• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Story

Sashi

Hello,

I was self-diagnosed weeks ago with Asperger's Syndrome (AS). I didn't take it as bad news. It is on the contrary a relief to know there's a name for it. So much of the fog of "why I think, feel, and act" has been lifted. Up until my diagnosis, I often thought of myself as an alien from another planet to this world. My diagnosis has set me free from that line of thought.

My suspicions were first raised some time after I started working with special education kids in the school district I myself grew up in. I had left working for the federal government in Washington, D.C. after over 20 years. Going from working for Uncle Sam to working with children was a drastic change, but definitely a life-changing one that would lead to my diagnosis.

Many times I would observe a student's behavior and I'd be moved to tears. I saw some of me in him or her. I was drawn to working in autism units, but I didn't know why until now.

This past month, one 12 year old girl especially caught my attention. She is autistic with practically no verbal skills. She frequently talks to herself with words that no one can understand. She'll sometimes get excited and let out a holler and/or skip across the room. It was like watching myself at her age. I just didn't do it in the middle of a classroom. That's just one example of watching a student do something I did OR still do. I started doing research on the Internet about the autism spectrum and took on-line tests. Then, consulted with my doctor and teachers of autistic students. Their support and valuable information was of tremendous help.

There are rewards and hardships. My main hobby or interest is writing which has been like a best friend to me ever since I started. Through writing, I have been able to entertain others while getting therapy for myself. Routine is almost as essential for me as air and water. However, I believe I was able to lose and maintain my weight for close to 40 years now because once I got on a diet plan, I stuck to it like any other of my routines.

I admit I'm a loner. I could count on one hand how many close friends I've had from childhood to present. I prefer to do things alone. It is when I'm alone or when I'm talking to someone I feel comfortable with one-on-one that I am recharged. It is when I'm with a group of people, small or large, that I am totally drained. An invitation to a party is like an invitation to a torture chamber.

So there's challenges but there's rewards too.

If it wasn't for working with autistic students, I'd still be in the dark. Now that I know, my job is more than a job. When I help a child with autism with their struggles, I can say to myself, "I know. I'm on the spectrum too."

Making a positive difference in the life of a child will ultimately have an impact on many, most of whom we will never know. May your acts of comfort bring you solace. Welcome to Aspiescentral!

Thank you!!!

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 130 out of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 85 out of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

sashi,its great your working with autistic kids,they need someone who can relate,im LFA but have been given a voluntary job at a special school, helping autistic and EBD children with their PE lessons,i was given it because of my autism and my ability to relate to the children which would be a positive outsider role model for them, so i can honestly see why you want to work with autistic kids,keep at it you may make those kids feel much better about themselves if they are silently aware of you being like themselves.

anyway enough of my waffling,welcome to AC! and welcome to the spectrum.
as you are into writing why dont you set up a blog about your past and current experiences on the spectrum if you havent already-the blog world is crying out for new writers.

Thanks toothless!

I have started blogging and going on various forums to tell my stories. Instead of keeping it all in, I'm shouting my story from the rooftops via my passion - writing. Thanks for your response of support.

Thanks toothless!

I have started blogging and going on various forums to tell my stories. Instead of keeping it all in, I'm shouting my story from the rooftops via my passion - writing. Thanks for your response of support.
no problem i will always support a fellow spectrumer.
why dont you put the links to your blog in your signature so it will get you more readers? id find it interesting to 'follow' your blog as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom