• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Insight, guidance, HELP in (AS?) relationship needed

JayJamesJay

I fell in love with a woman I (today) strongly believe to have Asperger's and would love to hear peoples thoughts. Sorry this is so long.

I met an amazing woman. She glows. By appearance she didn't seem to have a worry in the world. She is unusually attractive, 55 (appearing 40), Caucasian natural style and not overdone at all. Just naturally attractive, flowing (me 45 mixed race)... We had been seeing each other on the bus, in our neighborhood - in the world - and all the while we smiled, flirted and waved hello acknowledging each-other - invitingly. This happened over the course of about 7-8 months. It took me some time. I'm a little slow and shy. Old fashioned type. I finally asked her to dinner and she said yes. We had dinner.

We were hot and heavy-ish from the beginning. Close and there 'seemed' an ease, comfort and kind of warmth. We began seeing each other everyday (evenings/nights mostly as we both work days). Hanging out at her place or mine, home cooked dinner, t.v. movies - quiet time. Over the 2yrs - 1000's of hours together, 100's of meals, some traveling, sharing the stories of our lives, making new ones. Sexual intimacy was although short lived, it seemed a bit unnatural for her - only initiated by me - kind of mechanical. She said after 2 months that she was just not ready for a relationship at that level of intimacy. She was seeing a therapist, that she wasn't feeling the sexual "energy", though, she reported taking a small dose of ativan. She said she would talk/work with her therapist and lessen cease the dose (I dont know if she ever did). Intimacy never resumed for the duration of the 2yr relationship. At one point that first year she'd rented a AirB&B in the Berkshires as a surprise, single bed, still intimacy (of any kind) never resumed. Of course there were many occasions and opportunities - but no.

Before us, she left a tough 23yr (abusive she reported) marriage. She said she had been with other men before me in the ensuing 5-6 yrs. In the divorce, she agreed to leaving her mid teen children with the (abusive?) husband in the home. She moved in with her sister on our street. She agreed to paying alimony and child support for years. She explained struggling with anxiety and depression. Had what she described as a "breakdown" that lasted about 4 months (no work, debilitating, worrisome) which ended about 6 months before us starting our relationship. Her siblings struggle. One died young living a hard and dysfunctional life. The other living in the south struggling with alcoholism and dysfunction. Sister - who I've met - has emotional health thats kinda questionable. She reported struggling in school, with friendships and socially as a child and young woman. BUT appeared only bright and happy with me but had NO friends that I've ever met.

I'm a supportive type, she seemed most only happy and engaging -ever- and we all have our STUFF. I was happy and enjoying her - and I thought her, me. She showed me a gentile, quieter - danced to the beat of her own drum - self and seemed to really want nothing more than what she/we had, in a small circle, and I loved that. I was although noticing some things but nothing I felt at all to be a deal breaker. She was warm-ish, caring-ish and emotional-ish with me. But, it seemed deeper conversations about the nature of our relationship (what "us" meant), or in general, were lacking. Also, deeper inquiry into who I was was lacking,,, it seemed to me. I never met her children, her friends, co-workers (shes been working for 30yrs in arguably one of the globes most powerful law firms) and family (I did meet her sister and as she lived in the house). We never shared a Thanksgiving or X-Mas together. She spent these with family - I was never invited - she understood I had no family in NYC me being from Massachusetts and still. There were idiosyncrasies growing.

Suddenly, but slowly over time, she started making distance in our relationship. I didn't ask questions, push or pressure. We NEVER argued. Never even a disagreement to speak of. Again, our time together was always warm, easy and seemed welcomed. But, very slowly over the months time together dwindled to less. We warmly continued our regular commute into work, texted everyday morning noon and night throughout. Over 5 of those months I was in school in the evenings which cut into our together time. Then, during the 2 months of the summer everything but the texting and commuting into work together ended with an occasional evening night together. Noticeably less. Still, open and warm. Then, 5 days before what happened in the next paragraph - the commute ended while the texting daily continued - at least. The last time I was at her place "normally" I made peach cobbler for the whole house. Nothing off, really.

Then, 5 days later I was at work and received a text. She "accidentally" told me - that - she had "reconnected" with someone she already knew, that it was not the person she was with before me and that the conversations was NOT open to discussion. I was floored. From that moment on our relationship has been adversarial, cruel, brutal with ZERO emotional generosity. Zero. She agreed to one 15min dear John discussion explaining that she was not physically and sexually attracted to me (I'm 6.3, 210, fit, healthy and have been told attractive - engaged in life and a productive man) and that she needed intimacy? The conversations and her presentation was strangely tense, with an underlying agitation that I had never seen, tones that I had never heard, with lines of thinking that didn't seem like her - AT ALL. She said that I should have know this was coming. That she had basically been tolerating me all this time, that I was annoying and that she was uncomfortable around me and then - she was/is GONE... Its been 90 days. I received a few spotty one word texts in response to mine to her but she offered nothing. I have heard nothing from her in 60+ days and I am broken in half!!!! Crushed, confused and struggling with a new home grown crippling depression. I am angry.

