• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If real men can't hit women, why women can hit men?

This is a very interesting topic. I see these memes occasionally saying "REAL MEN DON'T HIT WOMEN" or "It doesn't matter what she did. You don't hit women, ever". That implies violence against men is "allowed". If it's not allowed, why not say something that covers both sides, like "Stop domestic violence", but don't imply women are the only victims of that. Did you know 1/3 woman will statistically be the victim of domestic violence and 1/4 man also? The numbers are similar but there's a strange contrast between the cases. If a woman is a victim of DV it's a serious societal issue that's taken seriously. The woman would get all kinds of help, unlimited resources.

When a man is the victim of DV it's "funny". It's seen as a joke. Basically if the violence is non-reciprocal (for example if the woman is the violent one) and the man hits her back in self defence, the man could get arrested for domestic abuse, not the woman.

I have a very "controversial" opinion on this. Domestic violence isn't funny regardless of the gender of the victim. You know, that's called equality. The feminists claim they're for equality, but somehow they keep ignoring men's issues, which do exist. Look up a documentary called "The red pill". It's about an American feminist investigating these men's rights group, which is allegedly a misogynist group, according to the mainstream media. Turns out they aren't at all and that they have genuine points and that men do have problems today's society.

This is an interesting video. Please note that the women throw the first punch. I don't think anyone should hit anyone but women can't seriously believe they can't treat men anyway they want.

If I attack a woman that's physically stronger than me and more skilled in self defence (bodybuilder, martial arts expert), does that mean she can't hit me back in self defence because I would be the weaker one? Or am I a "coward" on default for being a man, despite being physically weaker?

What about transgenders? Do they count as their original gender, or the new one? Is Caitlyn Jenner a man or a woman, legally speaking? If I got into a physical confrontation with said individual, am I fighting with a man or a woman?

I have questions.

I've never understood this double standard, so don't support it. No one has the right to hit another person, except in self defence. It's that simple.

As someone not even in the gender binary this whole thing confuses an annoys the turnip out of me. Just don't hit anyone except in self defence, and treat everyone with equal respect regardless of what genitals they may or may not have. Is that so hard? /stupidgendernormsrantover

I feel like this whole debate is old-fashioned. No one should hit anyone. No one has the right to inflict violence on others. And in my opinion, violence is only excusable if there are literally no other options left.
Responding to violence (or insults/perceived slights) by rising above instead of lashing back out shows strength in character, not weakness.

As someone not even in the gender binary this whole thing confuses an annoys the turnip out of me. Just don't hit anyone except in self defence, and treat everyone with equal respect regardless of what genitals they may or may not have. Is that so hard? /stupidgendernormsrantover

Great use of vegetables

If a wood chuck can chuck wood, why can't the wood chuck him? I don't get it either :confused:

In theory, anyone can hit anyone. Thing about that, some people suck at putting it into practice. "You can dish it out but you can't take it" sort of thing. I can't dish it out and I can't take a whole lot, so I prefer not to resort to this sort of thing when possible.

Last edited:
If I attack a woman that's physically stronger than me and more skilled in self defence (bodybuilder, martial arts expert), does that mean she can't hit me back in self defence because I would be the weaker one? Or am I a "coward" on default for being a man, despite being physically weaker?

What about transgenders? Do they count as their original gender, or the new one? Is Caitlyn Jenner a man or a woman, legally speaking? If I got into a physical confrontation with said individual, am I fighting with a man or a woman?

I have questions.

The question should be why would you choose to “fight back” and not find another way to remove yourself from the situation? Once someone changes their gender in drivers license etc, they are legally that gender. Also know that taking hormones changes a person regardless of what their legal gender is. Unless you are planning on fighting folks, why does this topic matter? The premise of you as “the guy” even discussing “attacking a woman” (regardless of if she is a bodybuilder or martial artist) makes me cringe. In what situation would you have been playing a part in to create this chaos? It takes two to tango, so the saying goes.

Retreat, stalling, or restraining should come first, but no one would fault you from smacking some idiot coming at you with a weapon. Just make sure that you cover other options first.

Some crazy lady running at your kids with a baseball bat over her head . . . well that is just asking for a physical reaction. Just about no one would fault anyone for defending their children from anyone or anything. Under rare cases the situation very well may warrant violence.

Some lady slapping you over something stupid like your shopping cart being blown in the wind, and hitting her car? Likely not the same reaction would be called for. Just take it (unless she busted an eardrum, or broke your nose . . . then call the cops).

Last edited:
Seems like a pointless thing to debate given all the legal variables involved. What the law says relative to their jurisdiction rather than society at large. Considerations of the police, district attorneys and jurors. All of which are individually capable of generating different outcomes. It's complicated! :eek:

I know in the jurisdiction I live in that the person who takes a swing at the other and causes obvious injury is going to jail, no matter what their gender is. Then it becomes just a matter of whether charges are formally filed or not. Potentially complicated by considerations of castle doctrine and retreat laws. And jurors who occasionally deliberate some surprising outcomes.

BTW, did anyone notice that George Zimmerman got arrested again? Suspicion of criminal stalking. :rolleyes:

Retreat, stalling, or restraining should come first, but no one would fault you from smacking some idiot coming at you with a weapon. Just make sure that you cover other options first.

Some crazy lady running at your kids with a baseball bat over her head . . . well that is just asking for a physical reaction. Just about no one would fault anyone for defending their children from anyone or anything. Under rare cases the situation very well may warrant violence.

Some lady slapping you over something stupid like your shopping cart being blown in the wind, and hitting her car? Likely not the same reaction would be called for. Just take it (unless she busted an eardrum, or broke your nose . . . then call the cops).

I would press charges: if any lady slapped you for “something stupid” is still her assaulting you. Why would you allow anyone with such poor impulse control to continue to think it’s ok to do this? It’s not. That “ lady” probably goes home and beats her kids, and husband.

It’s not ok no matter what the reason.

Nobody has a right to hit anyone, but the reason for the emphasis on men not hitting women is the same as the reason an adult shouldn't hit a child back if the child hits them: generally they are weaker. Obviously if you are in danger you need to defend yourself, but only to the extent necessary for your safety. If a child or smaller or weaker adult hits you, you should stop them, restrain them if you must, and as soon as possible leave the area. (If you've called police or other authorities, wait until they have arrived and said you can leave.)

There's no excuse at any time for violence towards anyone. I agree memes should reflect that. It's not okay for women to hit men the same as men hitting women.

The idea of tolerating a “weaker person” assualting You is ludicrous. “Just take it?” Are you serious!?!? Why reinforce their bad behavior? They need to be taught consequences.

New Threads

Top Bottom