• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Inadequate Education.

SomeRandomAspie

Unspecified origin
Summer's almost over for me and since I'm 15 that means back school. I'll be a freshman this year and I'm in some of the most basic classes (algebra I honors, biology I honors, etc) but I know these classes will bore me. Last year all of my classes bored me because I knew almost everything they threw at me. I'm not trying to sound stuck up. TBH my grades last year averaged 94 because of my lack of work ethic. So A's and B's. I know I'll be bored this year too because I've been studying all summer just for fun. I mean I start off excited and the sharpest student in the class, then I gradually fade to just getting by. Should I just buckle down and stick it out? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Summer's almost over for me and since I'm 15 that means back school. I'll be a freshman this year and I'm in some of the most basic classes (algebra I honors, biology I honors, etc) but I know these classes will bore me. Last year all of my classes bored me because I knew almost everything they threw at me. I'm not trying to sound stuck up. TBH my grades last year averaged 94 because of my lack of work ethic. So A's and B's. I know I'll be bored this year too because I've been studying all summer just for fun. I mean I start off excited and the sharpest student in the class, then I gradually fade to just getting by. Should I just buckle down and stick it out? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Yes, stick it out! I felt the same in high school and got very unmotivated. My grades were pretty average because I didn't feel like studying for tests, which caused me a lot of trouble when I wanted to get into university. I hadn't considered that in high school, but some universities and some degrees require you to have a certain grade average. In my last year of high school I realized I wanted to go to med school, but by then it was too late to get my grades up to their requirements. I did get in eventually, but it took three years.

You could try asking the teachers for extra coursework, some schools have additional material for gifted students.

academically clever kids dont get supported very well,my aspie sister was the same,i dont just mean streaming and having low/mid/top sets-there should be proper advanced classes in all regular schools for people whose academics are very good just in the same way there are special needs classes,i know in the UK intellectually clever people can go to grammar schools which are more advanced,i think a lot of british people want to get rid of them as they see it as elitism but bright kids need better work than what regular mainstream schools can supply.

To get in the university I wanted at first, all I needed were Bs (we use a different, number-based scale, but I pretend to talk 'proportionally' here). For some time I was interested on getting As only, but it bored me easily, and I was quite bullied by nearly everyone at high school too, so I got really unmotivated.

During latest years, some friends on the internet and I, begun a hobby project. To success, my work on it was not only useful, but also a critical gear. It gave a whole new meaning to things like I never felt before, and my mood increased exponentially, which automatically improved my social skills, and so, to be honest, I looked less 'pathetic' and thus less "bulliable". Besides, because teachers/staff found out I was good with computers nor had issues with grades, they took me from the classroom and asked my help to remove their viruses or fix their issues, which was fun enough I have to say.
I didn't almost care for school anymore, but I looked for the university's requisites; I only studied for the minimum necessary, no more nor less. I only gave them what they wanted, "don't waste my time". My life was oriented towards the external project instead, I seen high school as a mere "job".

My time at high school turned A LOT less painful and tolerable than "should have been" otherwise. And no matter my mates' efforts or means, they just couldn't throw my mood down, which made them a little angry :p

Additional activities made the difference, in and outside school. There are, or should be, other options to look around. You don't need to just stay with what you have. And when you complete high school... your bullies won't even be capable to keep eye contact with you

Last edited:
Inadequate Education? Ya! I got an inadequate education because of all the [expletives deleted] BULLIES. Not only did I flunk school. But I've been traumatized by the experence. Just hearing the name school brings back nightmare. I own real estate and knowing that half of the property taxes I pay are going to the school district just makes me sick.

Sorry! I just had to vent.

I would ask about extra things I could do - can you take some community college level classes to get advanced knowledge and college credit? Can take on some independent projects to work on with the teacher - it could be especially interesting if you chose the subject. Can you land an internship at a local lab or some kind of research center - or some other kind of institution/center that deals with what interests you? If the problem is that you already know everything, then you could really benefit by putting yourself ahead of the game and learning more by doing extra - I went to a college prep school, and this was the norm - the smartest kids would do these kinds of extra things and it would help them get into college or skip courses in college. For an aspie, especially, I think the real-world experience of internships (rather than only being in the classroom) would be good for us. I was great academically, but it was my difficulty in real world experiences that really held me back.

IVE just thought can you leave school at 15 like the UK? i remember you can legally leave school in the uk at 15
and i remember a Jewish girl in the UK went to oxford at 15 ,
i think to study physics! that was 30 years ago

Thank you! There's a lot of really good advice in here! I think I'll stick it out and put grades first and also ask for work or do my own projects.

New Threads

Top Bottom