• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I can't do it any more, I can't deal with other people

Häxan

Járnviðja
V.I.P Member
I grew up in an extremely abusive environment. I am diagnosed with (complex) PTSD and DESNOS together with being autistic (diagnosed with High Functioning Autism).

I can't relate to anyone at all and I can't put on this "normal" act any longer. I sit in a room with people and all I can think about is how mundane they are, their interests are, everyone just keeps clucking like chickens about nothing like it matters.

I don't know how I can carry on like this, I can't stand everyone and everything. I am unable to cope with normal everyday social norms. I don't want to talk to anybody any more.

How am I suppose to bear many more years of this?

Häxan,

You really are going through a great deal of pain right now (I just responded to your thread about your sister's murder). It's not surprising that you would be especially frustrated with everything else in your life that you aren't very happy with. I'm not diminishing your sentiments here, but I feel compelled to suggest that your loss is probably amplifying your perceptions.

Your "normal" act, the mask we all wear to fit in, is very hard to maintain under your current circumstances. Maybe now would be a good time to give yourself a break and be yourself for a while. You can always re-evaluate these social issues later, once you've done some much-needed healing.

Look to those around you who are not so mundane for a little bit of light. Common chatter and banalities will look especially petty to you right now, but depth and texture might give you comfort; maybe even a much-needed distraction.

I have no words, just my heartfelt prayer

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!

I don't know how I can carry on like this, I can't stand everyone and everything. I am unable to cope with normal everyday social norms. I don't want to talk to anybody any more.

By way of more practical ideas:

Gestalt therapy says to live in the Now at all times. This is said to help against PTSD, according to a psychologist I used to go to. Mindfulness in the tradition of Ellen J Langer is similar.

Logotherapy says to find a purpose and live for it. I think it meshes well with natural autistic "obsessiveness".

REBT, or maybe it calls itself RET now, says to reevaluate one's thoughts about how awful things are, seeing as words like "awful" and "horrible" are emotion-words, not actual descriptive ones. It says other things about talking to one's self about emotions, too, but that's the one that stands out to me.

It isn't easy and, if you can't avoid having to deal with people. Make time for yourself every day. Even just 15 minutes to do what you want, what relaxes you and makes you happy each day makes a huge difference.

No rules say you have to have close friends, or get into a relationship. Sure those are the general expectations of society but, if you are happy without them, then that's okay too. You will probably have to deal with people for work and school but, that's all so, if you want, make your home a sanctuary away from people. Wear the facade when you have to to make a living, then leave it at the door when you get home.

Of course come hang out here now and again and, just be you - we don't care if you say it wrong, or change your mind two minutes after you post. :)

You should find a pet or a hobby (one or both). If you have a pet, that is great. If you don't like pets- that is okay also. If you want a pet, go to the animal shelter and ask them if they will let you have a "foster pet", (you can return the pet to the animal shelter if it does not work out).
At the computer- search for "hobbies" and then find the hobby club that is close to where you live and go to their meetings.
I am only telling you what I would do- it may not fit your personality and I understand. If I think of something else, I will post again.

One thing you might try is a serious reorganization of your life. Tell those involved that these changes have to happen and then try and figure out together what changes can be made to reduce the stress and make things sustainable for you. Maybe you can't fix all at once, but any positive change may relieve stress and start to bring the crisis in control.

I listen to the internet radio station called" CalmRadio.com" to lift my spirits. I think that it is free listening if you care to listen through the occasional advertising. Anyway, it is a very high quality radio station

Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!

qwerty, is that your work? It is very good and heartfelt. I will keep it with me.

I grew up in an extremely abusive environment. I am diagnosed with (complex) PTSD and DESNOS together with being autistic (diagnosed with High Functioning Autism).

I can't relate to anyone at all and I can't put on this "normal" act any longer. I sit in a room with people and all I can think about is how mundane they are, their interests are, everyone just keeps clucking like chickens about nothing like it matters.

