• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Happy Earth Day!

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
I just heard the first robin of the year singing loudly "Cheer! Cheer! Cheer! Cheer!"

Here are a few ways I'm celebrating Earth Day, one of my favorite holidays:

*I've been a stickler for proper recycling lately.

*I've been using baking soda instead of shampoo the past few times. Man it really softens and defrizzes my type 3c curls.

*We are going to go out in a while to spread a few boxes of local wildflower seeds around some empty lots in our area.

*We're also going to hang our clothes to dry after the laundry is done.

What are you doing today?

I will be visiiing the flower market to get a couple of lotus blossoms to fold and offer to a shrine of the Buddha.

I've done my part by not having children, though I must admit to being wasteful: mea culpa. Yet my carbon footprint will not extend into the future. Here is a little something. I love our planet and its natural history. When we are gone the earth will heal.

Last edited:
Went out in nature yesterday & looked at the river. Watched a hawk for awhile.

Moved some crates by bicycle instead of in the car. Surprisingly doable. I need to make a few more adjustments & keep working on moving away from the car.

For me, pretty much every day is going to have to be Earth Day. I don't feel young--lost is more like it-- but the calendar says I'm quite young. Plan on living here for awhile so I might as well not keep trashing stuff any worse than it already is.

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na
Today is your Earth Day,
Happy Earth Day to ya...
full

Hosting a nice bunch of young people on our eco-farmstay. We bought this land in 2010 to preserve the 50 hectares of hugely species-diverse Australian sclerophyll on it, by NOT bulldozing it, and NOT putting 2,000 goats into it. We manage it with the traditional indigenous small-scale mosaic burning that's taken place here for over 30,000 years, and also have a 12-hectare smallholding on the (previously) cleared part, where we grow a fair bit of our own food and plant shelter belts back into the landscape. We built our own passive-solar eco-friendly off-grid house on it, which took us five years all up to do. We use less than 20% of the electricity of the average Australian household, make what we use onsite entirely from solar, and have a thermally stable house that I designed not to need air-conditioning in summer, or much top-up heating in winter (we use our small wood heater about two evenings a week in winter just to top up the hot water mostly).

This is a drone clip a guest gave us two years ago, at the end of summer, after three years of drought. The trees around the house and the livestock paddocks were all planted by us, over 6,000 in ten years - native bird populations soared around our place in response, and of course it's good stock shelter, carbon storage and erosion control as well. The bushland behind is natural.

You can go for a virtual horseback ride with me on our place to see it firsthand and hear about its natural history at this link.

Went for a hike. It was an area I'd never been to before and was very enjoyable. I spent awhile just sitting and listening to the birds singing. I didn't even realise it was Earth day until afterwards. It seemed a fitting way to spend Earth day.

In Spanish that is said: "Zasca, en toda la cara"

:D:D:D

Google Translate didn't know what Zasca was, but I found it elsewhere. Thanks for the Spanish lesson. :sunglasses: We have a Spanish speaker from Mexico sleeping in our house tonight! :)

New Yorkers say, "Mind your own (adjective) business."

Germans say, "Sweep your own doorstep first." ;)

Hosting a nice bunch of young people on our eco-farmstay. We bought this land in 2010 to preserve the 50 hectares of hugely species-diverse Australian sclerophyll on it, by NOT bulldozing it, and NOT putting 2,000 goats into it. We manage it with the traditional indigenous small-scale mosaic burning that's taken place here for over 30,000 years, and also have a 12-hectare smallholding on the (previously) cleared part, where we grow a fair bit of our own food and plant shelter belts back into the landscape. We built our own passive-solar eco-friendly off-grid house on it, which took us five years all up to do. We use less than 20% of the electricity of the average Australian household, make what we use onsite entirely from solar, and have a thermally stable house that I designed not to need air-conditioning in summer, or much top-up heating in winter (we use our small wood heater about two evenings a week in winter just to top up the hot water mostly).

This is a drone clip a guest gave us two years ago, at the end of summer, after three years of drought. The trees around the house and the livestock paddocks were all planted by us, over 6,000 in ten years - native bird populations soared around our place in response, and of course it's good stock shelter, carbon storage and erosion control as well. The bushland behind is natural.

You can go for a virtual horseback ride with me on our place to see it firsthand and hear about its natural history at this link.

I'm a little envious, I did something similar. Bought a property and started working on it, I have put a lot of time into it. But I realized a while ago that I forgot one important thing, it's not possible for one person alone to do everything. I'm exhausted and there is not enough hours in a day to get everything done and survive at the same time. Should have thought about that. If anyone wants to do this kind of project, make sure you are at least two. Or it will most likely break you.

