• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lack of job opportunities

I understand how you feel, and if I hurt you, I'm sorry. That was never my intention. I was only trying to be helpful.

But I think you might be taking the Facebook comments a little personally. Do you mention you have hearing trouble and ASD in every post? I can't see how anyone would know or care about the fact that you have these conditions unless you do. And anybody you encounter in person who mistreats you is preying on what he or she perceives as a weakness. You have to see your differences as a strength, not a hindrance.

We've all had our own struggles with communication and bullying and what have you, but you've got to remember that the people who hurt us intentionally are far outnumbered by those who are merely ignorant of our experiences. But that's something that can be addressed. I do not, however, think the cause is aided by turning it into an "us versus them" scenario. It's a tempting thing to do, especially if a person's found it difficult to cope with the realities of ASD, but it's not at all worthwhile.

I genuinely believe most people will try to understand each other if given the chance. It's often frightening and confusing to look at things from someone else's perspective, but it's better to at least try than to shut down completely and say it's impossible.

You have friends here. Please don't give up on yourself. (And if you have suicidal ideations, then please don't hesitate to get help.)

There is always a person who isn't capable of me being their friend or a persoj to communicate with. I only mention my hearing loss because I need to make sure they speak clearer do I can understand what they say.

Unfortunately, I believe there are many things I don't realised I hsve a problem in case scenario which mske NTs be turned off socially.

To the lesser extent in terms of employment. Whilst working at the cafe at the moment i am having trouble getting along with all of the young ladies working there. They only talk to me as telling me what to do. Not really talking to be like socially. I always inititate the conversation but they never do that to me.

I have a lot to say about society in general, but let us focus on employment (although I admit they may be interlinked)

A lot of friends often mention, they do not have experience, the people skills, the understanding of the jobs available in the market (and their pay), nor the luck involved in finding jobs. On the job, we have to survive both probation, and after this, the nagging by our bosses and colleagues. Not to forget our clients. Those interpersonal skills. Even if we say nothing, in an unstructured setting (where most of us will probably not do due to lack of opportunities or lack of ability to stand 'underemployment'), we face socialization issues at work. Not to forget our other weaknesses - I have ADHD too, and I figure other handicaps may also adversely affect our chances for a job.

But I believe we do have a strength. I enjoy watching documentaries through YouTube. I also enjoy looking at company reports and stock charts. I also know fellow Aspie investors (especially Judge!), Aspie 'media personalities' (like Dizzy and Biblio-Love, on top of my head), Aspies who teach (Soup), Aspies who help us when we are down (Arashi!) and Aspie artists (especially LikeYouToMe) - oh, Aspies have a lot of strengths that we really look forward to share here :)

I would rather look at the strengths we Aspies as a whole bring to our world, than to groan about the lack of job opportunities. All we need is insight on our abilities, our skills and dedication, our understanding of our jobs, a smile, some patience, some support somewhere (AC?), and an opportunity.

There is always a person who isn't capable of me being their friend or a persoj to communicate with. I only mention my hearing loss because I need to make sure they speak clearer do I can understand what they say.

Unfortunately, I believe there are many things I don't realised I hsve a problem in case scenario which mske NTs be turned off socially.

To the lesser extent in terms of employment. Whilst working at the cafe at the moment i am having trouble getting along with all of the young ladies working there. They only talk to me as telling me what to do. Not really talking to be like socially. I always inititate the conversation but they never do that to me.

Matt, you have to maintain some perspective about your present job, as you would any job. It's just one instance where you may or may not get along with the people you work with. Don't let it define YOU. Let it define THEM.

There are going to be jobs where the chemistry just isn't right, apart from concerns over the Aspie-Neurotypical divide. It just comes with having to deal with a varied job environment. Especially if there's an educational or intellectual divide, which was my experience in taking jobs not fitted to my education or training. It was just another aspect of having to exist in a bad economy. This too, shall pass!

