• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How Do You Know If You Got the Job After an Interview? How Do I Know?

The same thing could be said for having hobbies. But I can understand that hobbies cost money, and you don't have that cause you need a job and such... but just sayin... a good hobby is quality time to take your mind of things.
The Hobbies, Interests I have do not really involve me surrounding myself in social-settings, social-environments, as in, i am not an athlete, never was interested in playing sports although i gave them a try in high school.

the fact that i'm getting job interviews, is that a good sign? because for very long time, whenever i submitted a job application, i never received any response back, as in, not only did I not get hired, I did not even get an interview, if you are not getting interviews what does that mean? does that mean they do not like your resume? if you do get an interview, that means they liked something on the resume right? application?

the fact that i'm getting job interviews, is that a good sign? because for very long time, whenever i submitted a job application, i never received any response back, as in, not only did I not get hired, I did not even get an interview, if you are not getting interviews what does that mean? does that mean they do not like your resume? if you do get an interview, that means they liked something on the resume right? application?

If they react to your application, they will probably need people. And you might qualify.

If they don't there might be a few things going on;
- They don't like your resume
- They don't need people but they their "job openings" adverisment is a automated thing. Or eventually there might be jobs, but not in your area, but in the same state for that storechain.

That last thing I had a lot. I even had this at employment agencies where they were like "oh, there's no openings now, we just have that to get people in". And let's be honest... such actions do not sit well with a lot of people, and in general I think people on the spectrum (amongst others) feel really cheated on that way, cause we kinda hope people state the f'n truth.

The Hobbies, Interests I have do not really involve me surrounding myself in social-settings, social-environments, as in, i am not an athlete, never was interested in playing sports although i gave them a try in high school.

I didn't say you had to do social things. I can lock myself in with some paints, a brush and some canvas and have enough fun. Point is; hobbies do not require social interaction. But in general keeping your mind on something you like, could make up for worrying.

If they react to your application, they will probably need people. And you might qualify.

If they don't there might be a few things going on;
- They don't like your resume
- They don't need people but they their "job openings" adverisment is a automated thing. Or eventually there might be jobs, but not in your area, but in the same state for that storechain.

That last thing I had a lot. I even had this at employment agencies where they were like "oh, there's no openings now, we just have that to get people in". And let's be honest... such actions do not sit well with a lot of people, and in general I think people on the spectrum (amongst others) feel really cheated on that way, cause we kinda hope people state the f'n truth.

I didn't say you had to do social things. I can lock myself in with some paints, a brush and some canvas and have enough fun. Point is; hobbies do not require social interaction. But in general keeping your mind on something you like, could make up for worrying.

Well the hobbies I have are, I love going to the Movies, you could say i'm a big movie dork, buff, i love collecting DVD's, movies, etc. Also as my username says, these are my interests, interests are the same as hobbies right? I'm a big Pop-Culture Nerd, Geek, which i'm proud of, fan of many Comic-Book franchises, characters, fictional characters, etc. I'm a fan of many cartoons from the 1980's and 1990's, such as He-Man and the Masters of the Universe(I love the one from the early 2000's as well too that was on Cartoon Network), Transformers, G.I. Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, Captain Planet and the Planeteers, Voltron, the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I like Anime such as Dragon Ball Z, and I love Tokusatsu, which includes Super Sentai(the original Japanese version of Power Rangers), I love Giant Robots, Mecha's, Kamen Rider, Metal Heroes, Ultraman.

Well i called them back today, i called the Assistant Manager who I had my Interview with, he said they are still reviewing applications, he sounded positive, cheerful when I called, I asked what is my hiring status, and he said they are still reviewing, and he literally, even said "Thanks for Calling", he said within 1 day or 2 i should get a call back.

^plus being in a job helps with learning some social cues.

With me for the first month of working at subway when someone asked "how are you" I actually answered truthfully. Finally my boss let me know that replying with "I'm fine" even when I'm not is the proper answer.