What did I do for earth day, I did not know it was earth day but I picked some trash on the side of the road that passes by my property. It's nice to clean everything up after winter.

I'm a little envious, I did something similar. Bought a property and started working on it, I have put a lot of time into it. But I realized a while ago that I forgot one important thing, it's not possible for one person alone to do everything. I'm exhausted and there is not enough hours in a day to get everything done and survive at the same time. Should have thought about that. If anyone wants to do this kind of project, make sure you are at least two. Or it will break you.

What did I do for earth day, I did not know it was earth day but I picked some trash on the side of the road that passes by my property. It's nice to clean everything up after winter.

We get it - because we're doing this just the two of us and Brett works in town 4 days a week. The to-do list is always longer than what can be accomplished with the time and energy available. Having said that, we have managed to do a lot of stuff on that place in ten years (when we bought it the cleared part was just grass, no buildings, house, garden, internal fencing, or shelter belts), and I have to remind myself to look at that, and not at the fact that I'm always behind planting, that there's weeds in places I wish they weren't, that one bee hive still needs attention, that Part 2 of window cleaning remains to be done, that the barge re-painting I began in January actually needs finishing, and I should really be training Julian (half-brother of my riding horse who died in November, who would like some adventures and is nearly finished saddle pre-training) and doing Pilates, etc etc etc. And we're still working on the attic, and I still need to find someone with a post-hole digger so we can put in strainer posts to upgrade the fencing in the western third of our pasture, so I can put older cattle in there as well.

To deal with the exhaustion, we've had to put in two strict rest/recreation days a week, where we only do complete essentials. Mostly we abide by it.

Have you got WWOOFers in Norway? Maybe they could help? They can't here because the Australian government has made it difficult.

Good on you for cleaning up. (I wish that stuff ended up automatically in the lounge rooms of the litterers, always, until they learnt to take care.)

Got any photos of what you're doing?

Nice. I have 40 acres. Alas I am losing a lot of Ash to the Emerald Ash Borer. I have been fighting invasives. Managed to clear them out of two acres between the house and a pond and replant with native tall grasses, Indian Grass, Big Bluestem and Littlr Bluestem. Right now the spring peepers are making a racket at the pond, but in June I really enjoy hearing the grey tree frogs in our woods.

Our worst invasive is Autumn Olive. Stupid people planted it in Michigan thinking its berries will be food for birds. They aren't. Worst is that it fixes nitrogen. Here on the old glacial moraines native plants evolved in nutrient poor conditions and the extra nitrogen kills them. The only agent that works is a herbicide called Triclopyr. I do not spray it but cut the Autumn Olive to the stumps and paint them with it.

Last edited:
I'm a little envious, I did something similar. Bought a property and started working on it, I have put a lot of time into it. But I realized a while ago that I forgot one important thing, it's not possible for one person alone to do everything. I'm exhausted and there is not enough hours in a day to get everything done and survive at the same time. Should have thought about that. If anyone wants to do this kind of project, make sure you are at least two. Or it will most likely break you.

Less Sea and land creatures will die thats good for everything ^-^

My Earth Day focused on providing our own food. We planted 6 tomato and 6 pepper plants, a good mix of heirlooms and old standby plants that never fail. Husband planted several rows of Kentucky Wonder green beans and Rattlesnake beans. He's working today on trellises to support the beans. I planted 6 Kirby cucumber plants this morning in hope of making pickles this summer. A rainstorm is coming this afternoon which is good for the new plants.

My mixed lettuces and sugar snap peas are flourishing, and I'm still picking kale and Swiss chard that I planted last fall. Figs, pears, peaches and our sorry-looking apple tree all have baby fruits. (Apples don't do well here because it's too hot, moist and buggy.) The blueberry bushes are loaded with fruit, and the muscadine vines have lovely little grape clusters on them.

Gardening and being able to walk into our backyard to pick vegetables for dinner has really helped my mental state for the past two years.

Less Sea and land creatures will die thats good for everything ^-^

I agree with you up to a point, and I don't want to start an argument, but vegetable gardening kills all pre-existing plants and all wildlife that previously lived where the vegetables are planted. Wildlife is deemed a predator of and competitor for the vegetables and, therefore, is poisoned or killed by the farmers. Vegetarians and vegans are loath to kill farm raised animals for food but apparently have little concern about the destruction of biodiversity caused by gardening. Feedlot and industrial animal production is hideous and cruel, but cattle, hogs, chickens, etc. can be ethically and humanely raised without wiping out wildlife and native plants. There needs to be a balance in human food production so we don't destroy what little biodiversity remains on earth. The oceans are already overfished and polluted with plastic and other toxic substances so aquaculture seems the best course if we want to keep eating seafood.

New Threads

Top Bottom