• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Hate Summer

wanderer03

Am I the only one to hate summer? Oddly, I feel at my worst during the long, hot, and humid days. The past three times that I was hospitalized were all over the summer. I feel myself wanting the darkness at 8:00 pm yet it's still light out. It is almost as if I have reverse seasonal affective disorder.

I'm scared the depression is coming back because I feel restless, frustrated, and angry....

I long for the days of autumn and winter. My own circadian rhythm prefers the shorter, colder days. I feel more alive and more hopeful. Why is this? Most folks feel glum when summer is over whereas I breathe a sigh of relief.

I like it here in the high desert. We tend to have four distinct seasons. Though sometimes I think winter lingers the most at times. But very little humidity throughout the year.

Where I used to live we only had two. Mild and blistering hot.

Last edited:
No, you're not the only one! I hate summer too. I hate it that it stays light so late, and heat and humidity are hard to take. I lived in Florida for awhile, and it was the heat that drove me back to the Northeast. My favorite seasons are autumn and winter, too. I feel much better when the air is cool and crisp. And I hate daylight savings because it messes everything up.

I prefer overcast days with a warm rain falling. It just feels good to me, and I like that when you walk up to a building or car there's no glare so you can see who's inside.
The longer days are throwing me off my exercise schedule. In the winter I go to the gym when it's dark at 6:00. Now it's not dark till 8:30, and the gym closes at 8:00

Am I the only one to hate summer? Oddly, I feel at my worst during the long, hot, and humid days. The past three times that I was hospitalized were all over the summer. I feel myself wanting the darkness at 8:00 pm yet it's still light out. It is almost as if I have reverse seasonal affective disorder.

I'm scared the depression is coming back because I feel restless, frustrated, and angry....

I long for the days of autumn and winter. My own circadian rhythm prefers the shorter, colder days. I feel more alive and more hopeful. Why is this? Most folks feel glum when summer is over whereas I breathe a sigh of relief.

I feel exactly the same. I hate hot weather. I feel half ill all summer long, and I can never get a good night's rest even with the AC cranked. It's like my body still knows it's hot, and it won't relax. Consequently, summer is my most unproductive season. I'd rather bundle up and work outdoors in the winter. Not to mention, I hate sweating, and have to take two showers a day in summer usually. My cats don't care for it much either.

The really intense heat makes explode-y meltdowns. I also get ill from the heat each summer, even though I stay hydrated. Cramps, lassitude, digestive hoopla, and struggles with speech add to the malaise. The meltdowns are such that I don't see them coming.

When the heat and humidity hit, I hole up watching BBC classics on YouTube. In England, admirably pale characters cavort about in delightfully rainswept, chilly villages, and sip steaming mugs of tea :coffee: as rain rataplans at the windows. They frolic in brooding, frigid castles, :snowflake: huddle round toasty fireplaces, and withstand the blustery glacial blasts in drizzly, grey, raw UK countryside. :ocean: When I poke my head up from the BBC classics-a-thon, it'll be autumn. :D :fallenleaf::mapleleaf::fallenleaf: :mapleleaf: :fallenleaf: :mapleleaf:

I hear you regarding the bright, long days. The summer does have it's special joys. I love being barefoot. The summer fruits are wonderful. :cherries::peach::watermelon: I got to see a turtle today. :turtle: At night, the bullfrogs sing from the pond by my home. :frogface: For sure though, the strong sunlight and intense heat really are a challenge.

Autumn is coming. :redapple: Think: Jackets, hot cocoa, pumpkins, and the smell of woodsmoke. :evergreen:

Same here wanderer03 Detest the heat, the glare, the overly long days. I suffered for a very long time the southwest desert. It is beautiful there, but even with all the blinds down it was still too bright.
I Love cool rainy and even stormy days. I want the nice clean ending of daylight during the autumn and winter and very early spring. I am comforted by the fact of Knowing it is getting dark and so soothing and I can have a little supper and be in my home, evening, peace and quiet. Daylight saving time is just stupid, imho.
The next thing I am shopping for is an evaporative cooler for this house.

I do not like the heat of summer ether. I have trouble staying hydrated when it is hot and have been hospitalized several times with heat exhaustion. I have to make myself drink a lot of water. Fall is my favorite time of year. It is cooler, so I do not have to spend my afternoons hiding in the house. It is easier to do any kind of activity. And best of all, it is football season!!

I get digestive issues in the summer as well. Daylight savings time is one of those anachronisms (pun fully intended) that just needs to go away.

I'm an outdoor kind of person. Motorsports are very hindered in wet and cold weather. I love the longer days and the heat can be a problem at times,but it beats the destruction and struggles of winter.I spend a lot of time during the warmer months preparing for the ravages of winter so I actually hate winter that takes playtime away from being in the sun.

I hate summer too. I prefer winter.

And the worst for me during summer is taking the public communication (Europe here ;)). I feel like suffocating then. Yikes.

Nitro I am too. Come autumn, I usually rent a motorcycle and hit the road.
I love second season on a bike,but nothing beats a hot summer night in the wind. Fall signifies the end of the racing season and then the cold sets in. The heating bills go up and the damages begin. Trust me,when you have a car you build yourself that you absolutely love to drive,it will never see winter here in the rust belt. I can remember waiting all winter to get a machine out of the garage,only to have to put it back when winter arrives again. Fall to me signifies the death of better days.

I love second season on a bike,but nothing beats a hot summer night in the wind. Fall signifies the end of the racing season and then the cold sets in. The heating bills go up and the damages begin. Trust me,when you have a car you build yourself that you absolutely love to drive,it will never see winter here in the rust belt. I can remember waiting all winter to get a machine out of the garage,only to have to put it back when winter arrives again. Fall to me signifies the death of better days.
Heating bills!? LOL, I don't turn my heat on until until daytime highs get to the twenties.

You could consider moving more toward the northern hemisphere/toward the North pole, where it would not likely get overly hot. It might be hard to get adjusted to the days though were you'll have a significant amount of days with more daylight, and depending on where you are, you might have days with no daylight at all. Alaska has some 24 hour days and 24 hour nights for instance, and then I believe most of Iceland's days are like 18 hours long throughout the year. Iceland even has "midnight" golf, but sometimes it's still light out during that time.

I'm an outdoor kind of person. Motorsports are very hindered in wet and cold weather. I love the longer days and the heat can be a problem at times,but it beats the destruction and struggles of winter.I spend a lot of time during the warmer months preparing for the ravages of winter so I actually hate winter that takes playtime away from being in the sun.

You should try snowmobiles, they are a absolute blast!

New Threads

Top Bottom