• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

Pictures in newspapers or on websites that just show blurs because they don't want to show a person's face, so all you get is this torso with a blur on top of it - what's the point of that? Or documentaries where they can't show a person's face and you end up just watching blurs. If you don't want to/can't show a face then don't - show something else that you can show.

Daily Mail and Telegraph readers who criticise people on benefits and label them "Work shy slaves to the benefit system", falsehood! If we could get jobs, the majority of us would willingly do so, but as I've been saying for years, disabled people have almost no chance outside of the voluntary sector IMO because the government won't do anything about the so called equality laws not being worth the paper they're printed on.

When its raining or has recently rained, you're walking/running over paving stones and you step on a loose paving stone, which causes all the water that has drained through the cracks to spurt up and soak your legs and feet.
It happened to me this morning on my way to work and took forever to dry.

Pictures in newspapers or on websites that just show blurs because they don't want to show a person's face, so all you get is this torso with a blur on top of it - what's the point of that? Or documentaries where they can't show a person's face and you end up just watching blurs. If you don't want to/can't show a face then don't - show something else that you can show.

There's a reason for that, some people's faces are blurred out in news reports of serious Court cases etc for fear of recriminations against the suspect if their face is put into the public domain.

There's a reason for that, some people's faces are blurred out in news reports of serious Court cases etc for fear of recriminations against the suspect if their face is put into the public domain.
Yes, I know that there is a reason for it and I understand and respect that, but I think that they could find a better solution than showing us a lot of blurs - they can show another part of their body which won't identify them, or a related object or building, or have an actor speak for them.

Yes, I know that there is a reason for it and I understand and respect that, but I think that they could find a better solution than showing us a lot of blurs - they can show another part of their body which won't identify them, or a related object or building, or have an actor speak for them.

I agree with you.

A related peeve of mine is the way some video clips on news websites or whatever have a middle vertical strip of watchable video, and then a flanking strip on either side that shows some sort of a blurred version of what is going on in the watchable part. Someone told me that this is done when the original video was filmed by a cell-phone that was held vertically, and so when it is displayed in a normal landscape-mode screen shape, it leaves a lot of blank space on each side.

If it's true, that is fine, but in that case they should just leave the two "flanks" blank, for heaven's sake. There is no value whatsoever to be gained by showing a blurry version of the watchable middle portion in the flank on each side. It just serves as a distraction and an irritation.

When you watch movies or TV shows (live action or animated) where a character is woken up as soon as the alarm clock goes off, only to declare "oh no - I'm late!"
Why do these people set their alarm clock to wake them up at a time that risks making them late? It makes no sense.

Here's two examples:
Cardcaptors - Episode 1: (1:45 to 2:15)

Sailor Moon - Episode 1: (2:55 - 3:00)

That is such a good observation I've never made! You're right, it makes no sense.

Not so much a weird one, but something that has greatly annoyed me nonetheless.

My mother's boyfriend breaking up with her for the third time. All three break-ups have been him wanting to end the relationship before wanting to get back together (and promising that things will change) and with this third break-up, he couldn't even muster the courage to end the relationship face-to-face. Instead, he did it via text.

My mum was kind of expecting it, but its still left her in a depressive mood where she feels that life in general just doesn't want her to be happy.
She's had dates and relationships in the past but they've either ended because the other person decided they didn't want to continue or my mum ended it because the other person was trying to control her life.

Needless to say, I've now got to try and get my mum out of her depressive state of mind - which isn't going to be easy, especially with how angry I am at her now ex-boyfriend.

Not so much a weird one, but something that has greatly annoyed me nonetheless.

My mother's boyfriend breaking up with her for the third time. All three break-ups have been him wanting to end the relationship before wanting to get back together (and promising that things will change) and with this third break-up, he couldn't even muster the courage to end the relationship face-to-face. Instead, he did it via text.

My mum was kind of expecting it, but its still left her in a depressive mood where she feels that life in general just doesn't want her to be happy.
She's had dates and relationships in the past but they've either ended because the other person decided they didn't want to continue or my mum ended it because the other person was trying to control her life.

