• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

*Someone is rude to an Aspie*
Oh, don't take it personally, they're probably just having a bad day, have empathy for their feelings!

*An Aspie is rude to someone (because they're having a bad day)*
You may be having a bad day but that's no reason to be rude, have empathy for their feelings!

These double standards are the main reason I HATE autism. We're always in the wrong no matter what. We're not allowed to have feelings or act irrationally. We should "know better" and be empathetic, kind and respectful at all times, no matter how overwhelmed we might be feeling inside.

"An Aspie expecting people to know what's going on inside their head is a perfect example of lacking theory of mind"

However

"An Aspie not knowing what's going on in other people's heads is a perfect example of lacking theory of mind"

Can we do anything right? Are we allowed to be an imperfect human just like every NT on the planet?

Yeah, with the exception of my mum's phone, anyone else I ask first (and also get their response in case it's someone they don't want to talk to).
I learnt this when I was about 8 at my grandparent's house. Their telephone rang and I jumped up and said "I'll answer it!" and my mum grabbed my arm and said, "hey, you don't answer someone else's phone." And ever since then I have never answered someone else's phone unless asked to.

Me: I wish I could have a baby
Advice: Well leave your old man of a husband, find someone your age, and have a baby

OK, that's such great advice, how come I never thought of that? I'll go home, tell my darling husband I'm divorcing him, "find someone" my age (like it'll be as simple and promising as finding a tree in a forest), and make a baby. Life is so easy and simple!

Me: I wish I could have a baby
Advice: Well leave your old man of a husband, find someone your age, and have a baby

OK, that's such great advice, how come I never thought of that? I'll go home, tell my darling husband I'm divorcing him, "find someone" my age (like it'll be as simple and promising as finding a tree in a forest), and make a baby. Life is so easy and simple!

Yeah, that is ridiculous advice to give to you.

When you phone someone's mobile and it's engaged but it still rings your end as though the line is available. And similarly when other calls come through while you're on the phone, as it sort of intrudes on your phonecall or makes the person you're talking to suddenly say "oh Jane is trying to ring". Ugh, I know it sounds like advanced modern technology but I prefer things how they were 30 years ago when we just had to have one phonecall at a time.

Oh my God, I've just realised something; that precisely 30 years ago I actually remember we still had one of those rotary telephones in my house. It feels weird knowing we went from that to having the smartphones we have today in the space of only 30 years.

Oh my God, I've just realised something; that precisely 30 years ago I actually remember we still had one of those rotary telephones in my house. It feels weird knowing we went from that to having the smartphones we have today in the space of only 30 years.
Whenever I think of Dial Phones, all I can think of is this Lee Evans joke.

"Remember the old dial phones? Took ages to dial a number...so whose bright idea was it to put the Emergency Services at the end?!"

Nostalgia movie reviews on YouTube that are only like two minutes long. What's the point? I love watching movie reviews (of movies I have seen only) and I prefer it when the reviewer talks you through the whole movie, for two reasons:-
- I like to hear in-depth talk about a movie from someone else's perspective
- I like when they mention a detail I might have missed or not understood

When people on internet forums have to associate everything with autism even stuff that is just normal human behaviour, like liking bananas or disliking the smell of sewage or having an allergy to nuts or being afraid of heights or whatever. I know people do it to try and figure themselves out and all that but it then makes me start questioning my diagnosis.

On another autism site one time there was a thread stating that autism are the rule-breakers while NTs are the rule-followers. I posted saying I thought it was the other way around but they all doubted me and agreed strongly that we're the rule-breakers.
But then a few weeks later there was a thread containing the same members agreeing to the fact that NTs are the rule-breakers while Aspies tend to prefer to follow rules. Now that made much more sense. Generally it's the NTs that like to cut corners, be "dishonest" and break rules such as going over the speed limit when driving. Not saying that is beneath Aspies but I still think Aspies are more likely to want to follow rules and basically worship rules.
I'm not one of those Aspies by the way, but it's still quite believable that a lot of Aspies (people on the spectrum) are more drawn to (written) rules and even like rules to be in place because it feels easy to be able to have something to go by and most written rules are predictable.

However, I hate most written rules. Written rules make me nervous, because it takes mental effort to have to remember them if they lack common sense. Most rules these days are down to avoiding lawsuits, which I believe takes your freedom away.