Of course there is a lot of nuance that I couldn't capture here. But there is lots of lovely nuance and puzzling flags that I guess I ignored. I am so so so so confused.

Any clarity, insight, support HELP would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I don't get a strong or even moderate sense the woman has ASD, from the little available. Anyway, it does not seem it would matter either way in this situation. What you describe is a rather hard break, and I would not contact her any more. Move on, and hope for a better future.

no (zero) friends or visitors.
no (zero) sexual appetite for 2 yrs.
an inability to have or resisting civil fair emotional conversation during end of OR during relationship.
divorce where children stayed with (abusive?) husband.
hated school and childhood years.
never said or voiced clear feelings or concerns (or tried to approach them) about sexual or physical attraction towards me,,, with me.
4 month meltdown.
family history.
ongoing (for years) therapy, meds, with anxiety and depression Dx.
aversion to bright lights and loud noises and social situations.
cold text with zero emotional generosity at the end informing of being with another person.
loner, isolate-r - and happier that way...

I could continue...

so - advise, suggestions and insight - is just leave her alone?

Last edited:
no (zero) friends or visitors.
an inability to have or resisting civil fair emotional conversation during end of OR during relationship.
divorce where children stayed with (abusive?) husband.
hated school and childhood years.
never said or voiced clear feelings or concerns (or tried to approach them) about sexual or physical attraction towards me,,, with me.
4 month meltdown.
family history.
ongoing (for years) therapy, meds, with anxiety and depression Dx.
aversion to bright lights and loud noises and social situations.
cold text with zero emotional generosity at the end informing of being with another person.
loner, isolate-r - and happier that way...

I could continue...

From what you have described she MAY have ASD but regardless she clearly doesn't want to continue the relationship. Don't try to make this about her POSSIBLE condition. I understand you're hurt and confused but you may never completely understand what was going on for her. In my opinion the fact that the relationship was sexual for only a few weeks and then not indicates she liked you but the physical side wasn't working for her.
It appears you were much more emotionally involved than she was but you weren't willing to pick up the clues she was giving you that it wasn't the same for her.
Please don't blame ASD. This is just a relationship that didn't work out. I'm sorry you're upset but you have to let it go.

I appreciate that Fitzo. Thank you. It seems I have no choice but to let it go. That's whats happening. At the same time, wise folks say good things are worth fighting for, figuring out, working on.

I was hoping for some insights from an experienced group that might have some clues into what she may be thinking. She didn't seem able to express it. Even at the end. I think that what she offered is an oversimplification. It could be Im either missing something, came to the wrong place (AF) or - both. Its all good. Ill take down the post...

Thank you.

I appreciate that Fitzo. Thank you. It seems I have no choice but to let it go. That's whats happening. At the same time, wise folks say good things are worth fighting for, figuring out, working on.

I was hoping for some insights from an experienced group that might have some clues into what she may be thinking. She didn't seem able to express it. Even at the end. I think that what she offered is an oversimplification. It could be Im either missing something, came to the wrong place (AF) or - both. Its all good. Ill take down the post...

Thank you.
I thought I was giving you some insights. She liked you. She wasn't into you physically. She regarded it as a friendship not a relationship.
You weren't willing to see that for two years, when she felt she was making it clear by her actions, or lack there of.
She was obviously trying to extricate herself for at least a couple of months but you were still refusing to accept that.
When you wouldn't let go she spelled it out in no uncertain terms, which she probably felt very uncomfortable doing, but you left her no choice.
And you are STILL not accepting it. It's over. Move on.
There is no going back because there never was the relationship you have manufactured in your head. Her biggest mistake was probably trying not to hurt you and letting you down gently. And maybe if she doesn't have many friends she didn't want to lose another one. Until you left her no choice. Sorry it's not what you want to hear!

Plenty of us on the spectrum do have a "sexual appetite".

Yes.

She agreed to one 15min dear John discussion explaining that she was not physically and sexually attracted to me (I'm 6.3, 210, fit, healthy and have been told attractive - engaged in life and a productive man )

She has told you this, which you seem to be unable to accept as you see yourself as someone she should find attractive. Even if you are attractive, it does not mean that every woman will think so.

jeeeeze. i didn't come here to argue - with all due respect...

i think there are a lot of things pointing to a LOT of other things going on here. I guess folks just think its as simple as that. nothing in life is - as simple. people are complicated. relationships are complicated. life is complicated. its why she/we obviously were in the strange place I tried to describe to the best of my ability - for 2 yrs. its obvious, she didn't have to wait two years to be clear, she wasn't - neither was I.

ps. I meant "ZERO appetite" with me. Or she did have, but struggled because of the emotional complexity that comes with add emotions of relationship. I've heard SOME people with AS struggle with intimacy especially when there are complex emotions involved. No?

jeeeeze. i didn't come here to argue - with all due respect...

