• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Late diagnosed

It's not too bad once you get used to it.

Humanoids1.jpg

;)

Hi all

I am a 49 year old man, who was diagnosed with Aspergers, now called autism, when I was 48. So I have had a little more than a year to get used to this diagnosis. It has clarified some things in my life, while others are still some I explore and adjust my life to.
Many people here were diagnosed late. Not to put you down, but that would almost seem to be the norm. I was diagnosed at age 60. Like you, it explained too many things about my life, and I accepted it readily. What I have trouble with is coming to terms with how not being diagnosed earlier affect my life. What I could have accomplished, what I could have done if only I had know when young and gotten the support I needed.

I have said this before, the DSM-V was simplified, politically corrected, and de-offensivized to near uselessness. And not just for autism. For example, alcoholism is now chronic ethanol abuse syndrome. It sounds so puffy and harmless, with non of the destructive connotations of the word alcoholism.

It was a great idea to join this forum. Thank you for the warm welcome. One of the things I have learned is how much less social I am, so I do not try to be social anymore, unless I really feel like it. My dream for the future is to move to the countryside and live a peaceful life, close to nature, the forest, for instance. I love the forest.

Many people here were diagnosed late. Not to put you down, but that would almost seem to be the norm. I was diagnosed at age 60. Like you, it explained too many things about my life, and I accepted it readily. What I have trouble with is coming to terms with how not being diagnosed earlier affect my life. What I could have accomplished, what I could have done if only I had know when young and gotten the support I needed.

I understand the feeling, but see the other side too. If you had been diagnosed as a kid over 50 years ago, the expectations of you would have been different, and people would have told you that you couldn't do xyz. Most important, *you* could have thought that some things were out of reach because you had a disability. The label comes with a cost, not just benefits.

Glad to have you aboard with us, @Greening

Late diagnosis is better than none for alot. In fact it's that most common thing that happens. But it's alright. We all are wonderful individuals, and need other wonderful individuals, like us, in our lives, in this strange and confusing world.

My dream for the future is to move to the countryside and live a peaceful life, close to nature, the forest, for instance. I love the forest.

That does sound like a good idea to me~

Nature has always been a good place to be, even for me. Even if you don't explore far. That brief disconnection from society is just bliss. But actually living within/next to nature would be amazing. I have to agree.

I have so many ideas of my own for an ideal home. But that's a topic all within itself.

New Threads

Top Bottom