I have a lot to say about society in general, but let us focus on employment (although I admit they may be interlinked)

A lot of friends often mention, they do not have experience, the people skills, the understanding of the jobs available in the market (and their pay), nor the luck involved in finding jobs. On the job, we have to survive both probation, and after this, the nagging by our bosses and colleagues. Not to forget our clients. Those interpersonal skills. Even if we say nothing, in an unstructured setting (where most of us will probably not do due to lack of opportunities or lack of ability to stand 'underemployment'), we face socialization issues at work. Not to forget our other weaknesses - I have ADHD too, and I figure other handicaps may also adversely affect our chances for a job.

But I believe we do have a strength. I enjoy watching documentaries through YouTube. I also enjoy looking at company reports and stock charts. I also know fellow Aspie investors (especially Judge!), Aspie 'media personalities' (like Dizzy and Biblio-Love, on top of my head), Aspies who teach (Soup), Aspies who help us when we are down (Arashi!) and Aspie artists (especially LikeYouToMe) - oh, Aspies have a lot of strengths that we really look forward to share here :)

I would rather look at the strengths we Aspies as a whole bring to our world, than to groan about the lack of job opportunities. All we need is insight on our abilities, our skills and dedication, our understanding of our jobs, a smile, some patience, some support somewhere (AC?), and an opportunity.

Geordie Like the way you put it, I feel we all have our own strength, it is just a case of finding it.

Sometimes I wish we could opt to pool all our skills into our own self-contained community.

Just dreaming, I know. But it sounds like a nice dream...especially for those of us having such a hard time finding work.

We all appear to bring good things to the table. I just wish it was OUR table rather than someone elses. <sigh>

At the moment, Australia is facing a huge unemployment crisis. It's not just your area, I'm sure it's nation wide. Many recruitment agencies will agree with this, and there are more people currently on the dole now than usual.

True, a lot of it is probably due to the right wing government, as I know a few people who were cut from government jobs over the past few years, as well as the problem of many Australian business shutting down (Holden leaving Australia, Farmers going out of business due to people buying overseas imports, even the high Australian dollar effected jobs normally outsourced from America to us).

Most jobs, as you said, are being focused on the mining booms (only because Australia needs these industries to keep us afloat right now), but it's estimated that it will not last. Hang in there; it's tough for everyone at the moment, except maybe employers.

Also, just a bit of Aussie-education; the term 'bogan' isn't necessarily a derogatory term, even if Aussies are guilty of using it in such a way (everyone does, it's not taboo). It has a similar meaning as 'red neck' does in America, but true bogans are loud and proud, and will actively call each other 'bogans' rather fondly. Being a bogan usually means being honest, fun-loving, and living modestly (many wear singlets, shorts, and thongs - or no shoes at all). Many are quite lovely people actually.

In saying that, bogans aren't necessarily lazy or stupid; though some may be. I've met some rather successful bogans; I've even worked once as a waitress, where I served a bogan; who was wearing the typical bogan attire, and drinking his xxxx bitter. My manager informed me that he was in fact a CEO of a very reputable manufacturing company, and was worth about $2 billion dollars (as we were a fairly fancy, white collar, family-friendly restaurant, that often catered for many important business people).

G'day Aussieaspie91,

Not sure if you've read my profile, but I'm an environmental consultant in the mining and quarrying sector in Brisbane. Everybody is hurting right now. With the constant drops in gold prices, companies that were relying on gold prices (even other mineral prices hinge off gold) to fund new projects have to keep shelving those projects. I've had about six large projects I was counting on to keep me busy put on hold in the last six months. I know the company I work for is doing relatively well, but I only have 8 hours of chargeable work lined up for next week. If I can't charge my time, then I am a cost to the company, not making them money.

One thing I have noticed is that you talk about sustainable development, but you volunteer etc for the greens party and from the little you've said you don't like the mining sector because its so destructive. I'm not up for an argument, you are entitled to whatever views you like, but...

Most of the environmental jobs in Australia are working in the resource industry. If you remove this from your list of what work you're willing to do, then you have already limited your opportunities greatly. Prospective employers do google applicants, and if they see anything that would suggest activism against their industry, that person won't get a look in on the job.

Good on you for doing all the volunteer work though. I think that will look really good on your cv. Just keep at it, something will come along.