When people on internet forums have to associate everything with autism even stuff that is just normal human behaviour, like liking bananas or disliking the smell of sewage or having an allergy to nuts or being afraid of heights or whatever. I know people do it to try and figure themselves out and all that but it then makes me start questioning my diagnosis.

On another autism site one time there was a thread stating that autism are the rule-breakers while NTs are the rule-followers. I posted saying I thought it was the other way around but they all doubted me and agreed strongly that we're the rule-breakers.
But then a few weeks later there was a thread containing the same members agreeing to the fact that NTs are the rule-breakers while Aspies tend to prefer to follow rules. Now that made much more sense. Generally it's the NTs that like to cut corners, be "dishonest" and break rules such as going over the speed limit when driving. Not saying that is beneath Aspies but I still think Aspies are more likely to want to follow rules and basically worship rules.
I'm not one of those Aspies by the way, but it's still quite believable that a lot of Aspies (people on the spectrum) are more drawn to (written) rules and even like rules to be in place because it feels easy to be able to have something to go by and most written rules are predictable.

However, I hate most written rules. Written rules make me nervous, because it takes mental effort to have to remember them if they lack common sense. Most rules these days are down to avoiding lawsuits, which I believe takes your freedom away.
If that other autism site is WP you'll be doing yourself a favour by avoiding it. The utter hate on that site is disturbing although not everywhere but the propensity to argue is high. I left a long time ago and don't regret it at all.

Last edited:
I looked at WP before joining this site. WP gave me "bad vibes." This site seems much more chill. What drew me here was a thread wherein it segued to religion/politics and everyone just ... stayed civil.

Going back on-topic, I'd say TV/movies that are heavily drama-centric. I used to think that I was only being childish in liking certain genres. Well I am still childish but I recently realized I literally cannot understand the small talk / dialogue undercurrents which drives the plots forward. Comprehending these dramas requires tracking a mental and emotional state of each character.

If that other autism site is WP you'll be doing yourself a favour by avoiding it. The utter hate on that site is disturbing although not everywhere but the propensity to argue is high. I left a long time ago and don't regret it at all.
Oh I'm banned from there. There's a lot of group-thinking and cliquenes going on there and I got banned for pointing that out. :tearsofjoy:

I looked at WP before joining this site. WP gave me "bad vibes." This site seems much more chill. What drew me here was a thread wherein it segued to religion/politics and everyone just ... stayed civil.
Yep.
Going back on-topic, I'd say TV/movies that are heavily drama-centric. I used to think that I was only being childish in liking certain genres. Well I am still childish but I recently realized I literally cannot understand the small talk / dialogue undercurrents which drives the plots forward. Comprehending these dramas requires tracking a mental and emotional state of each character.
I actually like that sort of stuff lol. But I don't think you're childish for not liking that sort of stuff. We all have our own tastes.

I can't stand marvel stuff, or stuff like James Bond. Just not my cup of tea.

If I buy a T shirt advertising my favourite band or sports team, that's fine. People are glad to know where I stand at a glance. If I dress to signal I'm into goth or anime, I'm participating in a community. If I buy expensive cars or clothes, I'm asserting my identity. But if I buy blue razors instead of pink ones, It's stupid and pointless. However, I'm also free to be particular about a gendered pronoun.

When you start a thread that includes an English word that Americans are unfamiliar with, and the whole thread turns into a discussion about the English word rather than what the topic is supposed to be.

Ads EVERYWHERE. They keep popping up and spoiling my focus if they are overt, and if that isn't happening, as often as not, the content is just packaging for a few sponsored messages presented in disguise. I'd like to see advertising taxed to death, and have honest search engines to find products I've decided I want.

Update - I was trying to read a long article on line, and the text kept jumping as the ads refreshed every minute. I spent over 10% of my time looking for where I'd left off.
I'm also irritated by the title/introduction portion of most video clips. Those are left over from when shorts were unlisted surprises before a feature film. Their function has been duplicated by the descriptions that got me to click on the video, so I want to get to the content right away.
Then, there's the repetition. If I decide to really concentrate on a lecture, far too often I find out that I've just listened to an explanation of the same point over again. It's like getting a mouthfull of feathers. I also don't want to hear about someone's whole day before they got to the observation site.

When I want to view the comments on one of those shorts on Facebook (videos) but you have to have the Instagram app to view the comments, which I don't have (and probably never will).

New Threads

Top Bottom