• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

medication that helps with executive functioning

Sab

Hi :)

I've been coming to the realization that much of my mental health struggles (depression and anxiety throughout my life) comes mostly from issues relating to executive functioning, obsessive thinking after social interactions and low self-esteem. I can have really good days but sometimes go through long periods of feeling very overwhelmed and exhausted just trying to keep up with every day tasks (food prep, dishes, medical appointments, working part time, taking care of my cat). It leaves me with very little space for maintaining/building relationships, putting things in place to have a more fulfilling career, work on personal projects. I go through constant cycles of burning out from working so hard at basic things and then feeling discouraged and hopeless that I won't be able to do what I want with my life. Which contributes to my low self-esteem.

I've been considering medication for about 2 years now. I tried to talk about it with my doctor once but he didn't believe I was depressed and I've been trying to find alternatives since (have been taking herbs and supplements to help). But it's getting clear that the depressive states come from exhaustion and hopelessness trying to keep up with basic life stuff. I really think I need more support with my executive functioning but am not sure where to start.

I guess I am curious of the types of medication that exist and have been helpful for executive functioning struggles if some of you want to share what your experience with that has been like. Or are any of you aware of online resources or books that can help with setting up strategies to facilitate the every day stuff?

Thank you in advance!

I have been taking prescription methylphenidate for a few months now. My executive function has increased a lot. It’s not a miracle drug or anything (all those social media posts about taking the pill for the first time and suddenly being able to play life on easy mode make me pretty angry), but it has improved my quality of life.

Note that I do have an ADHD diagnosis as well as autism. I got the diagnosis after I asked my psychiatrist if he would consider prescribing methylphenidate for my executive dysfunction and he preferred I was formally assessed first. So here we are ;)

I know Abilify / aripiprazole is sometimes prescribed too. It was not a good fit for me, personally, but I know it works well for others.

I have ASD and ADHD. Vyvanse just made my mind go faster and more chaotic. I can't do Strattera / Adderall or that class of med because I've had strokes so they put me on Guanfacine which is actually made for kids with ASD and ADHD. So far so good. I don't notice big changes in real time but looking back since I started it, there's a big change. My partner also said the difference is noticable.

I have been taking prescription methylphenidate for a few months now. My executive function has increased a lot. It’s not a miracle drug or anything (all those social media posts about taking the pill for the first time and suddenly being able to play life on easy mode make me pretty angry), but it has improved my quality of life.

Note that I do have an ADHD diagnosis as well as autism. I got the diagnosis after I asked my psychiatrist if he would consider prescribing methylphenidate for my executive dysfunction and he preferred I was formally assessed first. So here we are ;)

Thanks for sharing :) I'll look that up!

I've been suspecting I might also have ADHD and have been considering getting an assessment of that so that whatever medication I might try be more adapted to how my brain actually works. I know a lot of the traits are common to both autism and ADHD but autism hasn't been feeling like the whole picture for me. Can I ask if you suspected you also had ADHD before seeking diagnosis? And how that showed up for you? No pressure to share if you don't feel comfortable :)

I forgot to say Trintellix (sometimes called Brintellix) helps also. It's an atypical SSRI that helps with brain fog, confusion, and EF unlike all the other SSRIs.

It worked for me but made me so nauseated I had to stop. My daughter takes it long term with Vyvanse.

I have ASD and ADHD. Vyvanse just made my mind go faster and more chaotic. I can't do Strattera / Adderall or that class of med because I've had strokes so they put me on Guanfacine which is actually made for kids with ASD and ADHD. So far so good. I don't notice big changes in real time but looking back since I started it, there's a big change. My partner also said the difference is noticable.

Thank you for your helpful reply! I imagine that for a lot of people it's trial and error. I always have trouble noticing changes in real time and it's often my partner who points things out. Glad you found something that works for you :)

Can I ask if you suspected you also had ADHD before seeking diagnosis? And how that showed up for you?
I did suspect I had both for a while, yeah. Although I never really realized how much of my daily struggle is caused by ADHD. I’ll try and elaborate tomorrow, it’s late for me and ironically I can’t get my brain to cooperate in trying to verbalize the problems I face on a daily basis. (That in itself is a problem, but autism plays a big role there too)

I have both ADHD and ASD find meds to be an incredible help for my executive functioning deficits, but they often cause issues with my sleeping. I have also heard that some medicines designed for ADHD can actually worsen some struggles with ASD. So it is definitely something to keep an eye on.

For example, I can become so hyper-fixated on finishing a task that I can forget to do other basic things such as eat.

I have both ADHD and ASD find meds to be an incredible help for my executive functioning deficits, but they often cause issues with my sleeping. I have also heard that some medicines designed for ADHD can actually worsen some struggles with ASD. So it is definitely something to keep an eye on.

For example, I can become so hyper-fixated on finishing a task that I can forget to do other basic things such as eat.
Excellent point! I hyperfixate and forget to eat when I’m unmedicated too, but with methylphenidate, which can have an appetite-suppressant effect, it can take way longer for me to realize I need to eat.
Plus side: no more mindless snacking or binge eating to satisfy the need for a quick dopamine fix
Downside: sometimes it takes near fainting for me to realize I haven’t eaten all day

Excellent point! I hyperfixate and forget to eat when I’m unmedicated too, but with methylphenidate, which can have an appetite-suppressant effect, it can take way longer for me to realize I need to eat.
Plus side: no more mindless snacking or binge eating to satisfy the need for a quick dopamine fix
Downside: sometimes it takes near fainting for me to realize I haven’t eaten all day
For sure. I agree with all of that.

New Threads

Top Bottom