• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi from Larraine in Florida

Larraine

My son does not like to be shaved. Is there a hair removal product that other parents/caregivers use instead of shaving?

What do you mean tho? Like how old is he? And what hair is it, is it his head hair or the hair on his face?

Is a beard not a possibility? Having your beard cut is a lot less sensitive than having someone messing around your neck with a sharp blade.

I have not shaved since I was 18.
To be clear, that’s going on 47 years now.

Last edited:
Hmm...

Here's what millions of men do, if they belong to ethnic or religious groups that are not allowed to trim their beards.

...Or if they have a long hippie beard and they want to go to a fancy occasion.

The men often twist their beard tight, roll the beard under, and then tuck the end underneath the chin, to keep it neat and tidy.

Sikh Men, Jewish men, Muslim Men, Amish Men, etc, all around the world, have done this for probably as long as time has been time.

1705676822465.png

Blade razors can be pretty brutal to the skin. And as you age, your skin surface may change, making it that much more difficult- and painful to shave. In my own case my neck has become quite sensitive. Apart from growing a beard since the pandemic, I use this product to shave my neck and keep my beard nice and neatly trimmed:

I may eventually shave off my beard using this shaver, and continue to use it given the comfort factor.

It won't give a shave as close as a blade razor, but then it's not likely to draw blood or irritate the skin through "razor burn". I can keep it all clean in less than five minutes this way. Give him a beard, and shorten the amount of time it takes for you to give him a shave. Win-win. ;)

Last edited:
Even when I was young and my facial hair soft shaving was uncomfortable and almost all shaving soaps caused a rash. The older I got the more my skin reacted to shaving.

As a compromise when I had to always keep myself looking clean and neat I used a set of electric hair clippers without a comb attachment, this kept the hair to a one day growth and caused no irritations.

I couldn't really grow a proper beard until I was in my late 30s, now I don't like being without one.

Hello and welcome, @Larraine.

I hope you get the answers you are hoping to find here.

Like others above, I wonder why shaving is a requirement for your son.

Welcome @Larraine.

Another member from Florida here.
Maybe shaving is a personal reason such as how he wants to look? Or a beard can be
a scratchy sensory issue?
Even the shaving may be an uncomfortable feeling.
I've heard some men say they don't like the feel of a beard when trying to sleep.

I'm no expert on this subject, but the sound of using a non-irritating hair trimmer
sounds like the way I would go if I were a man.
Hope you find something that works.

New Threads

Top Bottom