• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How Do You Know If You Got the Job After an Interview? How Do I Know?

They'll generally call or contact you somehow shortly after an interview. I say if you havent beard anything within a week or so, move on.
I personally wish that they'd send an email if they rejected you, so you know for sure, but most employers don't do this.

If I were you, I'd just keep applying at target if you have experience there and loved it so much. Just make sure you let them know how much you loved it. :p best if luck to you!

still unemployed, i've now had 11 job interivews this year, seriously, i think the reason why i got hired at Target last Fall as a seasonal employee around the holidays, is that entry-level service jobs in retail such as Target, Walmart, they are less picky on who they hire during the holidays than they do during the regular, normal time of year, experience and qualifications are not as important for a seasonal job than they are for a permanent job, whether that permanent job is full-time or part-time

I'm fairly knowledgable about this area. If anyone needs any advice, feel free to hit me up. Getting a job/looking for a job is a game. Learning the rules, the vocabulary etc...gives one a leg up on the competition. I know, cause in my youth, I could never get a good job. In fact, I got the worst until I learned how to play the game. Good luck!

I've been unemployed for about 10 months and I must say, it has been nothing but a hell journey while having a heck of a lot of interviews and getting rejected countless amounts of times from getting emails in a no reply format saying that 'I regret to inform you that you weren't the candidate for the job as there is a closer candidate to our match' etc or just simply getting no calls or anything back from them after an interview or filled in an application form.

In the UK, unemployed people would have to go through the whole Job Centre system and claim Job Seekers Allowance where you would be pushed massively to apply for a minimum of 6 jobs every 2 weeks (which I normally do more in case they change their policy with their benefit system). The most dreadful thing I've experienced from it is having some of the people I knew saying that I weren't trying hard enough as well as the job centre advisors. Went through a 12 week work programme which I personally thought was helpful on my part, got a couple of work experience out of it at Nandos and Marks & Spencers and yet, I was not hired because they were full up and weren't both recruiting anybody. Felt like I worked my arse off for nothing and thought of it as a waste of time and space if it did not get me somewhere. It got to the point where I had to be put on a 2 years work programme. From then, I saw myself sinking and sinking into depression and was feeling like giving up. What got me out of it was a lot of prayers, determination and most of all, endurance.

I only recently got hired at a restaurant which sells some pretty good food. Thanks to the experience that I gained at Nandos, it actually got me a pretty good position there and as far as I know, I seem to be enjoying it more than actually being at home or going through one appointments to another, running from one location to another etc.
Now get this. Lately, I've been getting calls from different companies for interviews and just long so long ago, Marks & Spencers. It all eventually turns the other way round.

Managed to sign off job seekers allowance but yet, I now have to pay tax towards the claim, still I personally think its better not even to be on the system based on my experience.
Don't give up is my message to anyone who are job seekers looking for employment. Then it would bring you to the next question, how do I last?

I am currently employed.

Like movies such as '3 Idiots', if the boss or HR head talks about the job scope, you're halfway there. If you do really well, you're talking about your salary, and you get hired.

Just hang on there and feel excited in your job, with all the challenges thrown at you in interviews. You will learn a lot about other companies and other people, regardless of the outcome of the interview.

is it recommended for applicants to call back the next day after the interview to do a follow-up on the application, ask what is the hiring status? i did not call back the next day because i did not want to come across as too pushy, or desperate.

No, don't. They often don't have a decision for a week or longer--remember they've got a lot more to do in their days than just select a candidate. It's not unusual for it to take a week for retail, and a month for every $10,000 in salary for full-time employment positions.

One thing I've learnt it most employers never get back to you when they say they will. After a few weeks it doesn't hurt to call and ask how the process is going. It shows you're interested and enthusiastic. :)

No, don't. They often don't have a decision for a week or longer--remember they've got a lot more to do in their days than just select a candidate. It's not unusual for it to take a week for retail, and a month for every $10,000 in salary for full-time employment positions.

I had a letter in with my resume that I sent in first, then I brought a copy of the resume with the letter to the interview and I did a thank you letter the day after the interview. They ended up calling me that same day and offered me a job. I really think the thank you letter sealed it.

I had a letter in with my resume that I sent in first, then I brought a copy of the resume with the letter to the interview and I did a thank you letter the day after the interview. They ended up calling me that same day and offered me a job. I really think the thank you letter sealed it.

I do, too. I'm curious, did you email the t-y or did you handwrite it?

When I applied at subway they called me in a week after for an intverview. Once me and the boss sat down she told me " after looking at your application I can tell the interview is just formal, I will most likely hire you but I still have to ask you some questions to make sure your not crazy or somthing"

Really a few things can tell you if you may get the job or not. If the person asks few questions and does not seem interested, or if they rush through the interview this means they don't really plan on hiring you i think.

If they get into really spisific questions about your past jobs and your work ethics they may be looking o hire you.

Every job interview is different, no one answer applies to every job interview.

Eye contact and a lot of nodding helps in an interview too
Well said ThDude.

I do, too. I'm curious, did you email the t-y or did you handwrite it?

Aspergirl4hire, Unless you're aware of a specific preference for snail mail - whether by the person you're sending the t-y to, or an industry specific courtesy etc.. - - just an FYI that emailed t-y's are now pretty standard.

Check your emails whn you get back, or the next day, or check your Land line or Mobile (Americans call it Cell phone) for a message from the employer confirming whether or not you got the job.

For example, in August 2011 I attended an interview for South Yorkshire Police Special Constabulary, I knew when I came out I'd failed on the competencies, 2 days later I got a letter confirming this.

Last edited:
Did any of them give you reasons why they didn't hire you?

I mean, if you can't land a job, they should at some point give you an idea why you can't get a job. I'm sure not all of them do, but some might if you ask for it. Besides if you head for the job center, they'd usually ask you "why didn't you get those jobs?" thus knowing why you don't have it benefits you as well as them for guidance.

Officially they can't not hire you directly because you're Aspie or have any other disability, but as I've been saying for years, the Equality laws have so many loopholes that they can bin your application for that without directly saying so and get away with it.

New Threads

Top Bottom