Häxan, you must be true to yourself.
You are safe with us.
Do not be afraid of failure, that is how we learn to succeed and gain wisdom.
Do not listen to your detractors, they are not you, their aspersions they cast your way is indicative of their own self loathing.
Friendships like water seeks its own level.
8000 people here need your voice, we are legion. We are true.

Post often

I responded in your other thread about your sister... But wanted to add something that helps me cope with having to be around others in those times when I feel more disconnected from them than usual. I find escaping into a favourite book is a good way of getting through a bad patch. When I don't even feel like working on my hobbies, going back to one of my favourite stories is comforting and familiar, like a safe haven. Recently I reread the Harry Potter series for the fourth time to get through a tough few weeks, and it really helped to have some "old friends" to reconnect with. Reading may help you, too.

try to get enough sleep at night. eat lots of broccolli or a variety of green vegetables that you can eat. do something that gets you into a flow state, where you feel coordinated and in tune with your body.

it's possible to recover from abuse, don't give up. here is some advice that helped me once: only think about and do whatever will make you happy in that moment. whatever feels good right now, is all you should do. if that means avoiding everyone, then avoid everyone. if it means going out and eating some food that you crave then do that. i think you need to remind yourself that -you- care about you even if no one else has, and remember that you can do something to feel better. even if it's stupid or whatever, do anything that will make you feel a bit better, today, tomorrow, and so on. don't stop until you are well.

Write more ... Your pain while intense is something we can all at least relate to; at the very least we have a glimmer of understanding.

Please don't think you are alone, you are not alone, we all understand maybe at a very rudimentary level what you are feeling, but we definitely feel your pain.

It's why I too am here.

Do you think as Aspies, we actually empathise and feel emotional pain much more than the general populace?

I for one believe so.

In that context we need each other so we don't feel so isolated.

We're here for you ... Just write.

It is difficult to say if aspies "feel more" than the general population. How does one reliably compare subjectivities? Though it is probably safe to say that the "aspies lack empathy" myth is just that.

Last edited:
Häxan - I understand you wrote your OP on July 30th.

How are you doing now? Have things improved? Are they at least a little better?

I grew up in an extremely abusive environment.
I can relate to this. I didn't learn I was autistic until last year and didn't receive a clinical diagnosis until last April. My parents knew I was different but didn't want to take me to a medical professional to find out why. Heaven forbid that my inadequacies might reflect poorly on them.

When I tried spinning or flapping or violently shaking my head, my mother would slap me across the face. If I continued, my father would pull off his belt, bend me over his knee, and beat me.

Since I was very clumsy as a young child, they had me fitted for leg braces. I'm not sure how making me totter about like a little Frankenstein monster was supposed to have improved my clumsiness ... but I wore these leg braces for two years.

My mother hated my father but stuck with him because he was in the U.S. military service and she liked living abroad in third world countries where we could afford servants. I was largely ignored except for the occasional slaps and beltings and was usually left in the care of the servants.

In time, my father was reassigned back to the states and my mother lost her servants and suddenly became a suburban housewife. She HATED IT and began taking it out on me and the abuse got much worse.

At one point during an ice storm, she sent me out on the balcony to get firewood and locked the sliding glass door behind me. When I tried to get back inside, she taunted me, demanding that I beg for the privilege of being allowed back inside. She wanted me on my knees in the ice (dressed though I was in bedroom slippers, pajamas, and a bathroom) and to beg her to let me in. When I refused, she cursed me and drew the curtains shut ... so I took a piece of firewood and smashed the sliding glass door to pieces.

My mother fled to her bedroom shrieking that she would tell my father on me.

When my father came home, he heard two different stories. I told him the truth but my mother LIED and said that she didn't know how I had gotten myself locked outside ... and if only I had had the manners to knock on the sliding glass door, she would have GLADLY let me in.

My father beat me so badly that I couldn't walk for several days and had to miss school. My father accused me of having a bad temper, lying about my mother, and vandalizing the house.

So yes ... I know a thing or two about abuse.

I am diagnosed with (complex) PTSD and DESNOS together with being autistic (diagnosed with High Functioning Autism).