I'm in Australia. I Live in a small rural town south west of Brisbane. I have a degree in education and another in visual arts. I work in special education. But I would love to just live as a abstract painter, isolated from all the human traffic :)

Ok, ive always appreciated lateral thinkers. A work colleague told me he hired a guy recently. He'd been talking about hiring an extra person, but wasnt yet sure. He recieved a letter from someone looking for work, and thought meh, wheres the harm in looking at him. When he got him in, he found out this guy had grabbed the phone directory, and just hit everyone he thought might prove to be an opportunity. 300 letters later, he was hired. Why? He showed creatively and drive and sold himself. On top of that he saved us thousands of potential applicants, to interview. In the end the essence of this guy, is what they were after and his qualifications, second

Have studied Bachelor of Environmental Science and done internships and volunteering in environmental, wildlife, natural resources management and sustainability fields.

I am underemployed since graduated at end of 2012, and recently started working at a local deli cafe because I need money. Since last year I have been applying several interested environmental jobs across the east coast of Australia in range between entry level/graduate to middle class. I am yet get any interviews!!

The employment agency that offers support to disability people has helped me to write a professional cover letter, resume and references for each job applications. Yet still, professionally, no offer of employment nor interview relating to my University's degree.

Is this Aspergers or hearing loss problem influences the lack of offers? I have been applying several applications since July 2013 and still nothing since.

So I started volunteering with Australian Youth Climate Coalition, Australian Seabird Rescue, Greens Party and that to get skills and that. However, still doesn't make any difference.

Its causing stress by losing a lot of money working at a dead end like cafe job whilst waiting for the actual job what I wanted to do for my career. Its terribly frustrating and being forced to do things that I don't like.

Anyone know what is wrong here?

A lot of us are in that boat. I am simply attempting to gain foothold in any of the jobs that could bring some kind of experience. My current job is just money, no real challenge. The uneducated aggressive people at my job does not help matters.

I just continue to send out applications and eventually there are usually some opportunities. But I am not wasting time and jumping full into entrepreneurship opportunities because that is what I really want to do and I know that success in the entrepreneur side of my careers are much more enjoyable than me being in any of the jobs out there.

I am currently running a business with one of my degrees and love to charter my own ways. No job has ever been able to compete with that.

I had the same problem 18 years ago and that was when the economy was supposedly good. Unfortunately it's not what you know, it's who you know. I really wanted to get a job on my own terms, based on what I was good at and had learned in college. Couldn't get a job in the field because I didn't have 20+ years experience or didn't know the right people. Couldn't get a minimum wage job because everybody said I was overqualified. Eventually I did what I hoped to avoid, which was getting a job with the people my dad worked with for 15 years in a local steel shop. From there I worked up to being in engineering, even though it is not the bigger money working for automotive or tool and die. But I guess it ended up working out, with the hundreds of thousands of job losses in both those fields I'd once again be an engineer overqualified to work a lesser job.

At least in my experience, I wouldn't even bring up the Aspergers card to employers. Yes it's technically illegal if they don't accommodate, but in reality anything goes and if they don't want to or don't like you they'll just do it. Or like Michigan where they have what they call "at will employment", they don't have to give a reason, they can just say "you're done" at any time. Likewise you can quit at any time for no reason. So even it you went through the legal hoops and got your job back, would you even want to? It's pretty much a given that they would make every day a living hell for you.

