• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mixing up words in a sentence

jsilver256

V.I.P Member
As a child, I had a severe issue with mixing up words in a sentence as in getting them in the wrong order. Not as in misspelling like dyslexia - for example I might have written “I go shop” as “I shop go.” Was wondering if anyone here had or has the same issue.

What about speaking?
Did /does that happen then, too?

Do you write or speak any languages other than English?

Deafness can result in mixed up word order. My little sister who is profoundly deaf also does that sometimes. It's okay. I almost always can figure out what she's saying. If I don't understand, I ask her to say it another way or to rephrase it. :)

What about speaking?
Did /does that happen then, too?

Do you write or speak any languages other than English?
I don’t speak. I grew up writing and reading English. I sign, but didn’t learn until later in life.

Deafness can result in mixed up word order. My little sister who is profoundly deaf also does that sometimes. It's okay. I almost always can figure out what she's saying. If I don't understand, I ask her to say it another way or to rephrase it. :)
Always nice to see deaf connections Is your sister a native user of ASL?

I asked a group of Deaf people and of the ones who learned English first, the only one who had this issue was ADHD….

I some times skip words unintentionally or change mid sentence unknowingly how I want to say something, leading to some strange sentences, mostly I catch it, but I think that is different compared to what you experienced.

Probably just The Force.

yoda.jpeg

;)

I don’t speak. I grew up writing and reading English. I sign, but didn’t learn until later in life.

I asked a group of Deaf people and of the ones who learned English first, the only one who had this issue was ADHD….

My sister, now 58 years old, was born profoundly deaf. As you know, deaf children have no words, they have to be taught every single word. She started at a speech school with other deaf children and some autistic children when she was 2 years old and was taught to lip read and to speak. She didn't learn ASL until she went to college.

Today, she is an incredible ambassador between the hearing and the non-hearing worlds. She can talk and understand language in the hearing world and easily communicate in the deaf world that uses only sign language. She helps her deaf friends who can only use ASL to navigate the hearing world which rarely knows ASL.

She's my hero and I'm very proud of her.

My brain occasionally burps up nonsense stream-of-consciousness, and I know what I'm trying to say, and it will just be something that takes revision until it makes sense. it's also probably where a lot of the stuttering and halting comes from. There's often some point I want to make that requires incremental digging in the brain, and it's bizarre to me that it comes out missing words, and needed details, or mixed up, and it needs to be gone over two or three times. As far as I know, I usually catch it before I say it or post it, but people probably witness me to stop talking abruptly mid-conversation while my eyeballs roll around trying to assemble whatever. I assume I come off roughly like Elon Musk, except not rich or an industrial genius.

As a child, I had a severe issue with mixing up words in a sentence as in getting them in the wrong order. Not as in misspelling like dyslexia - for example I might have written “I go shop” as “I shop go.” Was wondering if anyone here had or has the same issue.
Sometimes I do something similar. I tend to write nonsense. My brain is talking to itself faster than my typing, so I end up not typing some words, or I get words backwards, or I even type completely different words than the ones I thought I was typing, including switching the order. One thing that helps is trying to "calm down," like trying to slow down the typing and the thinking. It helps a little, but not too much.

Here is an example. The sentence below is what I typed instead of the sentence above (I'm copy-pasting it before fixing it above):

"or get word backwards, or even completely different words typed than the ones I thought I was typing."

I need to read everything several times...

Please let me know if somebody knows of a better strategy.

Edit: I do have ADHD traits and have been diagnosed with it, although it's bit confusing because I don't have classic ADHD traits like problems with time, losing things, or planning. I'm always on time.

Last edited:
I worked as a dorm supervisor at St Rita's School for the Deaf in 1986. I had to get good at interpreting one on one, and of course conversing with the kids. I found out though that I sucked at interpreting movies or TV. It was a processing issue. I knew the signs for the words, but in trying to keep up, I would lose the whole gist of what was being said.

As far as original topic, I never get my mix worded up.

I've done things like this. For me, it's more spoonerisms. It doesn't happen much now, but I would do it a lot as a kid.

Sometimes I do something similar. I tend to write nonsense. My brain is talking to itself faster than my typing, so I end up not typing some words, or I get words backwards, or I even type completely different words than the ones I thought I was typing, including switching the order. One thing that helps is trying to "calm down," like trying to slow down the typing and the thinking. It helps a little, but not too much.