Nobody is arguing with you. If you didn't want blunt replies, then maybe a forum full of Autistics isn't the right place to post.

I've heard SOME people with AS struggle with intimacy especially when there are complex emotions involved. No?

Yes, some do. However, you stated her lack of desire for sex as if it pointed to ASD. Not everyone on the spectrum has issues having intimate relationships.

ps. I meant "ZERO appetite" with me.

Maybe because she isn't attracted to you, as she said.

hmm. i like blunt. but i also like thoughtful. you know, the wisdom that comes when considering the many things that need be considered when looking at complex/complicated happening... both are possible... blunt & thoughtful. both. this is feeling yucky,,, sorry.

yes. she is gone. yes. there is nothing i can (or maybe even want) to do about that. yes. it hurts. yes. i was foolishly asking people who I thought might have some insight into her state of mind. her reasoning. something to offer beyond what she flatly, cruelly and brutally said and did... peace :)

in 2yrs, i had never MET that person before that moment of TXT.

i was foolishly asking people who I thought might have some insight into her state of mind. her reasoning.

Just because two people share the same neurology, doesn't mean they share the same thoughts. We can't give you any real insights into her mind or thinking just because we are on the spectrum and you suspect she might be. Two people on the spectrum can think and act in wildly different ways in the exact same situation. The only way to truly know what she thinks would be to ask her.

hmm. me. i can guess, imply, use my experience and apply the wisdom that comes with being in the world, after dealing with the thousands of people, to have a sense of what someone MIGHT have been feeling, thinking, motivated by or wanting - when they do ANY NUMBER of things. i can. rarely, very rarely, do people do the things they do for the reasons that they state NT, AS - what have you.

wait - i thought thats was what this forum was kinda here for? no? a place to process things. am i violating,,, missing something, or something?.

Jay. You are hurt and disappointed. You want to blame something. ASD seemed like a good thing to blame this on.
NO sorry.
Just FYI I have always had a very healthy sexual appetite. Have I met people I liked and had a sexual relationship with only to realise I really wasn't into that person in that way? Yes. Several times.
This is NOT about ASD. This is about someone choosing to believe something that was NEVER true. Surely you must have realized after nearly two years of no sex that it just wasn't happening?
You are clutching at straws!
If you came here to find out ASD is to blame it's NOT going to happen! For your own sake and also for the woman involved move on!

Last edited:
To blame ASD??? I never said that...

That maybe ASD is/was involved. Or maybe something else even....

What's going on here?

I'm doing the best I can. I have left her alone. Thanks for the understanding :)
I'm doing the best I can. I have left her alone. Thanks for the understanding :)

Sarcasm? Your snarky reply is ironic because I answered as I did precisely because I DO understand. She avoids contact with you, tells you its over and she is in another relationship. Your only option that is not disrespectful, pitiful, creepy or downright illegal is to do as I advised. To say nothing of her new beau assaulting you if you continue to contact her. In addition, my advice is the best thing for your well being. You're welcome (no sarcasm).

That was cold. I am not sure that is Aspie as much as something else. I am sorry you had to go thru that. I know how it feels, so I can't say it will be OK. Mine never really healed. Again, I am so sorry she did that to you . It really sounds more borderline than Aspie, just chucking you to the curb like that. If I ever did that, I would feel terrible and explain everything in a kind and loving manner. Just weird!!

@JayJamesJay What you experienced was horrible; and it reminds me that I might have caused pain like that in the past too.

I am ashamed to say that when I was in my twenties I had two romantic relationships only because I didn’t want to be alone. Maybe that’s the reason your ex had a relationship with you.

I thought they were very nice guys, but when I realized that I was more attracted to somebody else, I broke the relationships. In those two relationships (one was for two years, the other one for a year and a half) the guys were excellent men (odd enough, I was also older than them, I guess because I’ve always looked younger).

Odd enough too, I dreamed of one of them last night and it was a very happy dream. We were friends, we were having a good time, and he was not mad at me anymore.

Your exgirlfriend is not going to forget about you. Like in my dream, maybe you will appear in her dreams in the future. She will remember you with kindness.

But that’s it. Cry, mourn her, and bury your relationship. What is left of it is the memories.

When you find yourself remembering her, try to remember the good stuff, be thankful for the experiences, and remember that the relationship is dead. Tell yourself that it is ok to move on and look for happiness somewhere else.

New Threads

Top Bottom