I also learned how to use small talk and such. A job is good for more then just an income.

Also I discovered that when you are very nice and kinda "kiss butt" with costumes you can get tips very easy. If you can play to a persons ego and such you can gain from it.

However doing the above is viewed as bad by most NT people I think, but still it is good for that extra few bucks.

what I don't understand, is that employers that do not require a college degree, why do they ask questions in interviews or it gives them a great impression that the person is driven, motivated, has goals, wants to continue his education, why does that matter so much?

Well the hobbies I have are, I love going to the Movies, you could say i'm a big movie dork, buff, i love collecting DVD's, movies, etc. Also as my username says, these are my interests, interests are the same as hobbies right? I'm a big Pop-Culture Nerd, Geek, which i'm proud of, fan of many Comic-Book franchises, characters, fictional characters, etc. I'm a fan of many cartoons from the 1980's and 1990's, such as He-Man and the Masters of the Universe(I love the one from the early 2000's as well too that was on Cartoon Network), Transformers, G.I. Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, Captain Planet and the Planeteers, Voltron, the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I like Anime such as Dragon Ball Z, and I love Tokusatsu, which includes Super Sentai(the original Japanese version of Power Rangers), I love Giant Robots, Mecha's, Kamen Rider, Metal Heroes, Ultraman.

How about for a new hobby you learn to draw cartoons/anime characters? You could then start making your own comics to keep yourself occupied. Maybe start a blog to talk about your interests, that would kill some time, watch movies read comics, it all takes up time and keeps your mind off other things.

what I don't understand, is that employers that do not require a college degree, why do they ask questions in interviews or it gives them a great impression that the person is driven, motivated, has goals, wants to continue his education, why does that matter so much?

Because they can get an idea of how lazy a person is, if they ask you what your goals are and you say "I don't know", do you plan on furthering your education "No" what hobbies do you have? "I don't know, I just sit and play video games or whatever". That makes you sound like a lazy person who will do their upmost to avoid any kind of hard work. Wheras if you word your answers differently it can make you sound really positive and eager to work, so same questions slightly different answers;

What are your goals? "Right now I'm focusing on getting a good job, hopefully this one"
Do you plan on furthering your education "Not right now as I would like to focus on work but I am keen to expand my knowledge in the future"
What are your hobbies? "I have a vast range of interests, I'm quite partial to video games when at home relaxing but that's when I'm not undertaking my other outdoor activities"

An employer wants to ensure they don't hire someone who will do as little work as possible, they want a hard worker who is positive and focused.

Good luck with the job hunting :)

In a way I can relate to this, especially since I don't have a college degree either. I'm not lazy, but for me it just didn't work out... really I need a big sign that says "does not mix in with others".

However, I think it's kinda ridiculous to expect that someone with an uneducated job is driven and motivated. It's not realistic to expect people to be hyped up for doing some cleaning job for example. Sure, there are people that are happy with it, but not everyone is the same, and a lot are likely just "well I have a job", which doesn't qualify to me as happy and bouncy for a job.

And even further education might pose a problem, especially if you're "younger". I've had interviews where they told me "sorry, we're looking for someone with no future plans at all, because we're investing in a training on the job and we won't do that for someone who is just around for 2 years max".

However, having goals in life, things you like to do, things that get you out of bed, instead of just an alarmclock telling you, you must go. An employer in general doesn't want employees that are on the brink of depression cause they have no "interest" in things. They want people that at least have a valid reason why they need the job. Cause if you don't need the job, chances are you're not going to care a whole lot for it.

How about for a new hobby you learn to draw cartoons/anime characters? You could then start making your own comics to keep yourself occupied. Maybe start a blog to talk about your interests, that would kill some time, watch movies read comics, it all takes up time and keeps your mind off other things.

With that comes some talent. However, it's a good idea cause he might vent some frustrations in social behaviour en ettiquette in comics. But yeah, it does require some talent and some interest in drawing I think.

