• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Hate Summer

I prefer autumn myself when it's not too cold and not too warm. I always enjoyed autumn when I lived in Ohio. Down here we have hot, followed by more hot, and followed by purgatorial with a few tornadoes thrown in to make it lively.

That's why I'm looking forward to retiring so I can leave this area. Frankly, as hot and humid as it gets here, I'm surprised everything doesn't look like an Salvador Dali painting:

the-persistence-of-memory-1931.jpg
Now you have me wondering if good ol Salvador was an Aspie. This may be how he actually saw the world!

All my life I hated the summers here in West Tennessee. I took a job in Mobile Alabama and found out what a hot summer really is. I'm back in Tennessee now and I still don't like the summers but now I know it could be much worse. I used to dream of moving to Alaska but now my health prohibits that option.

I hate the heat I live in Australia and it gets very hot during summer it can get up to 45c where I live and I find I'm more irritable during hot spells,but I hate hot nights more than hot days because even though I struggle during the day I hate feeling overheated during bedtime and a air conditioner is necessary for me,also I'm very susceptible to heat stroke and have gotten sick over heat but I prefer Autumn and Spring the in between seasons where I can feel more comfortable.

I was watching the weather on TV earlier and they said there was heat warnings issued for the Midwest. Here in Idaho it is nice and cool. I am enjoying it while I can because I know it will not last. Southern Idaho is a high desert so we have dry heat. But hot is hot, no matter what and I do not like it.

I was watching the weather on TV earlier and they said there was heat warnings issued for the Midwest. Here in Idaho it is nice and cool. I am enjoying it while I can because I know it will not last. Southern Idaho is a high desert so we have dry heat. But hot is hot, no matter what and I do not like it.
Idaho is a gorgeous state. I love the Sawtooth Mountains.

In the other place I lived in across town, it was a very dimly-lit apartment, though year-round. After four years it pretty much got to me. I felt as if I was existing in "Dracula's Tomb". It just compounded my clinical depression.

Of course I moved to a very different location, with plenty of sunlight year-round. But over the last four years I've found myself always waking up prematurely because of the early morning light in my bedroom. Still debating about covering my window...which I don't really want to do. Frustrating when there's no apparent "happy-medium". It truly is the one thing that I don't like about summer. And one thing I always look forward to in the fall and winter....as it gets so much darker and stays that way in the mornings.

In the other place I lived in across town, it was a very dimly-lit apartment, though year-round. After four years it pretty much got to me. I felt as if I was existing in "Dracula's Tomb". It just compounded my clinical depression.

Of course I moved to a very different location, with plenty of sunlight year-round. But over the last four years I've found myself always waking up prematurely because of the early morning light in my bedroom. Still debating about covering my window...which I don't really want to do. Frustrating when there's no apparent "happy-medium". It truly is the one thing that I don't like about summer. And one thing I always look forward to in the fall and winter....as it gets so much darker and stays that way in the mornings.

I feel the same way. We have our bed room blacked out for the very same reasons. That and my afternoon naps. However, the rest of the house gets sunlight to the max.

I feel the same way. We have our bed room blacked out for the very same reasons. That and my afternoon naps. However, the rest of the house gets sunlight to the max.

How did you choose to black out the window? I know when I lived with my folks, my father used tin foil to do so in our home. But with an apartment...I'm pretty sure management will get all bent out of shape if I put anything up that is flush against the windows panes. I've tried to just grin and bear it, but truth is I'm methodically awake so much earlier every single day. :(

How did you choose to black out the window? I know when I lived with my folks, my father used tin foil to do so in our home. But with an apartment...I'm pretty sure management will get all bent out of shape if I put anything up that is flush against the windows panes. I've tried to just grin and bear it, but truth is I'm methodically awake so much earlier every single day. :(

I bought a special type of blinds that have cloth on them and do not let much light through. Then we got black out curtains. It is so dark in there that the automatic night light stays on. I got the blinds and curtains at Home Depot. If your bedroom window gets a lot of sun, aluminum foil with the shiny side out, will keep the room cooler. The foil is cheap and works good. Why not ask management if they care? It is a health issue. Us old Aspies need our sleep.

Judge - I am another who gets very little sleep if there is any light. :(
Here is my solution, hope it helps. At office supply or art/craft supply shops they sell a product called foam-core. It is extremely lightweight but blocks out light. It is inexpensive and can be cut with a pocketknife and a straightedge. It will not need to touch the glass to keep out the light if you measure and cut precisely.
If you take a look at my old kitchen window in the pic I posted yesterday you will see it blocking the morning sun. I use them like shoji screens. They are clean, work just right, and easy-peezy.

Judge - I am another who gets very little sleep if there is any light. :(
Here is my solution, hope it helps. At office supply or art/craft supply shops they sell a product called foam-core. It is extremely lightweight but blocks out light. It is inexpensive and can be cut with a pocketknife and a straightedge. It will not need to touch the glass to keep out the light if you measure and cut precisely.
If you take a look at my old kitchen window in the pic I posted yesterday you will see it blocking the morning sun. I use them like shoji screens. They are clean, work just right, and easy-peezy.

Thanks. That's a thought. I figure it would take at least four of them taped together...easily bought at places like Michaels or Staples right here in town. Of course anything opaque covering the windows even if not touching may still arouse the management. I'll have to take another walk around my complex to see if others have done something similar. Good idea though.

I'm the exact opposite as I hate winter. I hate bundling up with coats and gloves. Plus, the dreaded lonely holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas pressure makes it doubly depressing. Winter is gloomy and sad. I LOVE sunshine, flowers and rainbows, 4th of July, Swimming, shorts and tank tops and walking around barefoot.

I'm the exact opposite as I hate winter. I hate bundling up with coats and gloves. Plus, the dreaded lonely holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas pressure makes it doubly depressing. Winter is gloomy and sad. I LOVE sunshine, flowers and rainbows, 4th of July, Swimming, shorts and tank tops and walking around barefoot.
I don't know that I love the cold but it is generally easier to warm up than cook down. For me, it's really about a better darkness to lightness ratio for my circadian rhythm.

Ball cap is my glare-reducer of choice. Bright lights really are one of my strongest sensory sensitivities. Add in some noise and motion of multiple people, and I can't think.
I don't know if it's the bright light, or the intense heat that triggers my meltdowns.

Shade, cool breezes, watermelon, shorts, bare feet, and soft green grass helps to get through summers.
Indoors, AC for the hottest days helps, as do library books. :D

Labor Day weekend usually brings some relief from the humidity.

New Threads

Top Bottom