• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Job Interview, Should I Tell I'm Autistic?

On top of that I'm openly gay and as you all know there are no protections in most states for LGBT people. So I have that to deal with, on top of being autistic. The job I went for last week I don't think went very well, I did my best but I just didn't click with the interviewer she seemed less than impressed to put it mildly. I went the other day for a job for a CSA call-center position, my thinking was that since it would all be over the telephone I could handle it. I took the assessments and needless to say that never goes well. I am a very visual person, with a terrible short-term memory. If a bunch of stuff comes at me through the ears, at once, I can't remember it. No way. Unless I have it written down.
So that didn't go well.

I am too, It's like being in a division of a division of society! few people I've met or spoken to are both. Anyway, I digress.. I was meaning to say that I don't think it's ever hindered me in getting a job not here in the UK at least.

The nice thing I've found is in my role people come to me for answers to problems, because they want something from us (the business) they tend to be very accepting of whoever or whatever you are.

Chin up - it's hard but worthwhile..

Some places will pride themselves on their level of diversity (universities, for instance). But I have been told that even in the context of applying for a position as professor at a university, mentioning autism would be read as a bid to get undue special treatment.

It's frustrating to me because it seems very hypocritical for organizations that boast about the diversity of their staff to then maintain ableist hiring practices. I don't think that autism disclosure is just about accommodation. As with any kind of diversity there is a value in listening to the voices of minorities, understanding their self-identifications, and considering their viewpoints that differ from the norm. One thing that I have always loved about academia is the emphasis upon considering alternative viewpoints and understandings. So many academics spend their careers writing about the identities of minority groups and yet autistics in academia must hide their own identifies for fear of reprisal. It is sadly ironic.

The only time I share anything like that with a coworker/employer is when it comes up in conversation. IE, when that coworker admits to having something that is similarly misunderstood by the general populace, thus making my admission more of an act of solidarity and understanding.

Every job I ever had, dragged me out of my comfort zone. It was difficult for me to just be somewhere unfamiliar to do something I didn't like. I often just felt like telling my bosses about my autism because I wanted them to understand why I looked so nervous and uneasy. Sadly, work is not the place for compassion and help. I realized being honest about my Aspergers in job interviews often led to prejudices. :(

No, I wouldn't disclose. There are too many negative misconceptions about what AS actually is which will prejudice people against you. At an interview you can talk about your Aspie strengths and weaknesses in a positive way without mentioning you have AS.

- What are your strengths?
- I have a good eye for detail.

- What are your weaknesses?
- Because I have a good eye for detail, I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist.

I wouldn't mention it, like I said in a recent similar thread on here, apart from medical professionals and people who NEED to know about AS, not many people have heard or it and even if they have they're possibly a bit scared of it, so if you're in the application stage of getting a job, and you declare AS on the application form, there's a very good chance your form will get binned without even being acknowledged! Well that's been my experience anyway.

i personally think it depends on the person, and the job.

i am LFA if you want to use a stereotypical position on the spectrum and i dont need to mention labels to be recognised as different/disabled, i have had one formal interview for a voluntary position at a special school with the head teacher and my support staff had told them all about how i came from very severe autism and very severe challenging behavior to someone who lives in their own flat and cares for kids and animals profoundly.

he actually wanted to know my experiences with my autism and intellectual disability because its how i would relate to the kids at school,he was very positive but also upset at my experiences at school.

there was another lady at the interview and she absolutely sucked, i would have hated her as my teacher,she didnt ask any questions like me and i could tell she was only wanting the position so she could add it to her CV,when the head teacher took us around all the classes [no children in them,just teachers] i was positive with the teachers and they asked me questions about my autism and were very understanding and positive to,some of them said they were looking forward to working with me.

the head teacher spent a lot of time with me and really gave a damn about the kids, he gave me a job working in the PE lessons and i was so pleased with myself as i had never been offered a job before apart from breeding chickens for one woman.

New Threads

Top Bottom