I worked as a teacher at an American school in Saudi Arabia during the First Gulf War. The Iraqis had invaded Kuwait and an allied coalition of American, European, and Arabic military forces was building a massive army along the Saudi and Iraqi/Kuwaiti border. In retaliation for allied bombing attacks, the Iraqis fired scud missiles at my community, Dhaharan.

Dhaharan was the corporate headquarters of the Saudi Aramco Oil Company. Just outside our perimeter fence was an allied airfield and next to that stretching for miles was a huge quartermaster supply depot that stocked everything from rations and tents to armored fighting vehicles and ammunition. Dhahran was a choice target and when the civil defense sirens went off, we grabbed our poison gas masks and ran for shelter.

After Operational Desert Storm began, when allied forces entered Iraq and Kuwait, I began working at Khobar Towers, a U.S. Air Force base just outside Dhahran. I was a volunteer baker for the USO and every weekend (which for us was Thursday and Friday), I'd buy $100 worth of baking supplies and would go to the base to bake cookies for the troops.

Khobar Towers was later bombed by the terrorist, Osama Ben Ladin and the base was closed. The U.S. forces were relocated and the civilian volunteers never had a chance to say goodbye or to know which of our brave young servicemen and women had died in the horrific explosion that destroyed the front gates and ripped off the side of a towering apartment building that had been used as a barracks.

I spent 7 years in Saudi Arabia and a year in Beirut.

On a warm summer's evening on the last day of school, the Israeli Air Force bombed the city. As civil defense sirens began to wail, they flew in low over the Mediterranean Sea and blasted past my faculty apartment complex. The force of their passage caused the entire building to shake.

I rolled out of bed and crawled under a heavy desk to protect myself against the possibility of shattering glass from the windows. I could see tracer fire rising into the night's sky from a Syrian anti-aircraft gun that had been positioned just one block away. In the distance I could hear explosions followed by silence which was then broken by the wailing sirens of ambulances and firetrucks.

Just when I began to wonder if it was safe to come out from beneath my desk, another wave of Israeli jets flew in and the attack began all over again.

In the morning, the only people who reported to work were the foreign teachers ... the Americans, Canadians, Brits, New Zealanders, one Australian, and one woman from Brazil. The Lebanese staff had gone ... fled into the surrounding hills.

We had no electricity as the local power grid had been bombed back into the stone age.

There was a lot of anger on the streets. Someone threw a hand grenade over the wall of our school. A mob later tried to storm our Consulate and the Lebanese police were forced to shoot into the mob.

I evacuated on the first flight out of the country after the international airport reopened. I never returned.

After I was safely stateside, I was shopping for groceries in North Carolina when it started to rain. There was a loud clap of thunder and I had a flashback. We were being bombed! I threw myself to the ground and covered my head with clasped hands while shouting, "AIR RAID! IN-COMING!"

People laughed at me. They pointed their fingers and laughed at the "nut job".

I went to see a doctor, wondering if I was insane. He referred me to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with PTSD, chronic depression, and fatigue. It took me months of therapy and medication to recover. Surprisingly enough, I was not diagnosed with Asperger's at that time ... but I suppose the Asperger's was the least of my worries at that point.

I can't relate to anyone at all and I can't put on this "normal" act any longer. How am I suppose to bear many more years of this?

I know it may seem like an impossible fantasy now ... but things WILL GET BETTER.

Things certainly got better for me ... and all it took was one day at a time.

My recovery and my ability to act normally did not happen overnight. It happened day by day and step by step. Without even knowing that I had Asperger's I began compensating for my social awkwardness when I was young. Without any adults to help me, I avidly watched TV ... family friendly shows where I could watch facial expressions and observe how people interacted with each other. Over time, I slowly began to develop scripts ... how to greet people ... how to start a conversation ... how to resolve conflict etc.

It wasn't easy and I don't like being among other people because dealing with NTs is inherently stressful ... but I've managed and you can too.

Are you seeing a therapist? Do you have any support to help you? Friends perhaps? Neighbors? A church?