• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New member introduction

Allan

Hi,

I'm a self-diagnosed 39 year old Aspie from Denmark.

A friend of mine was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome a few years ago and he told me that he thought I might be an Aspie too. I then began reading the Tony Attwood book and doing a lot of online research. Most symptoms seemed to fit...

I also took tests and scored 42/50 on the AQ test and 18/80 on the EQ test. I'm currently considering getting an official diagnosis - if possible.

Interests: Languages, religion/theology and certain historical periods (Viking Age for one).

Likes: Reading, drawing, graphic design, programming, films/TV series...

Dislikes: Crowds, too many people, certain types of food...

Last edited:
wigflip-ds.gif

images

hi alan,welcome to AC! there are lots of people like yourself here-at the start of a ASD journey.
i personally think its harder for autistic people to get the self diagnosis wrong as autistics can be very passionate about research and in no time will they have a history written [whether mentally or typed/written down] and will be logically relating the traits and impairments to their lives;like you are doing,a NT who thinks theyre autistic will not have the passion to research let alone the triad of impairment that everyone on the spectrum has,autism tends to become a special interest of autists [whether waiting for diagnosis, or diagnosed],its perfectly ok its not the same as those people who research a condition and randomly apply it to every part of their lives when they know they dont have it,theyre actually experiencing hypochondria.

sorry for my waffling on alan,what are your interests, and your likes and dislikes? its good to write these on a intro post so we AC folk can get to know you better.

This is a good place to explore your own neurology through interacting with others to give you greater perspective. Welcome to AC.

hi alan,welcome to AC! there are lots of people like yourself here-at the start of a ASD journey.
i personally think its harder for autistic people to get the self diagnosis wrong as autistics can be very passionate about research and in no time will they have a history written [whether mentally or typed/written down] and will be logically relating the traits and impairments to their lives;like you are doing,a NT who thinks theyre autistic will not have the passion to research let alone the triad of impairment that everyone on the spectrum has,autism tends to become a special interest of autists [whether waiting for diagnosis, or diagnosed],its perfectly ok its not the same as those people who research a condition and randomly apply it to every part of their lives when they know they dont have it,theyre actually experiencing hypochondria.

sorry for my waffling on alan,what are your interests, and your likes and dislikes? its good to write these on a intro post so we AC folk can get to know you better.

Thank you! :)

I will edit my intro post and add interests/likes/dislikes.

Hej Allan, hvordan går det? I am not Danish but love your country and know it well (and speak Danish pretty fluently), welcome to the forum. I am a nearly 35 year old female from the UK, and had very similar to you, when I looked into Asperger's and when I did the tests I had similar results. After a process taking 6 months I was diagnosed with Asperger's, though had I lived in another part of the UK, or in the US I would have been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder level 1.

Hej Allan, hvordan går det?

Hej Astroganga. Det går fint, hvad med dig?

I am not Danish but love your country and know it well (and speak Danish pretty fluently), welcome to the forum.

Thank you. That's very interesting. How did you learn Danish? :)

I am a nearly 35 year old female from the UK, and had very similar to you, when I looked into Asperger's and when I did the tests I had similar results. After a process taking 6 months I was diagnosed with Asperger's, though had I lived in another part of the UK, or in the US I would have been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder level 1.

Thank you for sharing that. I'm not sure if they still diagnose with Asperger's in Denmark or if they are using the new ASD label...

Hello Alan I'm streetwise from n.e England. asd is used as a lot of people n.ts think aspergers means savant -genius- no problems.
What is danish support for autism like ?
U.ks is weak

Hello Alan I'm streetwise from n.e England. asd is used as a lot of people n.ts think aspergers means savant -genius- no problems.
What is danish support for autism like ?
U.ks is weak

Hello Streetwise. I'm not really sure what the support is like here yet as I'm still very new to the whole thing. :)

Hej Astroganga. Det går fint, hvad med dig?

Thank you. That's very interesting. How did you learn Danish? :)

Thank you for sharing that. I'm not sure if they still diagnose with Asperger's in Denmark or if they are using the new ASD label...
Tak, det går godt. :) I learned Danish through apps and a very boring, lengthy Danish grammar book, also I have many Danish friends and am on a few Danish groups on facebook. When I went to Denmark everyone assumed I was Danish, so I played along and mostly did pretty well. I can understand quite a few languages but Danish is the first one where I can speak it too. I think the very close links to Scots and various English dialects, made Danish especially interesting to me, particularly Dialects such as Sønderjyske; which has an identical accent to parts of the North East of England and many dialect words in common too. But I cannot speak that, only standard Danish. :)

Tak, det går godt. :) I learned Danish through apps and a very boring, lengthy Danish grammar book, also I have many Danish friends and am on a few Danish groups on facebook. When I went to Denmark everyone assumed I was Danish, so I played along and mostly did pretty well. I can understand quite a few languages but Danish is the first one where I can speak it too. I think the very close links to Scots and various English dialects, made Danish especially interesting to me, particularly Dialects such as Sønderjyske; which has an identical accent to parts of the North East of England and many dialect words in common too. But I cannot speak that, only standard Danish. :)

That's great! I'm very interested in languages too. Don't worry about sønderjysk - most Danes can't understand it. :D

New Threads

Top Bottom