• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greatest Horror (scary) Movies

Anything with clowns, I hate clowns. Not the nice Red Skelton clowns, but the scary ones.

You know, none of it scares me anymore. Truth is that I have seen so much death etc in real life that it just doesn't bother me.

As much as I love a good scare, I have yet to find something that really scary.

The entire tension thing horror movies have, doesn't really get over well with me. I just don't get affected by sudden scares or building tension. Perhaps it's my absent mind and the inability to sit down and keep focused on that movie. Perhaps it's also that I can tel myself "it's not real, it's just a movie".

However, I do enjoy a fair amount of gore... but it's obviously not "scary".

What however makes me reflecton what I just saw in regards to horror is any kind of "body horror". Not necessarily scary while watching, but it'll get a bit more under your skin (no pun intended) afterwards. The notion of becoming something else seems to resonate more than conventional scare tactics.

The thing (the 1980's version; and to some extent the 2011 version) is still among my favorites, as is the 1980's adaption of The fly. In terms of body horror, the Aliens franchise does something similar as well. And regardless on how terrible those movies are; The human centipede, Saw or Hostel even fit that genre, even if it's just for the notion of "imagine it was you in that situation".

The funny thing is, I am never scared by horror movies--and this is ironic because I cry at movies and TV all the time! I thought The Exorcist was an excellent film, but found none of it frightening. Of course, Jaws has some truly terrific moments
(think of that scene where the camera is focused on the character throwing chum in the water and the shark suddenly rises up in the background)
, as does Alien.

My favorite, of course, has to be Stanley Kubrick's version of The Shining. A wonderful work of art on so many levels.

I'm quite the film/music aficionado. I tend to judge movies on three things: Actors, Cinematography, and Music. Not necessarily in that order, though. The horror films that I think ace all those categories are:

Insidious 1 & 2

Alien

Eraserhead

Altered States

The Shining

Jaws

Any Hitchcock film

Cabin In the Woods

Last edited:
Here's a few that I geniunely enjoyed and thought were worth watching.

-Alien

-Evil Dead II

-Antichrist

-The Exorcist

-Silent Hill

-Carrie (1976)

-Psycho

-The Omen

-The Conjuring

-The Silence of the Lambs

I don't think I've ever heard of that one. It looks like it might be a classic. Did it play here in the States?

Yes, Suspiria was released in the US (albeit in a slightly butchered form). A new Blu-Ray edition of it is supposed to come out sometime in the near future, but I don't know when.

This is the (much cheesier but still fun) US trailer (the skeleton thing at the beginning isn't actually in the movie):

And with commentary from The World's End director Edgar Wright:

Some of my faves. Blood and guts do nothing for me. I want something that leaves me thinking. There are lots of others but can't remember the names of them.

The original Shining (didn't know there was a remake)
The original 70s Amityville
Dead End
Blair Witch
Silent Hill
Case 39
Beneath
The Return

But the best one... The Ring. The scariest part was when they showed the tape. The imagery was so disturbing, it scared me unlike any other movie ever has.

But the best one... The Ring. The scariest part was when they showed the tape. The imagery was so disturbing, it scared me unlike any other movie ever has.

:D

This is another Japanese horror movie that's worth seeing even though it's more goofy and weird than scary (but still a little scary):

I am not really into Japanese stuff, can't get into anime or anything, but I really liked Pulse (Kairo) and I probably would like other Japanese horror films. One day I'll get around to watching them. I like a lot of the other films mentioned.

Kubrick's The Shining is a masterwork. The other TV one was uh, not to my liking.

The first Evil Dead movie freaked me out if I remember correctly.

I like anything with haunted houses, especially films based on Shirley Jackson's or Robert Matheson's work, I love film noir and the entire era of classic horror, Hitch and Chris Lee, Lon Chaney, Bela Lugosi, Hammer Films, Vincent Price, soo many others.

I'm not into gore as much as psychological scares. I have never seen Hostel or Saw or any of those kinds. I was raised on Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and others of that era. They were pretty tame and cheesy and I liked 'em a lot. :D

I wonder if anyone else has a DVD Aficionado account.

If you like haunted house movies, have you ever seen this one:

I saw it at the theater when it first came out. It was a little cheesy, but better than most of that genre.

I don't think I have. Ooh, cheesy and about a house? That's right up my alley. Thanks Sportster. I'll have to watch it when I'm in movie mode. :)

*edit- ooh with Linda Blair, excellent

You also might enjoy this one. I think it came out about the same time as Hell Night. It's another cheesy horror flick, but instead of a haunted house it's a carnival fun house:

Ooh, I remember that one! I saw it when it came out in vhs. But I don't remember what it's about, so it's time for a refresher. :D

A few of my favourites are:
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Psycho (1960)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Hausu (1977)
House of the Devil (2009)
Santa Sangre (1989)
The Fly (1986)
Jaws (1975)
Repulsion (1965)