• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is negative attitude normal?

Yes, I've been told on numerous occasions by my family that my thinking is too negative - to which my usual reply is "I'm not being negative, just realistic" and that's the way it is, reality isn't always so rosy as people would like it to be, and it's up to them to deal with this reality, it's not up to me to make them feel better by painting a false picture of it. I'm also accused of rigid thinking. Negative and rigid thinking aren't a good combination, because it's then all to easy not to see the positive side, or find the motivation to change things for the better, and then you slide into a pit of depression. For me, one of the worst things a person can say to me is "cheer up, it may never happen." Grrrrr!

If someone asks me how my weekend or day is, then I answer honestly, however my day may have been, because I can't fake a feeling that I don't have, or false optimism. I say things how they are - but that doesn't mean that I'm negative all the time. I don't only have bad experiences or negative feelings. My day may really have been fantastic, and if it was, I will say so.

New Threads

Top Bottom