We working folk often wish Michigan benefits were more like those what made you "eat dirt". Because with the benefits here, you can use the system to get a better life than most working folk. I'm not making a false generalization, this is the way it is here. Those that don't work, can get cash assistance (that you go spend on whatever), propane filled, heat and electric paid. Don't bother paying the rent or mortgage since they can't evict them if they won't leave. Last I knew the going rate is $700 a month for food for a family of 5 plus they get free food from the pantries, were my family of 5 did it on like $200 a month at the same time. A vast majority of these people have 1 or 2 very nice late model cars or SUVs, premium satellite TV package with DVR, one or more big flat screen TVs, xbox, wii, or other high end gaming systems, high end smartphone and laptop. Despite the ridiculous food benefits, they are going out to eat all the time, and they never go without their beer and cigarettes. They claim disability but while some truly are disabled, most are not and could go out and work if they really wanted to, as they are out doing other things all the time. These are the people that employers want to fill positions with, instead of hiring someone like me who actually wanted to work. I'm not kidding. Compared to this, I don't have any of these things, but I was raised to work for what I have. A year ago I had a debilitating bloot clot for months and could hardly move at all, I still went to work and drove with my leg up on the dash and worked with my leg up on the desk. Even for my daughter I drove 700 miles on the weekend with my leg up on the dash. Sorry for the rant but it's not just me, ask any Michigan working person and they'll tell you the same thing and how fed up they are with the system. And we wonder why the state is so financially broke.

So anyway, looks like many others have experience with Austrailia, but from my experience here, you pretty much just have to know somebody first. Also I don't know what all you've tried, but my college engineering instructor always said the best job opportunities were the ones not advertised. So I'd go around door to door asking about positions and putting in resumes. Of course it didn't pay off because I didn't know anybody, but with your volunteering experience it might give you an edge. Especially if you've worked with any professionals in the process that have seen your work and would put in a good word for you.

Have studied Bachelor of Environmental Science and done internships and volunteering in environmental, wildlife, natural resources management and sustainability fields.

I am underemployed since graduated at end of 2012, and recently started working at a local deli cafe because I need money. Since last year I have been applying several interested environmental jobs across the east coast of Australia in range between entry level/graduate to middle class. I am yet get any interviews!!

The employment agency that offers support to disability people has helped me to write a professional cover letter, resume and references for each job applications. Yet still, professionally, no offer of employment nor interview relating to my University's degree.

Is this Aspergers or hearing loss problem influences the lack of offers? I have been applying several applications since July 2013 and still nothing since.

So I started volunteering with Australian Youth Climate Coalition, Australian Seabird Rescue, Greens Party and that to get skills and that. However, still doesn't make any difference.

Its causing stress by losing a lot of money working at a dead end like cafe job whilst waiting for the actual job what I wanted to do for my career. Its terribly frustrating and being forced to do things that I don't like.

Employers look for you online and find out your disabled and then pass over your application. it's one reason why they use agencies to find candidates and provide short lists that exclude certain people. You need to be very lucky to get employed when they know you are autistic. They don't want to get sued if they sack you later!

80% of so of those with a diagnosis for Asperger's do not work and at least half of those are looking, it's very depressing. You need a contact like an ex college friend of some sort of way in. I was lucky in my youth but recently I've lost two jobs in quick succession - all due to discrimination in my view.

In the United States there is an Economic Depression that started in 1999 and will be twice the size and time of the 1930s depression. This Depression does not affect every worker but as stated by Yahoo Video news may 2009 "78% of jobs lost are men's." With kindness and respect Judge, imo the best thing a job seeker can do is learn the game of how to get a job.

All the best,

The global economy continues to struggle to emerge from a recession on a scale not seen in most of our lifetimes. IMO that would remain at the top of most anyone's "list" before honestly considering one's personal merits and faults relative to finding work. This remains a brutal economy which transcends the most frustrated, bright and capable Aspie, as much as the most frustrated, bright and capable Neurotypical.

Your best card in this awful game is patience. I went through a similar situation when I graduated college....went directly from high hopes to a dismal economy. All I could do is to wait it out...and eventually it got better.

It's all about networking, learning the game of how to get a job and of course, having chosen a major where there is more work opportunity. However those who are unique, have connections/large family, market themselves better etc will have a better chance. Best of luck!

And I will try to remember not to argue with you about anything@! As I find your logic sound and wise. That's it for me, have a good night and great day tomorrow.

LOL....oh I wouldn't argue with you on that subject....believe me! ;)

And I will try to remember not to argue with you about anything@! As I find your logic sound and wise. That's it for me, have a good night and great day tomorrow.

Naww....I'm open to a good debate among friends....not arguments with adversaries. Night friend. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom