• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Job Interview, Should I Tell I'm Autistic?

Robby

So I have an interview coming up & now that I'm diagnosed, wondering about something. The position is admin assistant at a university campus. I'm wondering, should I tell the interviewer I have mild autism? But then proceed to tell about how & why it can be a good thing for them? Like my attention to details, my organization skills, my neatness, my punctuality, remembering facts, etc? Just being honest with them? I've seen some places say they wouldn't tell, but since my work history is so limited, & since I'm betting that since this position is through the temporary employment program at the university, which one would think would make them more open-minded, maybe it's best to tell my interviewer I have mild autism but tell her the good things about it. Or would you suggest not telling? Not sure what I should do. Aren't they required to make accomodations for it under the ADA? So why would telling it be a bad thing. As I said I am a good interviewer, & I can tell her about the good aspects of it, & while there are areas I have problems with like short term memory and major multi-tasking, I do other things really well. So not sure how to approach it during the interview.

There's no real advantage there. You can say all of those positives about yourself without attributing them to autism.
If you end up needing reasonable accommodations, you can absolutely address that after hiring. Realistically, there is no ADA protection for someone before they are hired.

In practice anyone can choose to not hire an individual for pretty much any reason. I do not disclose prior to being hired and actually specifically recommend against it in most interview situations. Honestly, not much of it has to do with what a hiring manager thinks of a person with autism- it can have a lot to do with what they might perceive as potential complications [it doesn't mean they are right].

So if you want them to consider you for a position on what you have to bring to the job and not what they might see as possible [but unproven] complications, you don't disclose unless you need to after you have the job.

It's not just people who may need accommodations that do that.
It is typical practice to just present what supports your ability to do the job in the clearest manner possible.

Great advice, thanks it helped! I think I'll just do the best I can & not tell them in the interview process.. if hopefully they hire me then down the road I can tell them about it. Now I'm wondering at what step after the hiring (assuming it works out) would I tell them? I mean because I feel I would need certain accomodations to do my best work (like needing to write things down, not having too much to do at once), things like that.

I agree with SignOfLazarus.I think informing anybody is all about assessing the potential risk/reward.

I succeeded at many interviews in my working life without informing anybody I was AS (Because I didn't know myself :)). I only ever had problems with people outside the I.T. department so I guess I was lucky.

I agree with SignofLazarus that you should not disclose your autism. There is nothing to be gained and the opportunity can be wasted by sharing that information. When a firm conducts an in-person interview there are usually several objectives. These can be summarized into two categories; why should I hire this person and why should I not hire this person.

As a plant manager I have interviewed countless candidates. From my experience, everyone, including myself, have an unconscious multiplier for negative factors.

Prior to my learning that I am autistic, my knowledge of autism was miniscule and also negative.

I think I would keep that information to myself as well.

I too had many employees over the years. I based hiring on abilities and later on compensated people who showed me good performance. I was another person who did not know about autism,yet became a star everywhere I was ever hired,based on performance,not my neurological makeup.

I have to agree with what everyone else has posted. In a job interview you don't want to present anything that might be perceived as a weakness. This can feel dishonest and awkward (at least it does for me) but that is the game we have to play to find employment.

As you settle into your work environment you can discuss accommodations, but that doesn't mean you have to disclose your diagnosis. I have no diagnosis to disclose, and yet my coworkers have an understanding that I need certain reminders and can't take in too much information at once. Ultimately, everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Working as an effective team means knowing how to compensate for those weaknesses to bring out the strengths.

Thanks everyone. It didn't come up during the interview. I think it went pretty well. The thing that might get me is work experience but I did my best. It's always a crapshoot interviewing. I'd say it went as well as it could have gone. The place was rather hectic and busy which is a trigger for me as far as my sensitivities. NT's truly have no idea the small struggles we go through even as somthing as small as finding a parking spot or seeing a lot of people in the lobby is a bit much! If this one doesn't work out, I'm still pursuing other areas & have been submitting applications like crazy. And I have another interview in a couple days. So the name of the game is persistence I think.

I'm going to keep at it, last year I went on tons of interviews, and about 4/6 interviews I went on got me offers. But I could never bring myself to actually start work because then my fears & hangups would hit me, & I'd start pysching myself out. But now that I've had a but of therapy & feel I'm ready to actually try working an actual job, I'm doing the interview/application process again & this time when I get an offer, I'm definitely going to take it. The one I interviewed for today may not work out, but I have several eggs in my basket & am just keeping at it.

It's a reasonable question of concern that I've pondered with my son. I imagine response will differ with each individual, depending upon a variety of factors. Initially, I leaned towards discussing ASD be a use we had grown used to doing this I younger years to help I structure better understand teaching strategies. A level of comfort needs to exist when speaking of personal issues as well as the degree Autism affects functioning; for instance, my son is high-functioning, auditory processing is his weak spot so we'd ask teachers to be mindful that repetition, redirection, rephrasing was helpful. However, one day - upon advice of a guidance counselor who offered: As an employer, who would I hire, the person who lists CAPD or Autism on - an application form vs another applicant without... I may have no clue what the medical terms mean or have a prejudiced ill pre-conceived notion so would likely avoid the hassle. Perhaps allow opportunity to be a learning experience; let nature take its course and if difficulties arise on the job, the person can instead nonchalantly explain, 'Can you repeat those directions? Sometimes I don't hear so well.' This way, the employer understands certain assistance in an area may be needed, but it isn't a big deal. We tried this and it has worked out well. Best wishes, it's scary to begin in the work force, with or without ASD, but try and be positive.

Sadly so few people are as accepting as employment law suggests they should be. My view on this (as I like to make my employer aware of things like this) is - don't give them any reason to dislike or misunderstand you.

By all means, I'm an advocate of telling your employer (where possible) as I think it creates understanding and eases pressure. With an interview my understanding of it is to sell yourself at your best points, you could even cite some of traits you have without mentioning ASD? Best of both worlds.

Just my view... best of luck on whatever decision you make!

I let mine know awhile after I got hired, mostly cause I almost melted down on an irate customer that I got trapped at the front counter with. It was then that I let them know I was Aspie. They have been very accepting and they make sure I feel safe and am left alone when overwhelmed.

On top of that I'm openly gay and as you all know there are no protections in most states for LGBT people. So I have that to deal with, on top of being autistic. The job I went for last week I don't think went very well, I did my best but I just didn't click with the interviewer she seemed less than impressed to put it mildly. I went the other day for a job for a CSA call-center position, my thinking was that since it would all be over the telephone I could handle it. I took the assessments and needless to say that never goes well. I am a very visual person, with a terrible short-term memory. If a bunch of stuff comes at me through the ears, at once, I can't remember it. No way. Unless I have it written down.
So that didn't go well.

So I'm not sure what's left. I've applied for a couple of library page positions. I mean I know the things I'm good at and what I'm not good at but problem is most jobs don'f fit that. So what to do?

People just have no idea what being autistic is like, especially high-functioning. Because then everyone expects you to be able to do stuff but nobody knows what goes on in my head. The extreme sensitivities I have, the low tolerance for ****. I do have a few things I can do really really well, better than other people. But the people skills and problems with short term memory & processing information is very very hard for me.

I don't know what I'm going to do but I'm so tired of being out of work. I just don't know where to turn. I am supposed to be going to a Vocational Rehab place for people with disabilities in a week or so. I had hoped to find something on my own first. Oh well. The guy there assured me that he would tolerate no harassment or smart comments about my sexual orientation but I'm always leery of going to any class or group meeting with people I don't know, given what happened to me in high school with the bullying.

New Threads

Top Bottom