• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greatest Horror (scary) Movies

I work in an industrial laundry, so of course my favorite scary movie is The Mangler! Don't bother with 2 & 3 though.

As much as I love a good scare, I have yet to find something that really scary.

The entire tension thing horror movies have, doesn't really get over well with me. I just don't get affected by sudden scares or building tension. Perhaps it's my absent mind and the inability to sit down and keep focused on that movie. Perhaps it's also that I can tel myself "it's not real, it's just a movie".

However, I do enjoy a fair amount of gore... but it's obviously not "scary".

What however makes me reflecton what I just saw in regards to horror is any kind of "body horror". Not necessarily scary while watching, but it'll get a bit more under your skin (no pun intended) afterwards. The notion of becoming something else seems to resonate more than conventional scare tactics.

The thing (the 1980's version; and to some extent the 2011 version) is still among my favorites, as is the 1980's adaption of The fly. In terms of body horror, the Aliens franchise does something similar as well. And regardless on how terrible those movies are; The human centipede, Saw or Hostel even fit that genre, even if it's just for the notion of "imagine it was you in that situation".

Have you seen the Saw series? You sound like you could get over the gore aspect enough to appreciate the story line, itself. Everyone's big turnoff with those movies is all the gore (because yeah, it is a hack-and-slash gorefest), but the story line is actually pretty interesting.

Have you seen the Saw series? You sound like you could get over the gore aspect enough to appreciate the story line, itself. Everyone's big turnoff with those movies is all the gore (because yeah, it is a hack-and-slash gorefest), but the story line is actually pretty interesting.

Yes, I've seen those... the story itself was fairly entertaining, the "traps"... meh. On a similar note, there's also the Hostel series. Where part 1 was decent, but the sequels weren't even mediocre.

I'm sorry but the greatest horror movie of all time has to be The Exorcist and it was so damn scary that I haven't watched it again since I last saw it at the age of nine years old :( I hate that movie so damn much :|

I'm sorry but the greatest horror movie of all time has to be The Exorcist and it was so damn scary that I haven't watched it again since I last saw it at the age of nine years old :( I hate that movie so damn much :|

Gosh, I'm not surprised! That is no film for a nine year old to watch :hushed: I watched it for the first time last year and it was pretty terrifying. On a different note, it's good to know big brother is watching me ;) 1984 rules...totalitarianally (just made totalitarianism into an adverb)

The [·rec] series
The Orphanage
The Shining
Cabin in the Woods
Saw series
Scream series

I saw that for the first time a few weeks ago and wasn't even slightly impressed. I could imagine that watching it as a child might be scary but as an adult I just found the whole thing to be bland.

Dawn of the dead (the remake, I haven't seen the original) frightened me to death when I was younger. :p

Nowadays, I don't get frightened by horror. :)

Gosh, I'm not surprised! That is no film for a nine year old to watch :hushed: I watched it for the first time last year and it was pretty terrifying. On a different note, it's good to know big brother is watching me ;) 1984 rules...totalitarianally (just made totalitarianism into an adverb)

I though the novel was not only a bit unnerving but quite depressing and miserable :( I'm still wondering if rebellious ideas were implanted into Winston's head :/

I saw that for the first time a few weeks ago and wasn't even slightly impressed. I could imagine that watching it as a child might be scary but as an adult I just found the whole thing to be bland.

If you though the first movie was bland then you should see the second one :p The sequel was idiotic and not scary at all and the flying demon was annoying as hell. XD

That's for sure!!! I was surprised that Richard Burton was in it. His rent must have been due. The third movie was tolerable, whereas the fourth reminded me of the second. It was a lame prequel. That's one of those movies that should have stood alone without any sequels or prequels.

I don't think the second movie was tolerable for people with sensory issues or is easily overwhelmed as I hated the scenes with flying demon :| Wasn't Richard Burton in some lame Godzilla movie that the MST3K guys riffed on once ? XD

Actually there's two version of the fourth one if it's the movie about Father mariam's past or the priest who lost his faith and traveled down to Africa to reclaim it :/ The other version was sort of lame as well with a couple of good jump scares, but it also had the same actor who played Will Turner's father in the POTC movies :p

I would sort of defend Exorcist II as a compulsively watchable bad movie (with a bizarre heavy metal soundtrack from the great Ennio Morricone), depending on what mood I'm in (but that's coming from someone who actually likes Exorcist II director John Boorman's somewhat infamous sci-fi movie Zardoz in which Sean Connery runs around in a red diaper, so take that for what it's worth). I remember thinking Exorcist III was pretty good, it has possibly the greatest jump scare in cinema history if nothing else. The two prequel movies are very skippable, or at least the one I saw was (Dominion, I think that was the one directed by Paul Schrader, who I think pretty much disowned it), I don't really remember much about it except that it kind of put me to sleep.

GoofKing: Richard Burton was never in a Godzilla movie, this might be the one you're thinking about though (an American actor named Robert Dunham appears in it):

Godzilla vs. Megalon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1. The original “Night of the Living Dead.”
2. “The Devil’s Rejects” (actually most Rob Zombie films)
3. “The Girl Next Door” which was based on a true story. This is the most sickening of all.

New Threads

Top Bottom