Here is an example. The sentence below is what I typed instead of the sentence above (I'm copy-pasting it before fixing it above):

"or get word backwards, or even completely different words typed than the ones I thought I was typing."

I need to read everything several times...

Please let me know if somebody knows of a better strategy.

Edit: I do have ADHD traits and have been diagnosed with it, although it's bit confusing because I don't have classic ADHD traits like problems with time, losing things, or planning. I'm always on time.
Exactly the same issue here, down to ADHD.

I worked as a dorm supervisor at St Rita's School for the Deaf in 1986. I had to get good at interpreting one on one, and of course conversing with the kids. I found out though that I sucked at interpreting movies or TV. It was a processing issue. I knew the signs for the words, but in trying to keep up, I would lose the whole gist of what was being said.

As far as original topic, I never get my mix worded up.
Word Up was, in fact, remixed:

I tried to learn sign language some time ago and "I shop go" reminds me of the sentence structure in sign languages tbh, so it very well could be the case that this is where your grammar comes from.

I learnt to speak English fluently relatively early in addition to my mother tongue and it has caused that I mix up grammar of both languages a lot or translate some phrases directly, which doesn't sound right in the other language.

Hmmm, interesting

I mix up the order in sentences often too, and have done so since childhood, but I don't know why. I think in pictures rather than words, and they don't have an order, I imagine things happening or schemes. I have ADHD, so maybe that has something to do with it.

That's interesting. Why not, if I may ask? It's been utterly startling to me how much gets lost based on my appearance/style/etc, and it's made me really curious about people who don't speak at all.

It’s not selective mutism like you see in other autistic people, so I can’t share why that happens. I don’t possess the capability to make intelligible speech due to being deaf. Speech therapy didn’t work. But I’m sure glad I don’t have that pressure on me.

It’s not selective mutism like you see in other autistic people, so I can’t share why that happens. I don’t possess the capability to make intelligible speech due to being deaf. Speech therapy didn’t work. But I’m sure glad I don’t have that pressure on me.
Oh, yes, that's a really simple explanation. I've actually found speaking to others to be a shockingly useless endeavor, especially given how discriminatory and judgmental they are. It's almost totally useless in person. I hate to tell you, but there are people who have, through great effort, taught themselves the "motions" or feel of speaking despite being deaf, and it sounds very intelligible to me. However, I'm sad to say, I don't think they get heard because people judge you for your style, and not the content of your character. If you wanted my two cents, I'd say you conserved your effort wisely, and you're better off writing notes to people.

I don't scream "OMG, FREAK" to people. I come off as irrelevant and I don't understand why. Well, irrelevant save for the numerous times I've been physically assaulted or had the police called on me for basically breathing.

I actually met someone today, and all she wanted me for was as a momentary tour guide. She confided that she'd been in denial her entire life about MS, and I told her "Wow, that sounds like me and autism", which I've only recently begun bringing up in person, for maybe like the third time ever. And she was like "Well, you're doing fine meeting people right now!". Well, we planned on hanging out the rest of the day because I liked her very well, and she needed help navigating without a phone and without knowing the language. Unfortunately, her companions were inevitably like "kthxbai", and one single vote for "You're alright" doesn't count in the face of an entire planet who otherwise thinks you look like hot garbage. I gave her my email address, and I would bet $100 I never hear from her again.

Oh, yes, that's a really simple explanation. I've actually found speaking to others to be a shockingly useless endeavor, especially given how discriminatory and judgmental they are. It's almost totally useless in person. I hate to tell you, but there are people who have, through great effort, taught themselves the "motions" or feel of speaking despite being deaf, and it sounds very intelligible to me. However, I'm sad to say, I don't think they get heard because people judge you for your style, and not the content of your character. If you wanted my two cents, I'd say you conserved your effort wisely, and you're better off writing notes to people.

I don't scream "OMG, FREAK" to people. I come off as irrelevant and I don't understand why. Well, irrelevant save for the numerous times I've been physically assaulted or had the police called on me for basically breathing.
Agree, a NT told me what (IMO) is the best explanation of NTs although he was framing it as an explanation of how hearing people work - they interact with each other like they might interact with a dog. A dog cares about the tone of your voice, not your words. That’s why politicians’ speeches literally have no substance but can be hailed as great.

New Threads

Top Bottom