• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introduction New member Jules Late diagnosed and still finding my way.

Hi my main activity since diagnosis has been with Autistic Radio. I take part in discussions every Sunday live on air and sometimes lead interviews with autistic people and autism professionals to make podcasts. I am 58 married; to an autistic woman with a grown up autistic daughter. I don`t use social media like twitter or facebook because it feels aggressive and I am afraid of getting into arguments with people who impose their version of autism as the "gold standard".

I would like to meet people who have an interest in podcasting radio and editing. Since finding out about autism and identifying myself as autistic prior to diagnosis it has been important to me to challenge the negative perceptions portrayed about us by offering positive alternatives to the stereotypes. I like gentle open discussions and arguments bore me. Recently I made a presentation at the international conference Ocalicon to propose better ways for Autism professionals to get to know us better in a fair way through an audio model and I want to continue working with open minded professionals more often in the future. I would love to hear from anyone else who has interests in advocating for change in the world of autism through conversations that are broadcast and I often have questions that other autistic people give me guidance with.

Cheers Jules

1706111890830.png

Welcome. I'm mostly text based, but I understand that there are of course many people who are more inclined to audio and/or video so I think you have an interesting niche there.

Hi my main activity since diagnosis has been with Autistic Radio. I take part in discussions every Sunday live on air and sometimes lead interviews with autistic people and autism professionals to make podcasts. I am 58 married; to an autistic woman with a grown up autistic daughter. I don`t use social media like twitter or facebook because it feels aggressive and I am afraid of getting into arguments with people who impose their version of autism as the "gold standard".

I would like to meet people who have an interest in podcasting radio and editing. Since finding out about autism and identifying myself as autistic prior to diagnosis it has been important to me to challenge the negative perceptions portrayed about us by offering positive alternatives to the stereotypes. I like gentle open discussions and arguments bore me. Recently I made a presentation at the international conference Ocalicon to propose better ways for Autism professionals to get to know us better in a fair way through an audio model and I want to continue working with open minded professionals more often in the future. I would love to hear from anyone else who has interests in advocating for change in the world of autism through conversations that are broadcast and I often have questions that other autistic people give me guidance with.

Cheers Jules
That sounds great. Warm friendly discussions are a very welcome change of pace. I've been very much attempting to unlearn the tendency to view life as a logic competition. My favorite philosopher served as an illustration of how useless debate or even rhetoric is for reaching strangers. You have to have a lot of mutual respect in place already to argue with someone fruitfully.

Things like friendship, kindness, and understanding are so much better. I think autism is rather fascinating because it's not just one condition. It's a garden of unique and interesting people to reach out to and find common ground with, and it's good to have enough humility and vulnerability to admit that you're an odd one by nature, and you want to reconcile your oddness with others and turn it into intimacy.

I'm not diagnosed, but I see heaps of characteristics in common, and ultimately, it's a question of whether you relate. I feel like I do.

That sounds great. Warm friendly discussions are a very welcome change of pace. I've been very much attempting to unlearn the tendency to view life as a logic competition. My favorite philosopher served as an illustration of how useless debate or even rhetoric is for reaching strangers. You have to have a lot of mutual respect in place already to argue with someone fruitfully.

Things like friendship, kindness, and understanding are so much better. I think autism is rather fascinating because it's not just one condition. It's a garden of unique and interesting people to reach out to and find common ground with, and it's good to have enough humility and vulnerability to admit that you're an odd one by nature, and you want to reconcile your oddness with others and turn it into intimacy.

I'm not diagnosed, but I see heaps of characteristics in common, and ultimately, it's a question of whether you relate. I feel like I do.
I am impressed by your words:

Wise with a touch of poetry. The change of pace as you describe it for me is very necessary. The long games of pedantry and point scoring are the default for so many people. As usual in autism the breadth of individual experience belies the stereotypes. I am finding more and more that while many autistic people have been backed into the corner of aggressive debates many others pride themselves on the ability to see a wide range of positions simultaneously in a very open minded way. I like to think the latter is more natural anf the former a reaction to exclusion and social stigmas.

Cheers Jules
Welcome

New Threads

Top Bottom