• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking a lot younger?

I got asked for my I.D. when i bought a pack of cigarettes today at a store I don't normally go to. I asked the cashier if he actually thought I was under 18. He said that he thought I was 19 or 20 but, had to see my I.D. Needless to say, I was flattered and, he was totally shocked when he saw my I.D. I ended up having to show him my concealed carry permit as well before he believed me that it wasn't a fake I.D.

In the cashiers defense I had done my makeup and was wearing one of my corseted outfits since we were meeting my husband's boss who is in town for the week, to show him the way to our house. (he's staying here for the week.)

[I'm 49, F.Y.I.]

Y'all make me feel so much better. I'm absolutely convinced that I'm still going to be passable for 18 at 49, and it's a very disturbing thought.

I absolutely hate getting haircuts, because for some reason just about every hairstylist likes to make conversation with me by asking if I'm in high school. Once I was having a bad body dysphoria day and got really triggered by the comment so I yelled at the person and said I have a college education and a full time job, god damnit. :emojiconfused:

Oh my god, is this a thing ?! That would explain that, I literally look about 12. I still get ID'd buying alcohol and even 18 certificate DVDs. ... I'm actually 29!!! I feel bad when people discover my age because they always frown and look annoyed as if I had been purposefully deceiving them by just looking young. Then they talk to me in a different way. I prefer people thinking I'm quite young sometimes because it gives me an excuse to be quiet/shy, people expect that from young innocent types like what I look like!!

When I went to uni to do an MA I was one of the oldest students in our group... Most others where fresh out of uni, but I was about 27. But I felt the youngest, they were all very confident, out going, chatty and seemed to have their lives all sorted. I am none of those things, so I was happy for them to think I was young too.

Oh also, when the Sainsburys delivery guy came with my housemates stuff he knocked on the door and I answered, and he said "is your dad home?".... He literally thought I was the son of the house, and it turned out I was older than the delivery guy!!

Yeah, the "are your parents home?" cheat… If I don't want to talk to a door-to-door salesman, I'll never have to.

Oh my god, is this a thing ?! That would explain that, I literally look about 12. I still get ID'd buying alcohol and even 18 certificate DVDs. ... I'm actually 29!!! I feel bad when people discover my age because they always frown and look annoyed as if I had been purposefully deceiving them by just looking young. Then they talk to me in a different way. I prefer people thinking I'm quite young sometimes because it gives me an excuse to be quiet/shy, people expect that from young innocent types like what I look like!!

When I went to uni to do an MA I was one of the oldest students in our group... Most others where fresh out of uni, but I was about 27. But I felt the youngest, they were all very confident, out going, chatty and seemed to have their lives all sorted. I am none of those things, so I was happy for them to think I was young too.

During the first year on my second degree, I was +25 and the young ones, around 17, 18, 19 years old, were always close to me, thinking I was their age. In fact the teacher seemed to think the same, they all were shocked when I said I had a previous degree. I guess for them I was the apparently young wanting to be friends with the olders -aspie thing, which I did since I remember, spend time with older people than me-, which in that case where just 30-35 or so...

I don't know why, but I think it happens aswell on the internet, youngsters tend to befriend me thinking I'm around their age, true I'm kind, friendly and try to be helpful but sometimes I just don't know why they befriend me.

As Ylva says, it happened aswell with door-to-door saleman, and even phone-salesman. Me picking up the phone and them going "where's your mother? Can I talk to an adult?" Not helpful when one has to solve an issue via phone and the operator doesn't believe I'm the one who had a contract with them because I sound way younger.

I have been feeling really weird on the forever young thing lately. The other day I met a someone I remembered as a little 12 year old girl, she is now married with a child and looks older than me. It made me feel like some kind of lost in time Ripvan Winkle freak, as I've hardly changed..on anything. I feel like I'm Hansolo? cast in carbinite standing there silently forever, watching the world buzzing around me, it makes me feel like life is waisted on me.

Age is also a cultural concept. But inwardly, I don't feel like I'm getting older, just like people around me are getting younger.

I have been feeling really weird on the forever young thing lately. The other day I met a someone I remembered as a little 12 year old girl, she is now married with a child and looks older than me. It made me feel like some kind of lost in time Ripvan Winkle freak, as I've hardly changed..on anything. I feel like I'm Hansolo? cast in carbinite standing there silently forever, watching the world buzzing around me, it makes me feel like life is waisted on me.

You and me both. I was out yesterday with a friend I've known since he was 14 - he's 22 now and, he got asked if I was a cousin he'd kept hidden until I got close enough for them to see who I was. [I was dressed in ripped jeans and a baggy T-shirt and just pulled my hair back w/o doing my makeup so they didn't recognize me immediately but they did him. Yes he's a musician too.]

I mean it feels good to look good at my age but still, that much younger?! I feel like I've been in cryosleep or something. LOL

You and me both. I was out yesterday with a friend I've known since he was 14 - he's 22 now and, he got asked if I was a cousin he'd kept hidden until I got close enough for them to see who I was. [I was dressed in ripped jeans and a baggy T-shirt and just pulled my hair back w/o doing my makeup so they didn't recognize me immediately but they did him. Yes he's a musician too.]

I mean it feels good to look good at my age but still, that much younger?! I feel like I've been in cryosleep or something. LOL

I like that I still look nice, but I get may decembered on romance both ways...I'm at a loss as what to do...I don't fit in with ladies my age, and I'm a old troll if I go for girls who match me in my looks, what do I do? Finding a auti or aspie girl who is like me, is like looking for needles in a haystack, most are either married or too gun shy to land.

