• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How Do You Know If You Got the Job After an Interview? How Do I Know?

popculturegeeknerd06

I have limited employment, job experience, but lately for the past 6 or 7 months i've started to become more assertive, aggressive in my Job Search, my most recent Job was at Target but unfortuneately it was only a Seasonal Job, so my Employment there was temporary. I got released on December 17th of last year, so 2 months ago, since then, i've been looking for a new job and I've had 2 Interviews so far this year, my most recent one was today at OSH, yes right now i'm only focused on getting an Entry-Level Job, Retail, Customer-Service, etc. I had an Interview at Home Depot last month but I did not get it. Anyway, it's making me feel somewhat better, because before I started working at Target, before I got hired there, not only was I unable to get hired anywhere I was unable to get an Interview in the first place, so the fact that i'm getting Job Interviews is making me feel a little better because it shows that employers are giving me at least Half of a Chance, yes I will also admit that me being age 24, i have limited employment, job experience for someone that age, but still, anyway, when it comes to Job Interviews do most employers let the applicant know on the Spot, immediately after the Interview that they get hired or not? or do most employers not contact the applicant a fews day later or more? I'm just taking more charge for my life now, i miss working at Target but I have to move on though.

I have had a feeling after the interview.

Try and get a business card so you can send an email thank you note. If not descretely call and ask for the person's email so you can send a thank you note via email. You can Google or go to Monster.com to learn what to write. Spend time reading about interviews on Monster or Career Builder or other websites.

A colleague of mine runs a job network at a church in the evenings. Look into finding one of those. They practice what is called as your elevator speech, how to say it. Very informal and no college education required. Lots of these groups around and you can pick up skills there. Better there than having all your eggs in one basket for the real interview.

I interview quite well, but it is practice. I even go on interviews I don't want for the practice. I am a professional and I work as a CPA. But I would do the same if applying for a grocery bagging job - really.

B

Usually they call you to tell you you're hired ;)

But all joking aside, I don't think there's a real guideline to knowing you're hired. Did you think the interview went well?

If this doesn't work out that well, are there any ways you can get support in search for a job through an employment agency?

And certainly don't feel bad if you don't get the job!

I have been on interviews and while this is unfair I knew they already hired who they wanted but they had to interview others to make it at least look good. Sometimes things will click between a prospective employee and interviewer. They both love say bowling. OK, now you don't stand a chance - sorry.

Look at the bright side, you got the interview which is HUGE. Many apply and don't make it that far - really. Very few actually get to the interview stage. And you could get beat by someone who has more experience, or it is as simple as the person got hired because they attend the same church - something you can't control. Unfair, maybe but it is life.

Remember, just getting an interview is a HUGE accomplishment.

Congrats,

B

but do most employers, do they let the applicant know they got hired or not immediately after the Interivew? on the Spot? or do most make you wait a couple of days?

In most cases they have more people that apply for the job and select the best after a certain cut-off date.

Sometimes that can be within a week, sometimes that can take a few months. At least, that's my experience. Best actually is, to keep the lookout for other jobs as well, just to be sure. Heck, I remember when I was on unemployment and had the obligations to apply for jobs, I had to apply for 15 jobs a week. Interview not neccesarily, but at least write or phone in and inquire about jobs and such.

I think that if you'd apply for a job at non-storechain thing... so have a talk with the owner or such, local store thing, they might tell you "you're hired". But storechains might go with 'we'll select one in a group".

I hate phone interviews. Maybe not enough inflection in my voice or too monotone? I don't do well with those, but face to face is OK. But phone interviews are a screening process now a days....

There is nothing wrong in asking what the time-line is? Meaning, do you intend to make a decision by the end of the week? Do you have more applicants to interview? When do you plan on making a decision. It tells you if you are first among many interviews or last. Often they will say I have two more interviews than I have to make a decision. Yes, some place may take a month? It depends on the situation.

They often ask me have I been on many interviews? Or where I am at. Meaning I could get an offer any day? I like to know if I am seriously considered. Some will tell me to phone them before I accept an offer, they really want me at this point. They now if I am the best so far. It is a game. No pressure. I just want to play my cards right and be fair to all involved. No burning bridges.

If anything I am honest. Matter of fact. It seems to work in my favor. No hidden agenda. But in my case I have credentials and that means a lot.

B

what I don't like is when you get rejected by an employer, they do not call you to let you know that you did not get hired, i don't like being strung, lead on for a while

what I don't like is when you get rejected by an employer, they do not call you to let you know that you did not get hired, i don't like being strung, lead on for a while
I would continue searching for new opportunities no matter what the result I thought would be. Could help to take mind off things.

I agree that it's annoying.. it's not professional either. But apparently companies think different about that

yeah i can't get it off my mind, my job interview yesterday, i'm obsessed thinking about it, desperately hoping I get the job, I want to have a life again.

is it recommended for applicants to call back the next day after the interview to do a follow-up on the application, ask what is the hiring status? i did not call back the next day because i did not want to come across as too pushy, or desperate.

is it recommended for applicants to call back the next day after the interview to do a follow-up on the application, ask what is the hiring status? i did not call back the next day because i did not want to come across as too pushy, or desperate.
I've never heard of that. I think employer, hr person, whoever you're going to talk to might get annoyed by that. Did they give you a time limit, when did they promise to respond?

yeah they said within a couple of days but you know how people are, people say they will call you back but they never do
I think if they don't give you an answer within a week or 2 (probably better) it won't do any harm if you call them and ask, until then you should probably just wait.

yeah, having a job would help me get my mind off of girls a lot, because working at a job, or just having a job, in which you have to deal with helping, interacting with customers can help a person a lot socially, i believe it would help me a lot

yeah, having a job would help me get my mind off of girls a lot, because working at a job, or just having a job, in which you have to deal with helping, interacting with customers can help a person a lot socially, i believe it would help me a lot

The same thing could be said for having hobbies. But I can understand that hobbies cost money, and you don't have that cause you need a job and such... but just sayin... a good hobby is quality time to take your mind of things.

When I applied at subway they called me in a week after for an intverview. Once me and the boss sat down she told me " after looking at your application I can tell the interview is just formal, I will most likely hire you but I still have to ask you some questions to make sure your not crazy or somthing"

Really a few things can tell you if you may get the job or not. If the person asks few questions and does not seem interested, or if they rush through the interview this means they don't really plan on hiring you i think.

If they get into really spisific questions about your past jobs and your work ethics they may be looking o hire you.

Every job interview is different, no one answer applies to every job interview.

Eye contact and a lot of nodding helps in an interview too

New Threads

Top Bottom