What are your goals? "Right now I'm focusing on getting a good job, hopefully this one"
Do you plan on furthering your education "Not right now as I would like to focus on work but I am keen to expand my knowledge in the future"
What are your hobbies? "I have a vast range of interests, I'm quite partial to video games when at home relaxing but that's when I'm not undertaking my other outdoor activities"

You realize that those might as well just be lies. And from what I read, aspies in general aren't that good liars.

Imagine, I don't have those goals for real, I don't have education plans and I don't have hobbies. Or what if I have goals that, if they go deeper in it, prove to be "not ok" with the application? I had experience with both cases.

In the end they told me; "before you look for a job, make sure you have your life sorted out, cause this way you'll rarely find a job that works for you". Fact apparently is, they want you to have goals, plans and hobbies that are accepted by some vague norm. Oh, and not having any of them is obviously not the norm either. And probably the worst thing is "hobbies". I've had therapists lift an eyebrow over the apparent "depth" I try to put in those. And I can't just tell someone "I like movies", cause that'll end up in "what kind of movies?" and "what do they do for you?"... yes I've had questions like that during an interview. It felt like a psychological screening... for an assembly line job.

You realize that those might as well just be lies. And from what I read, aspies in general aren't that good liars.

Imagine, I don't have those goals for real, I don't have education plans and I don't have hobbies. Or what if I have goals that, if they go deeper in it, prove to be "not ok" with the application? I had experience with both cases.

In the end they told me; "before you look for a job, make sure you have your life sorted out, cause this way you'll rarely find a job that works for you". Fact apparently is, they want you to have goals, plans and hobbies that are accepted by some vague norm. Oh, and not having any of them is obviously not the norm either. And probably the worst thing is "hobbies". I've had therapists lift an eyebrow over the apparent "depth" I try to put in those. And I can't just tell someone "I like movies", cause that'll end up in "what kind of movies?" and "what do they do for you?"... yes I've had questions like that during an interview. It felt like a psychological screening... for an assembly line job.

You took the words right out of my mouth :) and as for sorting your life out thing - ok, it might be true to some point but in many cases a person would have to have a job to be able to do so :)
I was trying to get a weekend job just to get some extra cash, something simple, like a cashier or something. And application did contain questions, which to me, absolutely irrelevant to the job, that a child could do. Yeah, ok, maybe they're trying to predict a person's behavior but don't the employers know that a lot of the people are probably going to lie...
which I personally have hard time doing...

Yeah, ok, maybe they're trying to predict a person's behavior but don't the employers know that a lot of the people are probably going to lie...

Employers know that... but it's a good tool to measure how docile people are. If they're willing to lie and forego personal principles over a job and succes, they're fit for the position. Buuuuuuut, I might be bit biased cause I kinda hold a small grudge against employment and employers... just because there is a general lack of honesty going on there and those lies are things that society accepts.

On the phycologicl parts of applications or interview I alwase answer in the middle of the line, like "on a scale of 1-5 how much do you enjoy working with others, one being not much and five being a lot" I would answer in the middle.

Of corse I would give a few ones and a few fives just so it seemed like I was answering truthfully. Personally a lot of questions people or tests ask I had never thought of or had an answer too so I had to make things up.

What your saying is based on your personal experiences, what I said was based on my personal experiences. My father has a very strong work ethic and he taught my brother and I from a young age that we had better get jobs or else and he taught us the right things to say. It's all very logical to me, an employer wants to hear certain things, I remember in some of my earlier interviews I was completely honest and as a result didn't get the job, only after dozens of interviews and applications did I slowly learn (with some help) how to best 'present' myself and make things sound better then they are (or to put it your way lie, yes I can lie I don't like lies but if I have to I can).

When I first tried to get into accountancy nobody would give me a job because they all wanted experience, I managed to get an interview and when asked if I had experience I said something along the lines of "I haven't had any accounting job experience but I am currently studying accountancy at night school" that sounds alot more positive then a simple "no".

