• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Misophonia and Aspies?

yes yes, a thousand times yes! I have misophonia as well! it is the biggest problem with my being aspie. mainly when the main thing making me furious is my mom's voice. she does this ticking thing in her throat that is just so repulsive! and i always react in an aspie way. it doesnt help that she always calls me a ***** or tells me im a freak.

Wow! My daughter (ASD) has always reacted negatively to certain sounds...shes so annoyed at the sound of people eating sunflower seeds, chewing gum, the dog smacking her lips, the sound of the dog lapping her water, the way her very autistic bro breathes, EVERY stim noise he makes, sniffling, birds chirping outside (seemed to tolerate our budgies and cockatiels) people tapping their fingers and of course others eating, especially crunchy things, which unfortunately is a huge stim for her brother who must crunch all the time (chips, hard candy and cookies). Funny I always thought she was having some sensory issues due to the Autism. She seems to be doing ok in her college dorm with her roomie...I'm going to research this more and pass the info along to her. She gets seriously pissed off when she hears those noises. She too, as well as my son, sleep with a fan on full blast right in their face-she said to drown out her brothers voice inflections and the birds early in the am...(here in Hawaii we have tons of different birds chirping.) Yay! My first post!!

Last edited:
So i just read about misophonia and realized that it sounds a lot like me but im not totally sure. Like the sound of people eating makes me unbelievably and incredibly angry. same with the sounds of loud coughs. And its nothing personal. Its just those sounds. And its not a mild frustration. Its anger i can barely control and hold sometimes. The feeling that comes with the sound is rather odd and difficult to explain. Can anyone relate? is it a common thing for aspies to have misophonia?
I always scream to my brother when i hear him eating his food.. its irritating

Yesssssssssssss I literally cannot handle when someone else is chewing. It has gotten worse as I've gotten older too. I have to leave the room it is so bad. Considering wearing ear plugs full time except in class and at work.

Last edited:
I find a few noises very irritating, such as loud gum chewing, really fluid sniffling and have to make a great effort to try to accept that it's just a part of the world.. I don't, however, think it's serious enough to be mysophonia.
However, I have a relative who would always fly into an instant rage if they had to stay in the same room as anyone eating, even quietly.. so that I would!

Yes, there are some noises that piss me off or make me instantly feel angry, such as commercials coming on TV or the radio, certain songs with a high pitched female voice, people whistling, peddlers in cars with megaphones, motorbikes. It's not just that they are annoying, but also painful. I think that this is due to sound sensitivity - I'm very sensitive to sound.

So i just read about misophonia and realized that it sounds a lot like me but im not totally sure. Like the sound of people eating makes me unbelievably and incredibly angry. same with the sounds of loud coughs. And its nothing personal. Its just those sounds. And its not a mild frustration. Its anger i can barely control and hold sometimes. The feeling that comes with the sound is rather odd and difficult to explain. Can anyone relate? is it a common thing for aspies to have misophonia?

My first memory of misophonia was as a boy about 8-9 years old and my Father was eating an apple. The sound (not my Father) was so annoying I guess I glared at him. He tossed the apple on the floor and our relationship remained at odds from then on .... neither of us understanding the reason. I hate restaurants where people have something in a bowl and try to mix the food with a continuous stiring or worse a spoon stabbing sound. Same with people eating potato chips or any crunchy food. I'll mention loud coughs from people who don't cover their mouth.
I find some comfort in knowing there are other people with similar responses. For the most part I prefer being alone and in control of the sounds around me. My wife doesn't understand this at all.

Jim

+1 for Jim... You're definitely not alone and I've also given others death glares because of the sound.... And stomped off to another room. But is anyone here bothered by the sound of their own chewing?

+1 for Jim... You're definitely not alone and I've also given others death glares because of the sound.... And stomped off to another room. But is anyone here bothered by the sound of their own chewing?
The sounds I make don't bother me, probably because of the control I have over them. If I am in a group having lunch or dinner, I am often deliberately quiet, even though I have never met anyone who is sensitive to the same sounds I am.
Glad to have found this group.

