interests are strong or intense interests in specific topics or objects. Restricted interests are common in people with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). For example, a person might be interested in a specific TV show, math or drawing.

People with restricted interests are often experts on the topics or objects they enjoy. Sometimes they share their interests with others. Other times, they like to enjoy them alone."

Ok, I see your point. Though it could be worse. Imagine having special interests you cannot even post here.

I don't really know about myself, because I am a bit too busy analyzing too much on my different interests, but I kind of socialize everyday.
So is it the sum total of interests on such an intense level that tends to overwhelm you? Something I'm going through at the moment just contemplating building a new computer.

I don't even to bother to consider the amount of time I dwell on special interests versus socializing with much of anyone. My bad. But then I'm a retired curmudgeon and earned that right. :rolleyes:

But yes, they can and do become overwhelming at times, even by ourselves. Happens a lot with me. Makes me think of a scene from a movie where a doctor tells a child, "Not to think so much!".

But for better or worse, it also describes who- and what we are.

Now we're getting somewhere! (I feel like I'm playing a form of the game "charades".)

"What Are Restricted Interests?

Restricted interests are strong or intense interests in specific topics or objects. Restricted interests are common in people with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). For example, a person might be interested in a specific TV show, math or drawing.

People with restricted interests are often experts on the topics or objects they enjoy. Sometimes they share their interests with others. Other times, they like to enjoy them alone."

The thing is that I don't fit this exact definition as I have a lot of many interests, and even create new ones, but I tend to overanalyze, overshare way too much information, as if I kind of have a Wikipedia on my different interests.

but I tend to overanalyze, overshare way too much information, as if I kind of have a Wikipedia on my different interests.
LOL...sounds a tad familiar. But then perhaps that's just a couple of traits that Dr. Asperger took a little too much to heart when he chose to label us "Little Professors".

And to eventually discover time after time that most people only want to hear much of anything discussed on a cursory level, rather than any "infodump" that we are uh....famous for. Where so many just roll their eyes either being irritated or intimidated with information passed with greater intensity than they are used to.

LOL...sounds a tad familiar. But then perhaps that's just a couple of traits that Dr. Asperger took a little too much to heart when he chose to label us "Little Professors".

And to eventually discover time after time that most people only want to hear much of anything discussed on a cursory level, rather than any "infodump" that we are uh....famous for. Where so many just roll their eyes either being irritated or intimidated with information passed with greater intensity than they are used to.
Yeah we info dump into their info vacuums and somehow they don't seem to appreciate it:confused:

New Threads

Top Bottom