Needless to say, I've now got to try and get my mum out of her depressive state of mind - which isn't going to be easy, especially with how angry I am at her now ex-boyfriend.

Your Mum needs to be strong and not have him back again.

My Uncle and Auntie went through this cycle for 20 years before eventually ending it properly, and they are so much better individually. They were totally toxic to eachother, destroyed eachother.

Drivers who tailgate or pass you in a no passing zone. Farm implement drivers who go unbearably slowly and don't have the consideration to pull off periodically and let the line of cars that's piled up, pass.
Knees that creak and crackle
Ooops delete that first paragraph, those aren't weird.

When I visit my local Sainsbury's shop I see most items costing more than a supermarket that's further away and less convenient to get to, and some of exactly the same items actually cost a lot more, while it's extremely rare to see anything cheaper, but it winds me up to see signs and a bag with "Live Well for Less" written on it when it's a blatant lie because exactly the same items would cost considerably less if I travelled further to a cheaper supermarket. It also annoys me when I see so called "reduced" items that say you "save" so much, when often they're reduced to the normal non reduced price of the shop further away, so really you're not saving anything and sometimes when Sainsbury's reduce stuff the other shop reduces them further. For instance a large yogurt costs £2.25 at Sainsbury's and £1.50 at the other shop, Sainsbury's then had it on offer at £1.50 for a while where you were apparently saving 75p, but the other shop further reduced the item to £1 at the same time so it was still 50p more expensive, argh "Live Well for Less", SO WHY IS IT COSTING ME MORE? lol! It annoys me when I see any misleading advert that I know isn't true anywhere, why do people fall for them?

I am over sensitive to certain sounds which I struggle to handle when in my own flat, my most hated sound is the bass from music, even a car passing by raises my blood pressure, even though many people would hate this, for myself it's to the extreme. Even noise of people outside moving about or a neighbour is hard to handle sometimes. I also hate the sound of a broom brushing, for some reason it makes me cringe and I just can't handle it.

Last edited:
The thing with commercials, I'm the opposite of most it seems. I actually like the downtime. It's a break to go to the bathroom, get a drink or something to nibble on, or a blanket, or check the fire, or whatever, so I'm all ready for the next part. Which helps me relax. What annoys me is when people keep flipping back and forth to see what else is on during a commercial. Shoots my stress level through the roof. It's like someone's shaking up my brain during the break. And I often miss some of the show as it comes back. Just leave the thing alone please!!!

Another thing is these paging menus at fast food places. Ok I understand you can save a lot of energy and worker time by displaying it electronically. Fine. But when the menu shows one choice, then I start to think about if it's what I want, and look again and that choice is gone, then that's a big problem for me. Some places at least I can stand back to decide (since I don't like to block others when I've not decided), but so many places have the counter light bar hanging just so it blocks the screens unless you're right up there. Same reason I won't use drive thrus, I hate being put on the spot while others are waiting, I don't like drive thrus for many reasons.

Then my boss who doesn't seem to care when it's lunch or end of day or whatever. I've gotten to where I avoid releasing a project at the end of the day or before lunch even if I'm done, because he will want to come and talk about something new when we are off the clock. He comes over and says we wanna do this and this and this, but we can talk about it after lunch. Then goes to leave and turns around for another spiel, and says we can talk about it after lunch. And again. And before I know it, my mind is a jumbled mess and lunch is half over. Lunch is supposed to be our downtime to collect ourselves, it even says so in the handbook. And at the end of the day, I surely am NOT going to think about it at home.

When you go to the Cinema and the adverts/trailers are nearly as long as the main feature.

I know Cineworld does "Autism specific" showings which are usually the first Sunday of the month, which have no ads or trailers, but they're hard to get to because they're early in the morning, about 11 AM GMT.

When you go to the Cinema and the adverts/trailers are nearly as long as the main feature.

