• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How Do You Know If You Got the Job After an Interview? How Do I Know?

i just ****in' hate how they require, expect experience for even entry-level jobs, customer-service jobs, minimum-wage paying jobs nowadays.

Well, apparently that works out for most people... and if it doesn't companies would have a problem with shortages in staff... that would be a matter of time to see that.

Yet, I think most people weirdly enough have that experience. The problem kinda is, you need to get that experience as well to be on par with "other people". And from what I've read in the posts of you in the past, that's where they're not giving you any support or decent advice.

With the realisation of "I need experience" as well as the "They don't hire me", what did you tell/ask people at the job center? And what did they tell you? Because honestly I can't believe they're just like "well, you don't have experience, you need it... this is a problem, goodbye"

yeah even for a job that only pays like 7 or 8 bucks an hour, they expect experience for even a grocery bagging position, stock position, at places like a Grocery Store, or Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowe's, OSH, SEARS, Macy's, JC Penny, Kohl's and other Retail stores. Also places like McDonald's, Burger King, In-N-Out, and other Fast-Food places like that, being just a cashier, simple entry-level job positions like that. Movie Theaters by being an Usher/Ticker-Taker. On the site CityData.com, i whole heartedly agree with this person: "Oh and don't even get me started with that online "questionaire" BS. Nobody should have to answer 200 questions AGREE DISAGREE STRONGLY DISAGREE STRONGLY AGREE to get hired as a cart boy at Home Depot."

Seriously, i hate this economy, recession with a huge passion.

Seriously, i hate this economy, recession with a huge passion.

I don't think that whenever the economy is doing better, this will be different. Employers, will now see that they need to put expectations on possible employees, thus I can't see this changing.

Also, which is something I read as a comment on a blog on this board sometime ago. Nowadays, with overpopulation (in a sense) we have to create jobs, just for the sake of getting people employed. For instance; there's 100 jobs, and 120 people. Thus they have to create 20 extra jobs somehow. And to be honest, with every development that's either A. stuff being outsourced to lower wage countries or B. being a mechanized/electronical process, even those 100 jobs available are shrinking.

And also; shrinking positions because of outsourcing, can you blame them? It's not really than a company is not entitled to make money, thus they will located their factory where people only earn (and probably can live of) less than a quarter of what people need in the western world.

Another reason why employees are that strict on hiring people is because apparently there's a lot of people that do not take their responsibiltiies seriously. While you might be responsible, show up on time and just do your job the way you need to, there are people that just don't care and rather fool around on the boss' expense. That's where extensive screening and all comes from. It's A. a deterrent for such people and B. an index to see how you are as a person. Thus, that's something you can thank previous generations for that didn't consider their job to be "a goal" but just something for fun.

Actualy, from what I've seen around here (and I'm talking The Netherlands)... supermarket cashiers, as well as say... McDonalds cashiers, but also people who work at a warehouse, are kinda required to have some kind of education. Granted it's only a high school diploma you'd need, but with that you need some kind of "capacity" to do that job, and you need a paper to prove it. Likewise, we have it set up that if you're under 27 and you file for social security the job center will see how they can put you back in school (even if it's a shorter course) to get you employed in the long run. Of course, people with a disability of sorts have it harder, but they don't file for social security in general.

So I can't really believe a job center in your area will not have some kind of "route" for you to go in how to fix A. getting some papers that prove you're not stupid and B. if you can't, cause of your disorder, I don't understand why you're not looking into disability programs (because I can't imagine they're not around). It's clear you cannot get a job by the "normal" route, so why keep trying that and get stressed out over it.

lately i've been trying a new strategy, those personality assessment tests that jobs make you take, the multiple choice questions in which the options are "strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree" etc. I've been printing out each page of the tests lately so i can hopefully run into someone, meet someone who is an expert at cheating on those tests, because often times you just have to tell employers what they want to hear.

lately i've been trying a new strategy, those personality assessment tests that jobs make you take, the multiple choice questions in which the options are "strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree" etc. I've been printing out each page of the tests lately so i can hopefully run into someone, meet someone who is an expert at cheating on those tests, because often times you just have to tell employers what they want to hear.