Well Maelstrom you might want to dedicate yourself to being a rhino (that's a male version of a cougar.) Rhinos are uncommon and, there are a lot of younger women who find guys their age immature so, prefer older men. The fact that you look younger is a bonus, they get the mature older man and, the trophy boyfriend all in one package.

Sometimes you have to capitalize on what you have and, toss a few social convention in the bin. Get a bit thick skinned about being called a cradle robber, it isn't as derogatory as it was a few years ago and, those close to you will soon forget the age difference when they see you and your girl are really good together.

Odds are, she will be mature for her age and, fit well with your age group.

Well Maelstrom you might want to dedicate yourself to being a rhino (that's a male version of a cougar.) Rhinos are uncommon and, there are a lot of younger women who find guys their age immature so, prefer older men. The fact that you look younger is a bonus, they get the mature older man and, the trophy boyfriend all in one package.

Sometimes you have to capitalize on what you have and, toss a few social convention in the bin. Get a bit thick skinned about being called a cradle robber, it isn't as derogatory as it was a few years ago and, those close to you will soon forget the age difference when they see you and your girl are really good together.

Odds are, she will be mature for her age and, fit well with your age group.

You are right Beverly I may have no choice, unless I can find a nice upper graduate aspie girl who has been hiding in the collage library for a decade, even then she'll still be a little younger likely. Does any one know a nice female Russian Archeologist I dreamed I was supposed to marry one...maybe is was just a dream? It was strange tho, allot like my lady in blue dream saying the end of the world was coming, quite powerful?

Last edited:

Oh gosh, I'm friends with people I knew in middle and high school on Facebook and I have that same feeling a lot. One of my high school friends has EIGHT kids and she looks like a middle-aged mom. I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just so WEIRD because I'm stuck in a time warp. Same with a guy I was friends with back then. He looks like a total dad. I'm just now at age 36 starting to look like I'm in my mid-to-late 20s. I got asked "What grade are you in?" until I was almost 30. Just a couple of years ago, a 16-year-old boy tried to ask me out and he thought I was close to his age. Yikes. I've been under a lot of stress the past couple of years and I'm looking older. While I freak out about it, it's not a bad thing, I guess.

Hi BlueConundrum ,I love your avitar, yes I have been feeling unsettled and strange about the looking young thing lately. I have this odd feeling like I'm one of those Easter island statues silently watching the world spin by.

Beverly do you ever feel like the freezing street urchin outside nose pressed against the window glass watching all the happy families inside the warm restaurant laughing and eating? I feel that way sometimes.:confused:

Maelstrom More often than not. I didn't grow up in a normal, functional family - it was very dysfunctional and, by the time I was 12, my mother had become a religious fanatic in the worst possible way. my father was BPD and, more I suspect but, he would never admit to being psychotic at times.

I left that life for a life of music and, ultimately fame. Yeah I know, wonderful, amazing, fun, money, having it all and so on. True but, it also makes you an outsider. For all I was constantly surrounded by people and praised, cheered, even proposed to, I could never have a normal life. All I could do was watch from behind my proverbial glass wall while normal people sat in that restaurant eating, laughing and relaxing without a care in the world.

I was the urchin wearing Prada and diamonds but, still the urchin looking in from the outside. Prada isn't very warm and diamonds can be colder than ice against your skin when you don't want them there.

There was a time I regretted my choices, wanted a normal life but, by then it was too late for that. You never know how good the simple things in life are until you can't have them anymore. But I came to terms with the life I built and, learned to live it and love it for what it is, a quirky, fast paced, ever changing world where everyone wears facades, and nothing is what it seems. But under it all are some of the most amazing individuals you'll ever meet, people that make the challenges I have overcome look like I had it all handed to me on a silver platter.

I'd never have know how amazing those people are if I hadn't made the choices I did. I even know two very famous musicians who are at least partially deaf, yet they are among the best of the best. That just proves there is no obstacle you can't overcome if you really want to overcome it. If a man can build a mega successful career based on sounds he can't hear, anyone can do anything they set their mind to doing.

I'll never have a normal life but, I've accepted that as the price for all the good that has come my way and, all the good I have done and, may yet do - it's worth being the urchin when that urchin can make a difference in just one life and, I've been blessed with that opportunity multiple times in my life.

And hey, I still look young enough to wear that Prada while I stand out there and let the diamond earrings freeze right out of my ears. :p

I just got the young disbelief thing from the barber lady I went to yesterday. I told her my son was 25, and she couldn't believe it.
Once when my son was in high school, we were driving with a friend of his in the car, and stopped to talk to the friends mom. After a while she asked her son who the friend is that was driving, thinking that I was a high school friend. It's not like I didn't know here either, but I must have just gotten a haircut or something and she didn't recognize me. So for me, a lot depends on how I dress, if I have a beard which is graying, long or short hair, and if I have been taking care of myself. I'm 54, and depending on those variables, I could pass for 35, or 65.

I'm 25 and look like I'm 16 or 15. People often think I look younger than my cousin who is 20. Then again, I'm a transman and transmen often look younger, especially when our 'second puberty' isn't complete. I also take heavily after my NT dad who is 50, but looks late 30's and would look younger if he got healthy. He was getting carded until he started getting gray hairs in his 40's. My NT half-sister, from my dad, is late 20's and looks like a teenage Natalie Portman or Keira Knightely.

We're just a baby-faced family. I inherited my Aspie genes from my mothers side.

I posted a selfie on a social media site - no makeup and asked people to guess my age without searching the internet (it is out there if you look for it.) The youngest guess in the space of one week was 18, the oldest was 31. Then a friend of mine posted "That's sick (meaning a good thing) that you look like a MILF naturally at 50." Okay he fudged my age up a few months but, the reaction was shock, then loads of "HOW?" after internet searches confirmed my age for them. LOL.

New Threads

Top Bottom