But is anyone here bothered by the sound of their own chewing?

I am if the room is quiet, like if I'm the only person eating, but more because I'm afraid of bothering the other person just like those noises would bother me if our positions were switched. Sometimes I don't even want to keep breathing because I'm afraid the sound of my breathing will bother the other person.

Good grief. I nae heard of such a thing until I read this thread. Loud chewing, loud music, ticking clocks, dripping faucets and students tapping or clicking their pens vex me. However, chirping birds, traffic, or kids playing don't bother me at all.

Only yesterday I asked a waitress to turn the music down, and she just shrugged; people in this country thrive on noise pollution. Granted, I wasn't particularly polite, since it was bad music and it WAS loud even for my neurotypical friends, but we shan't be returning to that restaurant. Not all loud music annoys me...it's particular kinds of music with whiny voices or notes strung out to death. Unfortunately, that kinda music is popular today. Apparently it's romantic or something.

I can't wear earplugs, though, cos that is jolly painful after a short while; I feel like my eardrums are being split by nails and I get a headache.

Is there a visual version of this, because flashing telly screens in malls, buses and train stations also drive me up the wall. Same goes for certain smells.

I honestly thought I was the only one, but I nae have met anyone on the spectrum excepting my cousin (who was a violent, manipulative douche).

Like Dogwood, I too wonder if my chewing/breathing is driving somebody else up the wall, particularly since I can't breathe through my nose.

"Is there a visual version of this, because flashing telly screens in malls, buses and train stations also drive me up the wall. Same goes for certain smells."

Finding out about mesophonia has been a kind of blessing for me. I have always been sensitive to sounds that other people seem to accept without problem.
As a follow on thought, I wondered if the sensory thing was more than just sound. In my house, I like the blinds and drapes closed and dim lights. Wearing soft loose fitting clothes with heavy sweat socks while walking soundlessly on wall-to-wall carpeting. NO hard sole shoes clumping across hardwood floors. I only watch TV shows with quiet dialogue and if the show has a baby crying, I mute it until the scene changes. I don't like sudden changes in temperature, like a cold breeze coming through an open window.
Sorry to be off topic and if this belongs in a new subject, in order to not disturb mesophonia, I can move it. (P.S. Sometimes my thoughts come in a reverse order to how others express themselves .... here I am editing this for the 5th time.)

I understand where you are coming from regarding the sensitivity to sounds. The other day I did something I hardly ever do, I went to a restaurant by myself to eat. The people and the sounds do get to me, so the trick I use is to listen to my music from my iPhone. I know this is not a catch all solution, but if I can listen to my own music it seems to drowned out the outside sounds for me. Like kids just not the noise they make.

Good grief. I nae heard of such a thing until I read this thread. Loud chewing, loud music, ticking clocks, dripping faucets and students tapping or clicking their pens vex me. However, chirping birds, traffic, or kids playing don't bother me at all.

LOL, I agree! I don't mind the sound of children playing as long as it isn't really close by. I recently took down the kitchen clock because the noise it made drove me crazy. Now I have to squint at the tiny display on the microwave to see the time.

Only yesterday I asked a waitress to turn the music down, and she just shrugged; people in this country thrive on noise pollution. Granted, I wasn't particularly polite, since it was bad music and it WAS loud even for my neurotypical friends, but we shan't be returning to that restaurant. Not all loud music annoys me...it's particular kinds of music with whiny voices or notes strung out to death. Unfortunately, that kinda music is popular today. Apparently it's romantic or something.
Yes, that is a pain. When we were sitting in the waiting room of a clinic , there were two television sets blasting away, and each played a different program! My husband actually turned one of them off. It was torture to listen to the demented voices and horrible music. Often painful music is played in public places, like stores and I can't marshal my thoughts because the music is so awful.

Is there a visual version of this, because flashing telly screens in malls, buses and train stations also drive me up the wall. Same goes for certain smells.