Same with saying your not currently studying but may at some point in the future is different to just answering "no" when asked if your going to further your education. As for indepth questions that's a time to be selectively vague:
What is your hobby? - I like movies
What kind? - All sorts really
Do you go to the cinema? - Not as much as I'd like
What's your favourite film - Wow it would be pretty difficult to narrow it down to just one, but my favourite I've seen in the past few months is *film name*

But I can't imagine many employers going that in-depth, I've never had an interview like that, they've asked what my interests are and I told them the socially acceptable general vague ones - movies, music, etc. But this was a looong time ago when I was young and carefree, put into an interview situation now I'd probably be a complete wreck and forget how to do it right.

What your saying is based on your personal experiences, what I said was based on my personal experiences. My father has a very strong work ethic and he taught my brother and I from a young age that we had better get jobs or else and he taught us the right things to say. It's all very logical to me, an employer wants to hear certain things, I remember in some of my earlier interviews I was completely honest and as a result didn't get the job, only after dozens of interviews and applications did I slowly learn (with some help) how to best 'present' myself and make things sound better then they are (or to put it your way lie, yes I can lie I don't like lies but if I have to I can).

When I first tried to get into accountancy nobody would give me a job because they all wanted experience, I managed to get an interview and when asked if I had experience I said something along the lines of "I haven't had any accounting job experience but I am currently studying accountancy at night school" that sounds alot more positive then a simple "no".

Same with saying your not currently studying but may at some point in the future is different to just answering "no" when asked if your going to further your education. As for indepth questions that's a time to be selectively vague:
What is your hobby? - I like movies
What kind? - All sorts really
Do you go to the cinema? - Not as much as I'd like
What's your favourite film - Wow it would be pretty difficult to narrow it down to just one, but my favourite I've seen in the past few months is *film name*

But I can't imagine many employers going that in-depth, I've never had an interview like that, they've asked what my interests are and I told them the socially acceptable general vague ones - movies, music, etc. But this was a looong time ago when I was young and carefree, put into an interview situation now I'd probably be a complete wreck and forget how to do it right.

Yeah, it's based on personal experiences, but seeing as we both had different ones, it can go either way ;)

I can see how you're saying to just make it a bit more "vague" along the lines of "not now, but in the future I might"... that's not lying. It's leaving options open. But like I said, some employers don't want such vagueness, they want the entire, when, where and what on the spot, because they want decisive people not someone who'll just look at whatever he likes at the moment.

As for the questions during an interview. I've really had questions that went up to "what do you like about it?" and "does this movie reflect any personal views of yours? If not... why not? (and the follow up, what does?)"... I thought it were non-relevant questions... and I run into such trivial matters at employment agencies, which makes me think what the hell is this good for. And of course, they'll keep track of a file, so they can have a closer look on your interest and map your personality up to where they state "we don't think you're fit for this job". I can't have a pro-life stance as well as an pro-abortion stance... cause that'll make me look indecisive either. And in general it wasn't even for really high paying jobs, but minor assembly work and all. It's stupid.

But still I really hope it goes well for topicstarter in terms of employment. I don't want to discourage him here.

Well Bad News, I did not get the job, i'm just very frustrated, pissed off right now, since I was released, let go from my Target seasonal job 2 months ago, Decemeber 17th to be exact, i've had 2 job interviews, 1 in the month of January last month on January 19th, and 1 in the current month of February on February 15th, in January I had an interview at Home Depot, and this month I had an Interview at OSH, got rejected from both of them. True, even before i got hired at Target, i never even got an interview in the first place whenever i submitted a job application, but the fact i've been getting interviews lately, still, yes i guess it is somewhat good, but it makes me mad still because the ultimate goal is to get hired, to get the job, and it makes me feel like i'm getting teased, lead on, because i'm not used to getting interviews in the first place. Also, I don't feel it is right to judge a person, say they are lazy if the person has no goals, has not plans or intention to finish their education, because that person could just be committed to working in an entry-level job, minimum-wage job, the person could have perfect attendence there, always be on time, why should it matter to the managers or bosses if the applicant wants to better himself/herself in life?

