• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Music or bands that changed your life?

Does music have a profound beneficial effect on your life?

• Yes

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters
Reading this, I can't believe how many of us feel a connection with the music of Pink Floyd. I have a tattoo of the prism from Dark Side of the Moon on my arm, because I am a huge Pink Floyd fan and consider that album to exemplify the essence of Pink Floyd. A very close second would be A Saucerful of Secrets.

As far as other bands and music besides Pink Floyd, I really like Leonard Cohen, Nina Simone, Radiohead, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Primus, Tool, earlier Metallica, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, Franz Liszt (of course in this case, it is not actually him but his compositions), Alice In Chains, AC/DC, A3, I Mother Earth, Mudhoney, The Misfits, The Dead Kennedys, The Ass Ponys, Billie Holiday, and many more.

Individual songs that really get to me:
Since I've Been Loving You by Led Zeppelin
Famous Blue Raincoat by Leonard Cohen
Ne Me Quitte Pas by Nina Simone
Life In A Glass House by Radiohead

I'm going to stop myself here because I could list bands, albums and songs for a very long time with which I really feel a connection.

In high school my favorite group was Wilson Phillips. Biggest fan in my school at least. I had every photo, album, TV recording, magazine, and anything I could find. Made big wall hangings with logos and collages. Got a surplus concert T shirt which I wore a few times but still have. Disassembled old photo button/pins and made some with their photos. Learned to play all their songs on my bass. I even knew their birthdays. Now a lot of people praised them for the song "Hold On" because it saved them from hard times, it became a mainstream thing. Not for me, but I'm one who listens to a song a thousand times and can't remember the words. I just listen to the sound, the harmonies, the instruments. Their blend of voices made me feel better no matter what they were on. It really upset me when they split up in 1992 because they had a concert booked in Michigan and I wanted to go more than anything. I think it was 2013 I finally got to see them for a short performance. They're not my absolute favorite anymore but still have a special place and I would love to see their full show sometime.

I remember when I first heard Belinda Carlisle's "Live Your Life Be Free" album, it was a melancholy experience. The music was the best I'd heard. As I laid in bed listening to the midnight clock radio, I could feel WP going to the wayside as Belinda took over which was sad. But Belinda became my new favorite on a realistic level. No more of the stupid obsession foolishness (but I still have all that junk stashed away somewhere I don't even know exactly where). I collected all her albums for the music. And to this day she is a favorite, along with some who have the same voice type, music type, same producer, same bass player. Patty Smyth has a lot of those similarities. Aimee Mann (Til Tuesday and solo) is another who I totally admire.

I guess life in general, definitely so. Since I was very little, I've always had music running through my head. I'd make up little kid jingles. Both dreams and life experiences were pretty much remembered by music. Playing music is huge on my dad's side of the family, over many generations. Even my daughter and my sister's kids got it too.

Last edited:
Anybody old enough to know who Counting Crows is will definitely know their song Round Here. This version--at a concert in IA--never fails to touch my heart. Starts at 3:15, but listen to the whole song and you'll find the song to be that much more powerful. Underlines a lot of feelings and subjects in my own soul!!

And can't forget my other love--Weezer. These 2 songs off their new album always makes my heart cry..

I had always been into Hip Hop and rap. One Australian Hip Hop outfit that did change my life was Hilltop Hoods, it inspired me to rap. And I stopped rapping a few years back.

When I decided to get back into Hip Hop, after avoiding gangsta rap I finally got into NWA. It sounded unreal now that I am on a mature level. It's only 12 months later I decided to become AWA meaning "Aspie With Attitude".

When I used to rap, people always seen me as an Aspie. I love to write raps more about my condition which I will.

Not many people have heard of the short-lived German composer Wilhelm Bender (1911-1944). I have a great affection for his Baroque-pastiche sonata for treble recorder and piano, in particular the second movement "Mit rühiger Empfindung" [With peaceful sensitivity] - that was the piece that really opened my eyes and ears as to how beautiful the recorder can be made to sound.
For those who can read German, here's his Wikipedia entry.

the band XTC had a really big impact on my life because I'd always appreciated music but hearing their early stuff from the late '70s and early '80s is what made me want to actually be able to make music myself. I guess there was just some quirkiness that I could identify with.

New Threads

Top Bottom