• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello! New here and searching for some answers.

hypergirl96

Hello, Hypergirl here! I am a twenty year old mechanical engineering student diagnosed with combine type ADHD who is currently questioning whether or not she could possibly fall somewhere on the low autistic spectrum.

My brother was diagnosed with being very low on the autistic spectrum when he was young. And I can definitely see the symptoms in him now and how they affect him and our family and how they will affect him socially when he goes off to college, but he's far too prideful to admit to having a problem (likely doesn't even realize it) and I don't know if my parents ever told him since it hasn't really affected him all that much as of yet.

But there are definitely some key symptoms to Aspergers that I have, though in small quantities. Most notably my sensitivity to noise and my inability to really picture and remember faces in my head plus my social issues (though I always chalked those up to social anxiety). I've always enjoyed finding the patterns and solving the puzzles in mystery games. I love math and calculus, however I am also creative and pretty good at getting into fictional characters' heads (which I know isn't that typical for aspies, from what I've read). I routinely mistake social cues and am of the honest opinion that few people have any interest in my presence at all. I have been called cold and emotionless because I don't react to things the way others would and seem unaffected by things that should deeply effect me (such as the death of my grandfather) and am often chided for not realizing when people need space or help and also been called non-empathetic for that too. I'm working on it, but it's hard.

I am very talkative and do enjoy being around people, but in small doses and numbers and I absolutely hate loud parties or large social gatherings and would honestly rather just stay home or go out and do something else. I vacillate between being good at making friends and bad at making friends (depending on the situation) but am absolutely horrible at keeping them and keeping in touch. I'm just horrible at the whole friendship thing. I also talk way too much (if you haven't noticed) and can go on tangents for forever about things that others may be totally uninterested in that very circuitous ADHD way of mine while also repeating myself until someone tells me that I am. I also have a very hard time engaging in conversation or a relationship when we don't have anything in common or I am uninterested in the conversation topic. I'll tend to zone out/walk away/not even join in on the conversation. And while a lot of this can be chalked up to ADHD, some of this can't be explained by that diagnosis.

I took an online screening test just to see what it would say and got an AQ score of 31 and thus thought that this may be something to look into. So here I am! Look forward to meeting and talking to you all and possibly getting some advice. After all, if mild Aspergers really is the source of the problem, that could help me in identifying and improving my behavior and improving socially.

Hey!, you born in the same year as me! :V
Nevertheless, hello and welcome =P. I admit to have seen this thread tonight when it had no replies, but I was getting into bed already =X
One thing that has put me wondering, is the fact that your experiences are very similar top mine, but just like your brother I don't like the idea of admitting to my issues though only with my family; I try to appear strong from outside even if I'm truly breaking apart, but that's just to not give a bad impression and avoid further issues. Even though everything points towards it, I never had any "official" Asperger diagnosis, and I hope they never find out what I am. I just don't want to look like a loser =(
I like patterns, and I find maths to be fairly easy, but I like most the fractal art (those done by programming certain "pattern rules" in PC and dumping to a framebuffer), and am very hard-minded to learn more information and stuff with Calculus.
Hope to see you in the Chat some day! :D

After all, if mild Aspergers really is the source of the problem, that could help me in identifying and improving my behavior and improving socially.

It just makes you "different" and to stand out among a social majority. But not necessarily deficient. ;)

Welcome to AC.

Answers are 55 cents. Or two for a dollar. ;) WAGs of course are always free.

I think the concept that aspies aren't good at creativity/imagination (like getting inside fictional characters heads) is a misconception. They may actually be above the average in that respect. Artistry of all kinds is well represented in HFA-land.

Your symptoms match other HFA's reasonably well although its hard to say with certainty. Alot of HFAs seem to be in a greyish area shared with other things.

It just makes you "different" and to stand out among a social majority. But not necessarily deficient. ;)

Welcome to AC.

Well, in my case,I struggle with casual conversation. Once I get comfortable with someone, I'm fine, it's just getting over that hump.

Anyways, welcome to the forums. I've gained alot of insight into my quirks.

New Threads

Top Bottom