But, how are you sure what they want to hear? Also; can you keep up that facade as soon as you're hired. Writing down that you strongly agree with say "unpaid extra hours" and bailing out on it because it does not fit your interest isn't really the way to go IMO.

Oh, and on the link you posted... I'll look into that later. I can't promise that I can give you any decent advice, but srsly... at least I'll take the effort to look at it. So don't feel ignored.

well i've been attending a job placement agency in Southern California, where I live, born and raised, called WHW, here is the website for it, i've been attending it for like a month and a half now:
WHW | Women Helping Women ? Men 2 Work - WHW Women Helping Women Employment

So, I went through the site a bit;

Judging on what you said in a previous post there's a few things that annoy me a lot from that support centre.

All disadvantaged job seekers deserve equal opportunity in the job market
All disadvantaged job seekers deserve access to knowledge, skills and resources to get and keep a job.

They're not really acknowledging this in your case. They've only put you down (unless you're talking about another agency that rambled about you having had chances in the past and all; a post for over a month ago in this thread).

To increase your chances for employment, they do offer assistance like mock interviews and job search/placement support. Have you looked into that? Interviews might give you a bit of an idea what you did right and wrong... and them helping you look for a job... I don't know... isn't this what these companies are for? Even if you do not get hired, at least they will get a heads up that you're not hired.

So by all means... that's what I can see what might be a start for you there... but perhaps you've already been there with them.

If this is the company that has been treating you like crap... aren't there any other ones around? Can't you file a complaint saying that you feel you're being treated in a wrong way

they do mock interviews at this place i've been going to lately, but still, in life nobody is born with experience, there is always a first time for everything, i hate how employers do not see it that way.

they do mock interviews at this place i've been going to lately, but still, in life nobody is born with experience, there is always a first time for everything, i hate how employers do not see it that way.

But with mock interviews you can "learn" a bit.. just like you would in college.. that's what those mock scenario's are for.

tomorrow I have a job interview at McDonald's, wish me luck, my 7th job interview this year

Good luck!

7th interview this year? Oh man... in my town, if you're on unemployment you have to at least apply for jobs I believe... between 10 and 15 times a week... a week. And with that they kinda expect you to have at least 2 interviews a week as well.

Yes, those are absurd standards, especially since my town/city is roughly 50.000 people, thus not THAT big. But still... of course if you're having a doctors notice it's not that extreme, but in general.. yes, those are the numbers they expect you to do, or you'll be cut off (partially or entirely). However, they're not inspecting it that well, to cut people off, because a lot of people don't make it.

So all in all, having the 7th interview makes me wonder a bit how the jobapplication process (or unemployment benefits) in your area works.

But still, good luck on the McDonalds thing tomorrow :)

well it's back to the waiting game again, i had my 2nd interview at McDonald's today, and unfortuneately, they still have not made a final decision yet in the hiring process, it is really driving my patience.

well it's back to the waiting game again, i had my 2nd interview at McDonald's today, and unfortuneately, they still have not made a final decision yet in the hiring process, it is really driving my patience.

You're applying to the wrong places. Go ask around at warehouses, construction job sites, loading docks, and carpentry shops. I've worked (and still currently do) for all of those types of jobs so I know for a fact they are ALWAYS looking for help. ALWAYS. Especially construction. If you have limited construction experience you'll get thrown in a greenhorn slot but a proven greenhorn still gets about $9 an hour around here.

and the hiring, screening process for those type of jobs is very fast? as in they don't take a long time to let you know whether you got hired or not?

and the hiring, screening process for those type of jobs is very fast? as in they don't take a long time to let you know whether you got hired or not?

I'm employed as the construction/carpenter worker for a warehouse, just to give you a frame of reference of my perception.

When I hire someone I'll ask them if they've ever hung drywall, bored concrete, mudded sheetrock, etc. etc. and usually give them a full day to prove themselves. That's all the interviewing I do and thats all the interviewing it took for me to get any of my jobs I've had.

And I've NEVER been fired from a job. So yea, its a good screening technique.

New Threads

Top Bottom