I know Cineworld does "Autism specific" showings which are usually the first Sunday of the month, which have no ads or trailers, but they're hard to get to because they're early in the morning, about 11 AM GMT.
You can often avoid the Ads and trailers if they tell you the actual movie start time by turning up later, but you often have to sit down in the dark and if it's busy or you're allocated a specific seat not by the isle it can be even worse as you have to get past people already sitting, sometimes they however have a 5 minute refreshments break just before the actual feature when they charge absolutely scandalous daylight robbery prices while making sure the air is warm and especially dry so people are more likely to be thirsty, plus they'll often advertise nice cool drinks shown close up on the big screen just before the break in case you've managed to put it to the back of your mind. Have you ever noticed how you're often more thirsty in the cinema? They also often ban people from bringing in their own drinks and that's where they really make their money because they make almost pure profit on draft soda drinks and it can be more than annoying when you see prices that often make service stations look like cheap discount stores when you're desperately thirsty. In fact you can easily spend a lot more than the cost of watching the movie itself just on drinks alone. Then if you're hungry too, I think you need to think about a mortgage lol, then if it's something savoury, expect plenty of salt to make you even more thirsty. Of course they also have lots of very well advertised, but very overpriced sweets Etc. that appeal to children, and adults will forced buy them just keep their younger children quiet.

If they could get away with it they'd most probably charge more for autistic screening as they make less money skipping the Ads and trailers, plus they'll probably sell less extortionately priced food and drinks because people won't be sitting bored for as long waiting for the movie to start, but they wouldn't dare risk bad publicity and possible outrage. Instead they'll just choose an extreme off peak time when they may get a few more people in than normal.

Last edited:
Yes, that's one thing I can't stand: I've paid for my cinema ticket, and it's not cheap, than then they expect me to sit through adverts!! This is something I really object to, which puts me off going to the cinema. I prefer to watch movies at home.

Yes, that's one thing I can't stand: I've paid for my cinema ticket, and it's not cheap, than then they expect me to sit through adverts!! This is something I really object to, which puts me off going to the cinema. I prefer to watch movies at home.

And then some people wonder why movie Piracy is so rife... OK I know the majority of the popular Torrent sites have been forcibly shut down, but there's ways round that, which of course I can't mention, I don't wanna get banned.

The projectionist lets me take bathroom breaks, and there's never anyone sitting in front of me wearing a hat. And the multi-channel Dolby sound is great! Yeah, home theater rocks. :cool:

And then some people wonder why movie Piracy is so rife... OK I know the majority of the popular Torrent sites have been forcibly shut down, but there's ways round that, which of course I can't mention, I don't wanna get banned.
A lot of mainstream public torrents sites still exist, although they're blocked when surfing normally by UK ISPs due to high court orders and many pirate links on Google have been removed from the search results. The best way to reduce piracy is to offer feasible legal alternatives, Netflix and other streaming services are a great start and there's no annoying Ads interrupting your viewing either, plus unlike the cinema you are in control of when you watch them. There's now even a few game streaming services such as Playstation Now (similar to a Netflix for games) that I hope become more popular. They will never stop piracy completely however and there will always be workarounds.

A lot of mainstream public torrents sites still exist, although they're blocked when surfing normally by UK ISPs due to high court orders and many pirate links on Google have been removed from the search results. The best way to reduce piracy is to offer feasible legal alternatives, Netflix and other streaming services are a great start and there's no annoying Ads interrupting your viewing either, plus unlike the cinema you are in control of when you watch them. There's now even a few game streaming services such as Playstation Now (similar to a Netflix for games) that I hope become more popular. They will never stop piracy completely however and there will always be workarounds.
I have a PVR so I can record and view programmes whenever I like.

Auto playing videos on websites that glue themselves to the top of the page. If I want to watch a video, get it out of my face and let me take care of it. Talk about a slice of hell...enough of this already.

Conversations in the men's restroom while doing "your thing". Yes, I get that we're evolved apes, but this is about on par with flinging your own crap IMO. If I'm "occupied", do me a favor: leave me alone, wait for me to get done, and then start making mouth noises.

This is barely the tip of the iceberg, plenty of things that annoy me.

New Threads

Top Bottom