• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi, I'm new here and also new to the spectrum

HermitCrab

I don't know how to start, but I searched and searched and looked into other's posts. So I think this is the right place for me.
(If my language or word choice comes as offensive, please tell me. English is not my native language and I acknowledge that I lack many understandings in the community)

I'm 28 years old and thought I was 'normal' my whole life, even I know that I'm a weirdo to everyone.
I studied clinical psychology, I even worked with autistic children for month and I was quite closed to my junior who's been diagnosed with autism. I was pleasant with their company without realizing anything.
I just felt that I'm weird, loner, quite anti-social because everything tired me out. But I can live by myself like others.

Just until recently, that I found something 'click' in me.
More autism voices, more neurodivergent posts, from who's proudly autistic and voice their experience.
I read them because I want to understand more as an ally, but most of the things I read screams 'That's me!!!'
Most of the times, I cry. It felt like I found my place, found that there are also someone like me who struggles the same things like me.
They also have 'the rules' like I have, which others will never understand why I have to follow those rules. They're easily getting tire in social events, which I was always sick after attend to the large social events. They also felt like screaming when there was a strange sound in the usual quite place.

The most troublesome topic for me is keeping friends, I do make friends, though I'm not that friendly. If I want, I can be as eager to make a new friend. But if I'm given a choice, I will not do it. Which seems never be happen in our society.
But the problem is, if I'm not around them, like I graduated now, I feel like I cannot maintain the relationship. It's hard for me to just text them to say hi, to chitchat, or even comment something on their birthdays. I don't know how to explain, but it's hard. It's hard to think about the topic to talk when we're not closed by or shared the same environment.
I think that I'm terrible, I just leave my friends behind when I move forward to a new place. But they're still precious to me. I just don't know how to keep our friendship to be the same at that time. I feel lonely when I saw them talk to each other online, and I don't know how to put myself there.

Finding out that I might be autistic, yes, just might be, make me burst to tears.
It's like I finally know why I'm like this. Why it's so hard for me when others can do it easily.
But I also felt stupid at the same time. I have Clinical Psychology degree for god's sake! Why don't I know if I'm really on the spectrum? Why did no one notice me when I studied?
Am I imagine things? Am I just self-diagnosed that found an excuse for my terrible self?

As a 28 years old with no one in my family with autism history makes it's hard for me to get an assessment, especially in my country.
I might never get an official diagnosis my whole life.
I feel so lost, I feel that yes, I have autism. But I will never know if I'm really have autism.
I don't know anyone to talk to, I don't think my friends who're psychologists will understand me because I was 'normal' with some quirky personalities my whole life. It's hard to think how to talk to someone like this, to make them understand what I feel and why I think like this.

I tried searching everything that's available online. And felt more and more 'clicking'. That's me, that's also me, we share the same struggle!
But I don't have any confidence to tell, because I might imagine things on my own and harm the community.

And I found this forum. I think I might find something here. At least an answer maybe? I also found that there are similar people like me who realize their autism when grown up and getting confused.
I don't know if I would find an answer of how valid my self-diagnosed. But at least, I feel safe to write this post here.

Such a long self introduction.
Hello

Welcome! So glad you have decided to join us. You are certainly not alone. May of us here are self-diagnosed. I believe self-diagnosis is totally "official" because no one can know you better than you. Also, autism is a spectrum.
The interesting thing to me is that I never really recognized my life until I self-diagnosed just a couple years ago. I'm now 69 years old. My diagnosis and subsequent research made me realize that I have actually had a good, successful life. That's a really good feeling. And I also realize that most of the good stuff is due to my autism. It's even more interesting that prior to my diagnosis, I thought I had a really crappy life. But, that was only because I didn't think through my history and put it all together in a cause-effect manner.
Life is difficult for everyone - autistic or not. We just have different difficulties. But difficult does not mean impossible. It's just difficult - still doable.
From your post, I'm confident you are going to do well and will end up happy in the autumn of you life - when you can retire with a smile on you soul.
Again, thanks for joining us!

1ed537c87c48bef58389f672db9fade8.png

Hello.

I am self identified also. I just figured it out and I am 54! It is very expensive here in USA to get an adult diagnosis so I probably never will. But this is o.k. A bit of paper changes nothing. I am still me.