Well Bad News, I did not get the job, i'm just very frustrated, pissed off right now, since I was released, let go from my Target seasonal job 2 months ago, Decemeber 17th to be exact, i've had 2 job interviews, 1 in the month of January last month on January 19th, and 1 in the current month of February on February 15th, in January I had an interview at Home Depot, and this month I had an Interview at OSH, got rejected from both of them. True, even before i got hired at Target, i never even got an interview in the first place whenever i submitted a job application, but the fact i've been getting interviews lately, still, yes i guess it is somewhat good, but it makes me mad still because the ultimate goal is to get hired, to get the job, and it makes me feel like i'm getting teased, lead on, because i'm not used to getting interviews in the first place. Also, I don't feel it is right to judge a person, say they are lazy if the person has no goals, has not plans or intention to finish their education, because that person could just be committed to working in an entry-level job, minimum-wage job, the person could have perfect attendence there, always be on time, why should it matter to the managers or bosses if the applicant wants to better himself/herself in life?

That's sad to hear.

Did they tell you why you didn't get the job? Or did they just tell you "We wont hire you, kthxbai!"?

But why does it matter to managers and bosses if the applicant wants to better himself in life? Because I secretly think they want people with a positive outlook and future. Also, they might want to have people that might have decent talents, and underuse them.. and eventually use them when they see fit. Which I think isn't fair. And also... there might be some studies that show that people who want to do "good" in life, are less prone to depression and not doing the job correct. Sad to say.. but nowadays everything is a testresult and a statistic, hence there's a lot of stuff they're going by.

That's sad to hear.

Did they tell you why you didn't get the job? Or did they just tell you "We wont hire you, kthxbai!"?

But why does it matter to managers and bosses if the applicant wants to better himself in life? Because I secretly think they want people with a positive outlook and future. Also, they might want to have people that might have decent talents, and underuse them.. and eventually use them when they see fit. Which I think isn't fair. And also... there might be some studies that show that people who want to do "good" in life, are less prone to depression and not doing the job correct. Sad to say.. but nowadays everything is a testresult and a statistic, hence there's a lot of stuff they're going by.

no they did not, do employers ever tell an applicant why they rejected them? never heard of it happening before, but here is what they wrote to me, they e-mailed me back saying this: "We enjoyed meeting with you in the interview and would like to thank you for taking time to meet with us at (Company Name).

We regret to inform you, however, that we have filled this position. Again, we appreciate your interest in opportunities with us, and are certain that you'll find plenty of exciting career opportunities in the very near future. We will definitely hang onto your resume for consideration for future openings like this one or others. In the meantime, we wish you the best of success in your employment search.

Sincerely,

Human Resources"

no they did not, do employers ever tell an applicant why they rejected them? never heard of it happening before, but here is what they wrote to me, they e-mailed me back saying this: "We enjoyed meeting with you in the interview and would like to thank you for taking time to meet with us at (Company Name).

We regret to inform you, however, that we have filled this position. Again, we appreciate your interest in opportunities with us, and are certain that you'll find plenty of exciting career opportunities in the very near future. We will definitely hang onto your resume for consideration for future openings like this one or others. In the meantime, we wish you the best of success in your employment search.

Sincerely,

Human Resources"

Well, there is the disclosure of them not having to tell you why they hired another employee. Which might be because he has better refferals and whatnot. But some employers tell you. I've been rejected here and there, and got fired and got reasons for it. I even got rejected once because they told me they actually needed a woman for a job. I told em it was discrimination. A day later I got a call back where they told me, that because I applied through that agency before and I expressed that I hate working somewhere where people gossip all day and are really chatty, I wouldn't really be fit for it. So all in all, they used my arguments on the why or why not against me... in a good way.

New Threads

Top Bottom