• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

General question about obsessive interests

Myrtonos

Do you guys have obsessions about physical entities, abstract entities, supernatural, or a combination of these.

Examples of physical entities: rivers, mountains, lakes, trees, dogs and buildings.

*Examples of abstract entities: legends, myths, gods, religions, nations and corporations.

Abstract thinking actually enables co-operation between people not tied by personal friendship, or even kinship. As far as man knows, any large scale co-operation of intelligent beings, such as a religion, or even a state society, is rooted in abstract thought.
Two or more people who've never met but follow the same religion can combine efforts for projects because they all share some beliefs in common. For example; Multiple Muslims who've never met can nevertheless combine efforts to build a lot in Dubai, such as the Burj Khalifa and the Palm Islands, due to belief in Allah being the beneficent and most merciful. As they are likely Emirati, their shared belief in the existence of the emirates with the nation called the United Arab Emirates, the various homelands of the U.A.E, and the flag of that nation. Belief in the existence of laws (or at least ones actually enforced), and other related beliefs, as well as the belief in money paid out in fees, gives two or more lawyers who've never met a way to defend a complete stranger.
Companies and corporations officially independent of founders are another abstract entity. There may exist many products of a company, but such entities could continue to exist even if every product of there disintegrated or were destroyed, still making more products and issuing an annual report. A company may own buildings, vehicles, etc, and employ workers, but even these together still don't comprise the company.
Suppose all the workers for the company resigned retired, lost their jobs, or even perished, and everything owned by the company were sold off or destroyed. Even then, the company could borrow money, hire new workers and buy new buildings, vehicles, etc.
A company could still exist after its managers were dismissed and shares sold. But if a judge were to mandate the dissolution of a company, it would vanish, even if its buildings, vehicles, etc, continued to exist, and workers, managers and shareholders continued to live.

*Examples of things with a supernatural existence: numbers, arithmetic, points, line segments, polygons.

This is another way of getting large groups of strangers to co-operate, at least in very technical areas. Two or more mathematicians who've never met could combine efforts to solve a maths problem, even if they are from different cultures that have had no prior encounters with one another, because of common knowledge theorems independently found and proven by the peoples of both cultures.
Two or more physicists who've never met, and of cultures that have never had any prior contact, could combine efforts in a observation or science experiment because of common knowledge of physical laws independently discovered in two or more cultures before contact.

Last edited:
I'm not too sure that I understand what you mean by "supernatural". From the examples you give it sounds like things that fall somewhere in between abstract and concrete, can be arguably either or neither depending on who you ask?

Well yes, numbers are like that. They do fall somewhere between abstract and concrete. The concept of numbers may have appeared independently in many cultures. Same with mathematics.
But one wouldn't expect cultures without any contact with each other to independently come to believe in the same gods, myths and legends, and certainly not independently concoct the same religion. Thus these only bring together strangers of the same culture, or from cultures that have had prior contact.
But supernatural phenomena, while otherwise similar to abstract phenomena, could conceivably have been found independently in cultures without any contact between them.

Not really. I can have short bursts of interest in characters or people, but it's never "Disney villains", it's always "Gaston". It's never "royals" or even "princes", just "Prince Harry".

I doubt the thing allowing, for instance, Muslims to cooperate is their belief that "Allah is good and merciful". Pretty sure it's just that they identify as belonging to the same group.

If you identify as wanting the same thing, cooperation also becomes possible.

Mine tend to revolve around artifacts. There is no greater thrill for me than to take an old, neglected, or broken historic thing and make it play, tell time, make a breeze, or place and receive calls just as it once did for previous generations. They give me a perspective of life in simpler times with tangible items that I can share with my own children and others. They sure grab attention, all the more so if they are operating!

I have two types of obsessions, one about tangible objects but my obsession will also extent to what that object creates be it tangible or intangible. So for example, I collect film cameras but I also am obsessed with photography and the act of taking the photo. Other obsessions are abstract such as genealogy, languages and so on but in order to facilitate those obsessions tangible objects may need to be used, a computer, ør books. So I think the lines are pretty blurred.

New Threads

Top Bottom