Concerning friends - I need social connection sometimes. But I don't connect well with others in person. I am at my best with the internet because I can pick and choose, when and what I respond to. I do have friends in real life but only a few. I set reminders in my calendar to call them every two weeks or so and I keep notes about our last conversation so I have a place to reconnect with them.

Anyway, you are not alone and "weird" is wonderful. :)

Last edited:
Welcome.

:)

Whether you get a diagnosis or not, you’re welcome here, & may I be so bold as to say; try to change your description of yourself from “terrible self” to “worthwhile & intereresting,” or some other decently positive word(s).

I'm 28 years old and thought I was 'normal' my whole life, even I know that I'm a weirdo to everyone.

After a few decades of life and a couple of years studying autism and how I fit, it is clear to me that indeed, you were normal your whole life. All 28 years of it, and will be for the rest of your life.
Every individual is unique. "Normal" is a very broad subject, but your 28 years have been perfectly normal for you. You are just fine.
I guess you may not be old enough, but did you ever see the Mr. Rogers TV show? His main theme was that every person is unique and is unlike anyone else and that every person is who they are and that is OK. I have found that autism is simply a group of traits of who I am. It is me and that's OK.

Hi and welcome, I hope that you enjoy it here. Its ok to self diagnose. It's not unusual to do so with ASD1/Aspergers , as it wasn't noticed in earlier times. Also, diagnosis of women with ASD 1 is a muddle, as the criteria are based on males. The female phenotype appears to be a little different. If you have researched it and it fits, it is probably helpful to see if it is beneficial to assume that you are ASD 1.

Plenty of useful threads here to read and contribute to. Your English is fine, way better than any attempts I make in other languages!

:bicyclist::runner::car::bluecar::tractor::taxi::truck::bluecar::taxi::car::fireengine::lorry:

Welcome!

I can definitely related about sometimes moving away (from a place, school, job, etc.) and just losing all the connections I had built up, though I sometimes still wonder about them, but don't know how or when to reach out, and when I might reach out, they might have changed their phone or email address and now they're lost forever.

I don't know how to start, but I searched and searched and looked into other's posts. So I think this is the right place for me.
(If my language or word choice comes as offensive, please tell me. English is not my native language and I acknowledge that I lack many understandings in the community)

I studied clinical psychology, I even worked with autistic children for month and I was quite closed to my junior who's been diagnosed with autism. I was pleasant with their company without realizing anything.
I just felt that I'm weird, loner, quite anti-social because everything tired me out. But I can live by myself like others.

Just until recently, that I found something 'click' in me.
More autism voices, more neurodivergent posts, from who's proudly autistic and voice their experience.
I read them because I want to understand more as an ally, but most of the things I read screams 'That's me!!!'
Most of the times, I cry. It felt like I found my place, found that there are also someone like me who struggles the same things like me.
They also have 'the rules' like I have, which others will never understand why I have to follow those rules. They're easily getting tire in social events, which I was always sick after attend to the large social events. They also felt like screaming when there was a strange sound in the usual quite place.

The most troublesome topic for me is keeping friends, I do make friends, though I'm not that friendly. If I want, I can be as eager to make a new friend. But if I'm given a choice, I will not do it. Which seems never be happen in our society.
But the problem is, if I'm not around them, like I graduated now, I feel like I cannot maintain the relationship. It's hard for me to just text them to say hi, to chitchat, or even comment something on their birthdays. I don't know how to explain, but it's hard. It's hard to think about the topic to talk when we're not closed by or shared the same environment.
I think that I'm terrible, I just leave my friends behind when I move forward to a new place. But they're still precious to me. I just don't know how to keep our friendship to be the same at that time. I feel lonely when I saw them talk to each other online, and I don't know how to put myself there.

Finding out that I might be autistic, yes, just might be, make me burst to tears.
It's like I finally know why I'm like this. Why it's so hard for me when others can do it easily.
But I also felt stupid at the same time. I have Clinical Psychology degree for god's sake! Why don't I know if I'm really on the spectrum? Why did no one notice me when I studied?
Am I imagine things? Am I just self-diagnosed that found an excuse for my terrible self?