Surely there is...there's gotta be. Flashing ads on a screen, these neon colors that are so popular again (didn't we get enough of that in the 80's??), repetitive movement...and smells (perfume, ugh!!!). It even bothers me to see certain lines in my field of vision...like if the corner of a table is pointed just so that both edges are pointing at me through that corner. It's like an energy beam or something that makes me feel jumpy and annoyed.

[As a follow on thought, I wondered if the sensory thing was more than just sound. In my house, I like the blinds and drapes closed and dim lights. Wearing soft loose fitting clothes with heavy sweat socks while walking soundlessly on wall-to-wall carpeting. NO hard sole shoes clumping across hardwood floors. I only watch TV shows with quiet dialogue and if the show has a baby crying, I mute it until the scene changes. I don't like sudden changes in temperature, like a cold breeze coming through an open window.
[/QUOTE]

Jim, I'm the opposite to you; I like brightness in a room. If the classroom windows are covered with curtains, I shove them away, even though the lights are on or I plan to show a video later.

Soon as I get home, off go the socks to the laundry basket. I don't like sudden changes in temperature, either.

Yes, that is a pain. When we were sitting in the waiting room of a clinic , there were two television sets blasting away, and each played a different program! My husband actually turned one of them off. It was torture to listen to the demented voices and horrible music. Often painful music is played in public places, like stores and I can't marshal my thoughts because the music is so awful.

Good for your husband! That must have driven your bonkers. I too went to one with the telly on; it was huge but fortunately it wasn't loud. I don't want to look at some asinine soapie. Just put on the news, man. What is it with clinics and stupid telly shows?

Surely there is...there's gotta be. Flashing ads on a screen, these neon colors that are so popular again (didn't we get enough of that in the 80's??), repetitive movement...and smells (perfume, ugh!!!). It even bothers me to see certain lines in my field of vision...like if the corner of a table is pointed just so that both edges are pointing at me through that corner. It's like an energy beam or something that makes me feel jumpy and annoyed.

I have to tell my students not to wear perfume or strong aftershave (or bring coffee) to class. They oblige for the most part, since I have explained I have allergies. Headaches or difficulty breathing is usually instant.

Yeah, repetitive movement like animated icons. So glad this site doesn't have them!

Neon lights have never bothered me, and still don't. I too grew up in the 80s! :D

Wow I'd never heard of that before but it makes sense of so much for me. The sound of people eating drives me crazy so much so that I've often left the room. I am driven to distraction by people sniffing and say to hell with it and offer them a tissue. The sound of snoring I find totally repulsive. My husband is well used to the feel of my elbow. When in the college library Ive often had to restrain my self from shouting 'can you people not breathe without sniffing'

Yes, I have it too! When the phone rings when I am napping it makes me very irritable and I have to control my feelings when answering it. When the TV is too loud, I always put earplugs in. When I am resting from a long shift at work I have to wear earplugs when the TV is on, even when I am in bed and the TV is a long way away. Just the sound of the TV at night if I have to get up at 5 am to get ready for a morning shift is enough to drive me to put in the earplugs.

I get frustrated also when the phone rings when serving customers at work. I have to control my feelings also. It is a constant struggle with me in these cases.

Count me as a "have it." I have always attributed my outrage and mumbled voice over loud speaker (like at a drive through fast food restaurant or, in a shopping mall) to my love of and work with music. I have a keen ear, I have to for what I do so, I though that to be the cause of my outrage at muddled and muffled voices, people who cannot pronounce words correctly. (the kid that says "Wan in got some skagratti." instead of "Ran and got some spaghetti.") those thing anger me more than any other sounds.

I find many sounds annoying and, some painful but, not rage inducing except muddle, muffled and poor pronunciation. I know kids can't help it but, i want to wring their necks and demand the speak properly. I don't I walk away and allow my husband to hear them so that he can tell me what the child intended to say.

New Threads

Top Bottom