• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Overwhelmed by so many restricted interests

Oz67

I have so many broad range of restricted interests that it fluctuates overtime and it will take a long time for me to list all of them, as I create new ones as well.

Restricted by law? Avoid them.

Restricted by poverty? Sad.

Restricted by physics? Well, not much hope for you there.

Restricted by religion? Change religions.

Do you mean to say they are too time consuming? I also have a lot of interests and i am glad i have them

Would you mind elaborating? I have and had many. And they come and go. I used to get frustrated because I couldn't stick to any in particular, but with time I've learned to enjoy them and accept it as part of the person I am. When I look back, I took something out of each of them. Whenever I am about to get into a new one, I know it won't last but it doesn't bother me anymore.

Example: the latest one is drawing. I'm not good at it. But my 82 y/o mother got into painting. So I bought a bunch of things to try out tracing with different pens and pencils and tech. I want to try them before I travel home in August. So now I started drawing. Then I thought that I want to try drawing my dog. Some drawings came up funny, but not awful (I repeat, no talent here). Then I started wondering, what is the minimum amount of lines that I could draw and still recognize the drawing as that of my dog? So now I have a challenge. I'm sure I'll get bored in about a month, but there is chance that I'll end up with a cool minimalist drawing of my pup -- and my mom will get a lot of things to play with.

I have so many broad range of restricted interests that it fluctuates overtime and it will take a long time for me to list all of them, as I create new ones as well.

What do you mean by 'restricted interests'?

Very niche interest?
Interests that people don't approve of?
Or what?

In what way are your interests a symptom of autism?

Maybe he means highly specialized or very specific rather than a more general interest?
I have had a few lifelong focused interests as well as many transient interests. I say transient because once I reach a point of deep understanding, I move on to a new interest. Doesn't mean I am no longer interested, I just have to ration my time and I'm not immortal.
My very first interest (which began around 6 years old) is still something I actively engage in daily or nearly so. I'm 65 now, so that interest has constant for 59 years.

@Oz67
So you're saying you're interested in so many things
that if you tried to pursue them all there wouldn't
be enough time in a day to do so?

What do you mean by 'restricted interests'?

Very niche interest?
Interests that people don't approve of?
Or what?

In what way are your interests a symptom of autism?

I am sorry for the late response, it late at night when I made my post.

I will post at only a few of my restricted interests that is part of ASD

My restricted interests:

* Psychology

" Neurology

* Photography

* Science

* Different songs

I have many more, there is so many.

@Oz67

I think those interests would be better described as
"special" or "particular" rather than "restricted."

---------
Do you wish you had a comfortable way of prioritizing your
interests, so that you didn't feel over whelmed?

If you could decide what to do first, when, and for what length of time?
That sort of thing?

@Oz67
So you're saying you're interested in so many things
that if you tried to pursue them all there wouldn't
be enough time in a day to do so?

Not exactly, but it's not that healthy as I hold onto a belief that my interests is always more important, maybe it's time consuming too, but not that much.

Still don't understand the context of what constitutes a "restricted interest".

I can only state that in the case of my own special interests, most of them tend to reflect things that accommodate my autism rather than oppose it.

In essence any pursuit of something that does not require interaction with another human being.

It's kind of related to restricted interests. I tend to analyze too much, talk about it and overshare my different interests way too much.

Still don't understand the context of what constitutes a "restricted interest".

I can only state that in the case of my own special interests, most of them tend to reflect things that accommodate my autism rather than oppose it.

It's kind of a clinical term.

@Oz67

---------
Do you wish you had a comfortable way of prioritizing your
interests, so that you didn't feel over whelmed?

If you could decide what to do first, when, and for what length of time?
That sort of thing?

I think I can learn how to do that, it's just hard because of my brain works.

New Threads

Top Bottom