• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

hi!

autism opossum

Your Free Therapist
mostly mute self-diagnosed young high functioning autistic here. My parents won't take me for an assessment because I "want to be autistic," which is not true. I know that I am autistic, and don't want to be.

1707945860259.png

Welcome. We do not judge you or anyone else here.

The main reason an assessment is a good idea for a young person is that more services are available to young people than to adults. It depends on where you live. In my state, in the US, autistic adults can sometimes get services if they have an official diagnosis before their 18th birthday.

Hello, welcome. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. What special interests do you enjoy?

Welcome @autism opossum .
I hope you find connecting with us here to be helpful.
It has been for me, and I wasn't diagnosed until in my 50's.

Getting a diagnosis while young would offer helpful opportunities for adult life.
I hope you may find a way to get what you need.

Hi! Let me share something from a parent's perspective.

It is easier to go with the diagnosis route than not. My child would get access to services, to benefits, to easier college admissions/scholarships. Plus I don't have to put up with the school treating me like crap for going against their recommendation.

The only upside to "going against the grain" so to speak is that I've deemed it in my child's best interest to not to go down this route. For instance, I might not see significant evident of distress in my child's life, and I might want my child to develop an identity outside of any label. For example, one of my kids has extreme sensory issues. We aren't diagnosing it, we .... simply don't force him to be uncomfortable and he's fine that way.

Now, particular to your situation. Your parents are saying you "want to be autistic" - which tells me that they are not seeing the distress in your life, or at least not connecting your distress to a possible diagnosis.

To be honest, I would not take my kid for an assessment just because they scored a certain score on an online quiz. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, just trying to get you to see from your parents' perspective.

I would take my kid in for an assessment if they came home crying, if the teachers told me that the kid is making inappropriate facial expressions, if their essays showed black & white thinking, if they had no friends, if they had social anxiety, etc - all signs that they are in distress, and needed genuine help.

I'd suggest reframing your need for an assessment as a need to get support in your struggles, and being open with your parents about your hardships and in what ways your life is being impacted. If you're being bullied, say so. If you're unable to make friends, say so. And so on...

Hello.

If you're in school, have you talked to someone there about your thoughts perhaps? They may have access to resources available.

New Threads

Top Bottom