• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mistakes

That seems to be the trouble that many here are conveying. Learning and moving on. Maybe it stems from obsessive compulsive behavior. Sticking to one way of doing things will tend to limit one's perspective and flexibility, thus learning from one's mistakes could be limited. Thinking about past mistakes, repeatedly, and continuing to react emotionally to them is going to effect one's performance going forward.

I think that the trick is to not think about past mistakes, think about the lessons learned from those mistakes instead. I do not react emotionally to much of anything, much less mistakes. I guess that the biggest problem is that we are all different and react differently to everything. I have never made a conscious decision to be the way that I am, if I could control it I would be somewhat different than I am. That is probably true for most of us.

Goofy mistak- hitting your ball into the lake, life altering mistake- hitting your bal into the wedding party outside the clubhouse!!!!

I have terrible grammar. Right now I am taking a mythology class, humanities, and i keep making the same mistakes with grammar no matter how hard i try. I actually ended up crying from frustration because no matter how hard I try , i cannot get grammar right. I always get the same note on papers. Your content is amazing, work harder on your grammar. I even printed out a grammar guideline sheet of things I was missing and still keep messing it up. So yeah i understand about making mistakes. It actually makes me slightly crazy.

I've had breakdowns because of regretting a major mistake/bad decision I made, or a perceived mistake. Its not as bad now but maybe because I avoid making any major life decisions by myself, I also hate advising others on difficult decisions because if I am giving them the wrong advice and there were some dort of implications I would not be able to forgive myself. This causes people to think I am not supporting them, when I am but just not by giving advice.

Is intolerance for your own mistakes an Aspie thing?

Quite possibly.

My little experience of meeting others on the spectrum suggests aspies are hard on themselves. Sense of failure, may be letting others down. It's a moment of unwelcome uncertainty.

I am particularly hard on myself.

Tell me about it! Things that I let others get by with, I'll ream myself over, or especially technique and execution mistakes in golf, drive me nuts!

Fear of mistakes kept me away from drawing for a long time. I had to really commit to learning it. But it's no different from any other skill I've acquired. Yes, I still make mistakes, and when I see them afterwards it kinda niggles at me, but I'm getting better and that's very satisfying.

New Threads

Top Bottom