• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Getting diagnosis in NZ

zurb

Eschewer of Obfuscation
Seems to me there are a good number of kiwis here. So a question for NZers, and particularly Christchurch members....
What is it like getting diagnosed in NZ? What's involved? Any recommendations on where to go?
Currently we are self diagnosed, and might consider a more formal diagnosis if it is worth the hassle. Alternately, friends say they know a good place in Singapore as we will be passing through.

Any 'diagnosed' kiwis willing to share their experience and/or the process?

I'm not diagnosed yet but am in the process. I tried going to a psychologist but I don't fit the diagnostic criteria and have some "grey areas" because I'm too "high functioning". Doesn't help that I'm an adult so all the usual resources aren't beneficial to me since I am no longer a child. (Wtf?) I tried finding out if there was a way through the public health system (there isn't) and how much it cost to go private (too much) and eventually I emailed my local district health board to tell them how unimpressed I was and a lady from Adult Mental Health emailed me back to say they have this team that deals with situations where there's no clear path to diagnosis. Still awaiting the appointment. Should happen sometime this month.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I would be interested to hear more as you progress.

OK, my GP just saw me at my worst and is actually encouraging me to get a formal diagnosis for me and my older son, so we are back investigating options. If I can afford it, I will probably go private rather than waiting for the public health system.
I would really appreciate any recommendations of competent clinics anywhere in NZ and/or accounts of your experience. If you prefer, please PM me direct. Thanks.

Last edited:
I was diagnosed in CHCH 8 years ago (when I was about 21). I cant for the life of me remember who, where, or any useful details other then it would have been through some public system as we didnt have the money for private psychologists etc. Sorry that was rather unhelpful lol. Did you find somewhere/someone towards getting a diagnoses or are you still looking?

I was diagnosed about ten years ago, before then I did not really know about aspergers. I have found that I the most significant impact of the diagnosis was being able to understand more of why I am the way I am, it has also been amazing knowing that I am not the only one whom experiences life this way. What benefits do you perceive having a diagnosis would help or hinder you?

I was diagnosed about ten years ago, before then I did not really know about aspergers. I have found that I the most significant impact of the diagnosis was being able to understand more of why I am the way I am, it has also been amazing knowing that I am not the only one whom experiences life this way. What benefits do you perceive having a diagnosis would help or hinder you?
As the psychologist explained to mum and I what Autism/Aspergers was and that she thought I had it, we just sat with our mouths open in disbelief of how every word was perfectly describing my life. Aspergers was by far the most helpful and relieving diagnoses of my life; finally we knew I wasnt just a ****-up, unable to follow directions or even pretend to be normal, let alone actually be normal. I finally had a reason for all those things I didnt have a reason for in my life! The day I got my diagnoses was the best day of my life, by far.

New Threads

Top Bottom