As a 28 years old with no one in my family with autism history makes it's hard for me to get an assessment, especially in my country.
I might never get an official diagnosis my whole life.
I feel so lost, I feel that yes, I have autism. But I will never know if I'm really have autism.
I don't know anyone to talk to, I don't think my friends who're psychologists will understand me because I was 'normal' with some quirky personalities my whole life. It's hard to think how to talk to someone like this, to make them understand what I feel and why I think like this.

I tried searching everything that's available online. And felt more and more 'clicking'. That's me, that's also me, we share the same struggle!
But I don't have any confidence to tell, because I might imagine things on my own and harm the community.

And I found this forum. I think I might find something here. At least an answer maybe? I also found that there are similar people like me who realize their autism when grown up and getting confused.
I don't know if I would find an answer of how valid my self-diagnosed. But at least, I feel safe to write this post here.

Such a long self introduction.
Hello
Welcome!

Welcome! So glad you have decided to join us. You are certainly not alone. May of us here are self-diagnosed. I believe self-diagnosis is totally "official" because no one can know you better than you. Also, autism is a spectrum.
The interesting thing to me is that I never really recognized my life until I self-diagnosed just a couple years ago. I'm now 69 years old. My diagnosis and subsequent research made me realize that I have actually had a good, successful life. That's a really good feeling. And I also realize that most of the good stuff is due to my autism. It's even more interesting that prior to my diagnosis, I thought I had a really crappy life. But, that was only because I didn't think through my history and put it all together in a cause-effect manner.
Life is difficult for everyone - autistic or not. We just have different difficulties. But difficult does not mean impossible. It's just difficult - still doable.
From your post, I'm confident you are going to do well and will end up happy in the autumn of you life - when you can retire with a smile on you soul.
Again, thanks for joining us!

Thank you. I don't know how to describe my feeling right now. I did not feel the warmth from someone like you from a long time.
Maybe because this is only the beginning for me? Everything seems new and a little bit scary. It's like I don't know how to set my foot on the next step without losing balance, or afraid of step on a landmine. I'm afraid to make a mistake, even I already made plenty of them.
I think I have not find it yet, the good stuff that come from my autism. Do you think my partner who's encourage me to find myself is one of them? My partner told me that yes, if I'm younger and in her care at school(She's teacher assistant), she will refer me to the psychologist to get diagnosis. She told me that I have many signs like her students, but she also never realized until I told her about my confusion.
I don't know if this should count, but I'm thankful that I have her.

Hello.

I am self identified also. I just figured it out and I am 54! It is very expensive here in USA to get an adult diagnosis so I probably never will. But this is o.k. A bit of paper changes nothing. I am still me.

Concerning friends - I need social connection sometimes. But I don't connect well with others in person. I am at my best with the internet because I can pick and choose, when and what I respond to. I do have friends in real life but only a few. I set reminders in my calendar to call them every two weeks or so and I keep notes about our last conversation so I have a place to reconnect with them.

Anyway, you are not alone and "weird" is wonderful. :)

At first I thought I had it really hard to realize this when I'm this 'old', but the more I learn, the more I search around, I find that I would never be too old to learn new things about myself. I still have long way to go. Thank you so much for your kind and caring. I am still me, yes, I should always keep this in mind.

I'm also at my best with the internet, I feel connect and it's easier to start a conversation with the topic we share the same interest instead of the conversation like 'how's your day?'. But I feel it's getting harder each day. Most social network platforms seem encourage people to engage with more volatile emotions, pry into more and more personal information. Sometimes I just suddenly feel drained after scrolling through the timeline and want to go somewhere 'quieter', even it's also the internet.
I don't know if I can call anyone that often, but maybe I will try calling someone someday. Now the most challenging task for me is dropping a hello to their messages after not contact them for almost 5 years.

Thank you so much Suzette, you're also wonderful.

Welcome.

:)

Whether you get a diagnosis or not, you’re welcome here, & may I be so bold as to say; try to change your description of yourself from “terrible self” to “worthwhile & intereresting,” or some other decently positive word(s).

Thank you. I will try. I still feel bad about myself, but this forum, all of the welcome here made me realize how kind this world can be. And I should be kind to myself too.
Maybe now I'm challenging? I have to learn and change, and I know that this is a good place to help me challenge myself.

New Threads

Top Bottom