• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just joined

Dadwith2Autisticsons

V.I.P Member
Hi, my name is David. I am a father of two amazing young Autistic children. Yes, they have challenges, but I see all the great things about them, with their special character traits and abilities. Each day I focus on appreciating them and enjoying my time with them.

Life was not always this way. I grew up in a very stressful and traumatic environment, and I became silent because of severe social anxiety. Going to school was tough, yet somehow I managed to get a high school and university degree without talking.

This was the foundation of my strength, desire to help others, write, and for my caring qualities. It's nice to have these forums that care about bringing together those who can relate to Autism and Aspergers, and creating a positive and healthy environment to support these special people!

David

upload_2017-5-21_11-13-45.png

Hi Buzzerfly and Crossbreed. Thank You for the welcome. In answer to Buzzerfly, we have two young Autistic sons, one who is high functioning and 7 years old. The other 5 years old and nonverbal. Thank You for your book link, too.

In reply to Crossbreed, I never knew that. Thanks for that information. Our oldest son loves Math, too. I am not sure if he will study mathematics when he is older, too, but whatever he chooses in life I will be fine with. He loves numbers, details and logical things.

Welcome, David!

Bless you for caring. Hang out here long enough and you'll hear tons of horror stories about Aspie-parent relationships growing up. I find your story inspiring; whenever someone says they see the same beauty in autism that I do it reminds me that I'm not the only one seeing it, and I'm happy for that, happy for you.

Oh, and thank you for not being a martyr about it. ASD parent martyrdom is not only obnoxious but it detracts from the life of the child and their sense of worth growing up believing they're nothing but a burden on their parents. Happily, your intentions do not seem at all self-centered, and your sons will reap the benefits of you spending your time understanding them instead of ignoring them while you wax your Cross. Martyrs, ugh.

But yeah, I feel safe speaking for everyone when I say that we're happy to have you here. Hope to see you posting around!

-David also :D

Thanks David for your kind words, warm welcome, and your great insight. Part of the reason I joined besides learning more about Autism and Aspergers Syndrome, and supporting these special persons, was to show that there are caregivers and persons out there that can love, appreciate, and respect those on the Spectrum, and those with any condition for that matter.

Unfortunately, there will be other caregivers that want to be less than positive or who want to complain too much, or be some victim, so perhaps if some of these persons see other persons or caregivers like you and I, and so many others too that can see the great side to things, which are genuine feelings and thoughts we have, maybe this will change up some others' perspectives.

My wife and I are the optimistic and caring types and focus on the details and little things that are wonderful, and we chose to daily homeschool our two Autistic sons and to individualize plans based on their unique abilities, talents, and learning styles,p. And for our specific situation, we feel we offer more, and have happier children as we let them for the most part be themselves. By loving them for who they are, and focusing on our efforts and not results, that is our formula.

The medical community and other societal systems and persons we feel often try to look at the negatives of things, and they focus on wanting big change and persons with conditions to fit in, and they may put too much pressure on those on the Spectrum to act this or that way, or to be like the rest. Less focus is on understanding, accepting, appreciating and respecting those with an Autism Spectrum condition.

Thanks David for posting. We appreciate your helpful words.

David

Thanks David for your kind words, warm welcome, and your great insight. Part of the reason I joined besides learning more about Autism and Aspergers Syndrome, and supporting these special persons, was to show that there are caregivers and persons out there that can love, appreciate, and respect those on the Spectrum, and those with any condition for that matter.

Unfortunately, there will be other caregivers that want to be less than positive or who want to complain too much, or be some victim, so perhaps if some of these persons see other persons or caregivers like you and I, and so many others too that can see the great side to things, which are genuine feelings and thoughts we have, maybe this will change up some others' perspectives.

My wife and I are the optimistic and caring types and focus on the details and little things that are wonderful, and we chose to daily homeschool our two Autistic sons and to individualize plans based on their unique abilities, talents, and learning styles,p. And for our specific situation, we feel we offer more, and have happier children as we let them for the most part be themselves. By loving them for who they are, and focusing on our efforts and not results, that is our formula.

The medical community and other societal systems and persons we feel often try to look at the negatives of things, and they focus on wanting big change and persons with conditions to fit in, and they may put too much pressure on those on the Spectrum to act this or that way, or to be like the rest. Less focus is on understanding, accepting, appreciating and respecting those with an Autism Spectrum condition.

Thanks David for posting. We appreciate your helpful words.

David

This was wonderfully written and your compassion shines through.
Your sons are lucky to have understanding parents who seek to nourish their gifts and be a positive influence in their lives.
Your own experiences no doubt play a large part and I commend you for your own efforts. Your unique perspective offers insight where others may not have looked, so keep posting!

New Threads

Top Bottom